IGNORED

Atomic Disco 2

graywest

Hello everyone!

I've been working on a new game off and on for the past few months. It's finally in a playable state, but it needs a lot of work. I thought I'd post it here as a work in progress to get some suggestions.

You control the pulsating blue "atom" at the left edge of the screen. Use the controller to move up and down. You will bounce off the top and bottom walls of the reactor, as well as any of the blue obstacles on the screen.

Collect the pulsating yellow or green atoms to score. For each atom collected of a single color, the bonus multiplier will increase. For example, collecting a green atom is worth 100 points. Collecting a second green atom is worth 125 points, the third green atom 150 points, and so on, up to a maximum of 500 points per green atom. If you were to collect a yellow atom, however, the bonus multiplier would reset and the atom would again be worth 100 points. For reference, the color of the score at the bottom of the screen is the color of the last atom that you collected.

There are two "enemies" - a spinning vortex and a cloud of particles. Both will destroy your atom upon contact. You start out with only ONE life, but can gain new lives quickly.

The higher your score, the more blue obstacles will appear in the reactor.

This game started out as an experiment to see how many objects I could get moving on the screen at once with the standard kernel. I have some gameplay ideas that I'd like to implement, like sound (which is usually the last thing I do), narrowing of the tunnel at higher levels, differently colored walls/obstacles that destroy the player rather than just bouncing him/her around, enemies that move vertically as well as horizontally, larger enemies, etc.

Feel free to give it a try and let me know if you have any comments or suggestions. Thanks!!

AtomicDisco3.bin

I'm sure you won't freak out about this comment. The green things bother my eyes. The blue one that the player controls doesn't, probably because it's darker.

Hi RT, thanks for the feedback. I'll keep that in mind - I am planning to change the colors at some point.

When I look at the player colors in Stella on a monitor, I can see a clear difference between the yellow atoms and the green atoms. But when I turn on the TV Effects in Stella, the yellow and green atoms are hard to tell apart. I'm guessing that it would look like that on real hardware and on a CRT television too. So I'll probably keep the blue color and change the yellows and greens to something darker and easier to tell apart.