IGNORED

Joinin' the gang...

Voch

After lurking for what seems like forever in the 5200 forums I've finally scored a free Atari 5200 system from a coworker. It's a 4-port beauty with TONS of games (Miner 2049er, Pitfall II, many Atari titles, the original controllers, at least one Wico stick). I'll have specific brags and probably more questions after I leave work today (six more hours...tick tick tick...).

I forgot to hunt through the box to see if the proprietary switch box is included (I may be screwed on that). I'm kinda disappointed that it's not a 2-port for longevity reasons (thinking about that switch box is starting to bug me) but them's the breaks (it was free after all).

:)

Voch

I wouldn't be too worried about the switchbox. I found a four port 5200 with its switch box years ago at a crummy flea market and both are still working just fine. I have no problems owning a four port instead of a two port.

I've noticed 4Jay's has been selling power adaptors and switch boxes on eBay recently. If you need one or both, you could try looking for an auction, or go directly to their online store. I got my Wico controller from them.

Cool. I thought the 4-port switchboxes were a commodity or something. I think I have one in this huge box somewhere...I'll check it soon (it's in my car and I'm at my computer at work right now...)

My other problem is finding room for the console on my barrister bookshelves (next to the Inty and the 2600). It's nifty and I want to show it off as well as have it handy for playing. :)

Voch

Cool.  I thought the 4-port switchboxes were a commodity or something.  I think I have one in this huge box somewhere...I'll check it soon (it's in my car and I'm at my computer at work right now...)

My other problem is finding room for the console on my barrister bookshelves (next to the Inty and the 2600). It's nifty and I want to show it off as well as have it handy for playing.  :)

Voch

Yeah, the switchboxes go up on ebay all the time. I shelled out about $20 for one.

Good luck finding room! I think it's the only console bigger than an Xbox...

Finally made an inventory of the haul. I've scrubbed and all the games (they were pretty dirty) and it's ready to play when I get the TV box (just got one off of eBay).

Console:

Atari 5200 4-port

Controllers:

4 Atari 5200 controllers (two in great shape, one missing stick top, one badly damaged stick), one Atari 2600 Wico controller (not the 5200 one I had hoped)

Atari 5200 Games (manuals for almost all, but no overlays...I'll make some):

Astro Chase, Berzerk, Countermeasure, Defender, Dig Dug, Football, Joust, Mario Bros, Miner 2049er, Missile Command, Moon Patrol, Mountain King, Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man, Pengo, Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, Pole Position, Qix, RealSports Baseball, RealSports Tennis, Robotron: 2084, Soccer, Super Cobra, Space Dungeon, Star Raiders, Vanguard, Centipede (manual only), Q*Bert (manual only), River Raid (manual only)

Thanks for listening to me over this.

Voch

Looks like you have a nice starter set of 5200 games. Now if you could get your hands on a trakball, you'll be all set. If you can't get the joysticks to work, drop Mr. Retrogamer a line. He does a good job repairing 5200 joysticks.

Welcome to the addiction Muahahahahahaaaaa! :D

Now if you could get your hands on a trakball, you'll be all set.

I saw one at a flea market I frequent a month or so ago (passed on it...I was on an Atari 2600 game hunt) and am hoping it's still there. If not, I'll blow the money and get one from one of the online order places.

Voch

Voch - would you want to sell or trade any of the stuff?

Nope. Sorry. I have a few items for trade listed on my page (nothing to uncommon, though). I still don't know if the system or any of the games even work yet. :)

voch

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to follow up on my own thread, but I finally got a power supply AND a TV adapter for the 4-port Atari 5200 and everything works great. :)

I *love* Missile Command with these controllers and Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man are not too difficult to control. The fire buttons are a pain (I really have to mash 'em down) and either need a little cleaning or some tinfoil.

The only problem is that I wired the paddle controller I made backwards (Pole Position was a little frustrating :) ). I'll fix it this weekend...

Voch

And you'll be getting Centipede from me soon!

:D

Can't wait to play that one with an analog stick, too...

(Your 7800 goodies are boxed up and goin' out tomorrow morning...)

Voch

Invest in a trakball controller for use with this game. You definitely won't regret it.

Great start, once you get it up and running you will be hooked. I've only been collecting 5200 for about 6 months and I now own 52 titles :D

One good thing about the 4-port is you will be able to play Mountain King and Pitfall! without a problem. I have a 2-port and a 4-port but no working switch for my 4 so those two games are off limits right now.

Oh, and if you don't want that Miner 2049er..

I think I'm keeping it despite that I've always sucked at all the versions of that game (I had it for my C64 years ago). :D

Hmmm...trackball...hmmmm...

Voch

Update: after scrubbing the controllers with erasers and such (the fire buttons work very well now) I finally figured out why pretty much only the "8" key (used to select Practice mode in Missile Command) on both of my 5200 controllers' keypads work. Pin #8 is missing in Port 1 of my 4-port system and two others (Pins 6 and 7) were shoved in. :(

Looks like I get to perform some surgery this weekend. I really wanna play Star Raiders. At least I've finally got the hang of Vanguard and Miner 2049'er (and don't need the keypad for those). :)

Voch

You'll need the keypad when you get to the later stages in Miner 2049er to go up and down the elevators.

Oh...THAT'S what those numbered thingies were (and why I couldn't clear the level in time). :)

I have a friend who's good at soldering/desoldering. We may take a look replacing the port this weekend...

Voch

I have a friend who's good at soldering/desoldering.  We may take a look replacing the port this weekend...

Voch

If I may quote myself :), my friend successfully replaced the port #1 pin #8 for me and all is well (except that some of the pins have to be pulled out with pliers once in a while). RealSports Baseball here I come!

Voch

Archived