IGNORED

New old Lynx owner :)

stylee

Hi all,

Just thought I would pop in and say a brief hello as I am new to the forum.

I owned a Lynx 1 back in 1990 and decided to get myself one again. To be fair I got it at a bargain price and it is in very good working order however I am going to overhaul it with a cap replacement kit and hopefully will upgrade the screen as I see many of you have done using McWills kit :)

Will let you know how I get on, also looking at doing some case restoration as there are a few parts on the back that are looking a little tired. Has anyone done anything like this yet and if so how would they recommend going about this?

Looking forward to reading more,

All the best

Stylee

• Like 1

The original Lynx or the smaller Lynx 2? The original one did have issue with body paint, they wear out and can look ugly. Lynx 2 didn't use any paint and generally don't need paint job unless you want something beside black.

For painting, get sandpaper and strip the Lynx down to just the shells. Sand the outside parts to remove some of the old paint, then using finer paper to smooth out rough spots. Run it through dishwasher to clean them thoroughly. Then paint em. I'd suggest light grey or white primer if you're going to do light colored paint.

The original Lynx or the smaller Lynx 2? The original one did have issue with body paint, they wear out and can look ugly. Lynx 2 didn't use any paint and generally don't need paint job unless you want something beside black.

For painting, get sandpaper and strip the Lynx down to just the shells. Sand the outside parts to remove some of the old paint, then using finer paper to smooth out rough spots. Run it through dishwasher to clean them thoroughly. Then paint em. I'd suggest light grey or white primer if you're going to do light colored paint.

thanks Stargunner,

I got the original Lynx which has a light spot of paint fade, will try to restore this one to its original state with the addition of a mcwills screen mod for my collection.

I am looking at buying a fixer upper too and doing something a little different after refurbing it, maybe with hydro graphics on the outter shell in matt black or carbon fiber. only toying with the idea though at the moment.

thanks for the tip will let you know how it goes :)

Ok Stylee, I just looked. Customs Duty is no charge if under £135, but you pay VAT on anything over £15. Maybe I was lucky twice, although I was stung on tax once shipping something over from the states.

Sorry for the bad advice

I think in the UK it's the above... if they check your item. I used to get stuff from the states a lot, and only had to pay anything on about 15% of the things I received.

Now I live in Spain, it's more like 90% of things. They are ruthless/thorough here. :(

Cheers True :)

As luck would have it I picked up a fixer upper yesterday for £15 delivered, the unit cosmetically is almost perfect. Its a DOA unit but from what the guy has been telling me it looks like a MOSFET problem, as soon as it lands I am going to test it. I thought at that price though it was worth having for spare parts and a potential case transplant :)

If it works once the MOS has been replaced I will probably put that in my collection and sell my other unit as a friend wants one :)