IGNORED

Music in applesoft basic

classicgamer_27330

http://eightbitsoundandfury.ld8.org/programming.html

I've found on youtube somebody has got the us national anthem as a program pretty neat

wish I was that talented

Thank You for the Link to this Web Site... There is some good information there....

I have played an instrument for many years... But you don't need to have Musical Talent to Find a Song and Transcribe it for a Music Program for the Computer...

MarkO

But you don't need to have Musical Talent to Find a Song and Transcribe it for a Music Program for the Computer...

That's pretty much where i was going except that i disassembled the machine code on that page, wrote my own music sequencer around it and made a start on importing a tune. The only problem i've had is being limited to three octaves, my first choice of one channel piece needed four just for the bit i wanted to transcribe!

• Like 1

That's pretty much where i was going except that i disassembled the machine code on that page, wrote my own music sequencer around it and made a start on importing a tune. The only problem i've had is being limited to three octaves, my first choice of one channel piece needed four just for the bit i wanted to transcribe!

I believe that 3 Octaves is the Limit..

You might be able to learn something from Paul Lutus' Electronic Duet Code..

MarkO

More about how multiple clicks can appear like a tone, and why we read $C030 to get there:

http://lateblt.tripod.com/appl2snd.htm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this routine do the same thing, but slightly less spaghetti and five bytes shorter? (Note: I didn't rewrite it in order to optimize, but to understand the routine)

0302 LDY $0301
0305 LDA $C030
0308 LDX $0300
030B DEX
030C BNE $030B
030E DEY
030F BNE $0305
0311 RTS

Or as a BASIC program:

10 DATA 172,1,3,173,48,192,174,0,3,202,208,253,136,208,244,96

20 FOR I=770 TO 785:READ V:POKE I,V:NEXT

I don't know if the frequencies change the slightest, but when testing in an online Apple ][ emulator the function appears to be intact.

Edit: Nope, my version causes higher frequencies and shorter notes, apparently due to the missing dummy loop that delays the original program. It probably means if the dummy loop can be extended, we can achieve greater range of frequencies on behalf of pitch resolution, and that durations need to be shortened.

Edited by carlsson

After a lot of trial and error, I found adding NOP's probably is the best. Note that the routine still communicates by 768 and 769, I just moved it in memory so I could compare the sound of the two routines. Since this routine is position independent, it can be loaded to 770 as well.

0320 LDA $C030
0323 LDX $0300
0326 DEX
0327 BEQ $0320
0329 NOP
032A NOP
032B DEY
032C BNE $0326
032E DEC $0301
0331 BNE $0326
0333 RTS

10 DATA 173,48,192,174,0,3,202,240,247,234,234,136,208,248,206,1,3,208,243,96

20 FOR I=800 TO 819:READ V:POKE I,V:NEXT

To make lighter and faster sounds:

10 DATA 173,48,192,174,0,3,202,240,247,234,136,208,249,206,1,3,208,244,96

20 FOR I=800 TO 818:READ V:POKE I,V:NEXT

To make darker and slower sounds:
10 DATA 173,48,192,174,0,3,202,240,247,234,234,234,136,208,247,206,1,3,208,242,96

20 FOR I=800 TO 820:READ V:POKE I,V:NEXT

To paraphrase Donkey Kong: How Low Can You Get? You could get very bassy notes if you add more NOP's, and then extend the range by quite a lot on behalf of the pitch resolution.

Edited by carlsson

The problem i have is that i've no ear for music; i can sort of tell if a note is off but not necessarily in which direction or by how much, so there's no chance of me doing much more than writing a driver around an already established tone generator!

What i'll probably do is improve the driver i wrote a bit before shoving a picture and perhaps a text line on screen and releasing the lot including source...

Edit: carlsson, i'm going to use your generator rather than the original if that's okay? (With a credit of course.)

Edited by TMR

Sure. Perhaps you can bug fix it too, I believe the loop gets stuck for certain high frequencies... :-D

Actually, I don't think lowering the base frequency increases the number of notes you can hit, but you could set up two similar routines in memory and alternate between them in order to extend the range. Too bad the generated frequency seems to differ by an unknown amount depending on how much you slow it down, so you might need two frequency tables.

i've just released a little demo that plays a one channel tune (the "idle" music from Microprose Soccer on the C64 by Martin Galway), displays a picture converted with my own tool which is still in beta and has a line of cycling text at the top of the screen which is for greetings and so forth. It looks like this...

septic-a2.png

...and can be downloaded from the Cosine website. It really isn't anything special, but does strap a sequencer onto Carlsson's upgrade of the tone generator which started this thread and the source can be downloaded from the Github repository if anyone wants to prod around.

Edited by TMR
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i've just released a little demo that plays a one channel tune (the "idle" music from Microprose Soccer on the C64 by Martin Galway), displays a picture converted with my own tool which is still in beta and has a line of cycling text at the top of the screen which is for greetings and so forth. It looks like this...

septic-a2.png

...and can be downloaded from the Cosine website. It really isn't anything special, but does strap a sequencer onto Carlsson's upgrade of the tone generator which started this thread and the source can be downloaded from the Github repository if anyone wants to prod around.

That's pretty cool!