IGNORED

Return 5 vs. Clone

vw57drvr

We will not sell the Retron 5 at our store, we tried selling 5 and all 5 got returned. We have had nothing but problems with this system, and add to that the crazy firmware update procedure and the terrible playing with filters for every game for 10 minutes to get a game to look similar bit not the same as an original. Ugh. The controller was made for people with lego or robot hands and felt super boxy. I think however the nails in the coffin for me were the games that work prefectly everyone every time in a real system or even clone only worked like 50% on the retron 5. The other was the copying of the game to ram every time you play a game and the game saves to the ram to be copied back to the cart later. We found it to be too complicated for the average family, but would be a good fit for someone who tinkers and has lots of time and patience when they want to play a game.

I realize there are people who love the system and I am glad they had good experiences but for us it has been a sub standard experience.

Of course these are just my opinions and I share them respectfully.

I agree the system update process is rather clumsy. Basically you put an SD card in the system, request an update file, pull the SD card out, go to the Website and upload the update request file, then they give you the latest update, which you put back on the SD card. Once you put the SD card back in the RetroN and power it up, it automatically detects the file and asks if you want to update. It's the same process for other patches, like the quick boot patch.

While that process could be better, it does work, and I would assume that most of the people bothering to buy a RetroN would have some level of sophistication, since it's a pretty hardcore thing to want to play old American and Japanese game cartridges.

Like I said, the controller did take me some getting used to, but it's actually pretty high quality. It's micro-switch based and quite responsive. I think my initial overreaction to it was a learning curve. Now I really have no issue with using it as my primary controller. I really don't bother hooking the originals up anymore because of the whole convenience thing (and I'm spoiled by wireless controllers). In fact, this morning, I had some good sessions with Sqoon (Famicom, even the light worked on the cartridge) and Popeye (NES). I did try the NES version of Arkanoid with it as well, which, while it worked just fine, didn't work with the official spinner. With that said, the precision of the d-pad (it's remiscent of the one found on the Neo Geo Pocket), was actually pretty good considering I don't like playing those games with anything but a spinner (not even a mouse).

As for the visuals, I just don't understand that. It has a fantastic picture. I just have everything set to original aspect ratio and no filtering other than adding in scanlines. It looks amazing on my Plasma across all systems.

Interestingly, when I went to do the update today, there was a minor reference on the Website to a 2.0 version of the hardware, so it looks like they may be doing a hardware refresh. I'll be curious what form that takes.

I'd say avoid those clones at all costs and get a real NES.. they go for about $30-40 for the console, which is way cheaper than any clone. You'd be way better off with the real deal.

I agree, with the caveat that you'll have to know to put some TLC into it. Boiling the pins is a must, and outright replacing them isn't out of the question, plus disabling the 10NES chip, possibly adding a bypass.

It's the best answer, but also the most labor-intensive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree 100% that the original NES is superior. However, as I have stated, space is the issue. Not the console. I own the consoles already. I have been doing some research and apparently there is a better choice than the Retron5. As someone stated above, the Super Retro Trio appears to be a superior machine when it comes to compatibility and reliability. It doesn't upscale, but I don't care about that. I think I will give it a try.

I think you'll be happy with the SRT. The Retron 5 would be a decent system if it didn't have so much lag. For most of the systems it supports, you can minimize lag by using wired controllers, but unfortunately the SNES side is completely ruined with noticeable lag whether or not you use a wired controller.

• Like 1

I think you'll be happy with the SRT. The Retron 5 would be a decent system if it didn't have so much lag. For most of the systems it supports, you can minimize lag by using wired controllers, but unfortunately the SNES side is completely ruined with noticeable lag whether or not you use a wired controller.

I still have yet to experience this lag you reference.

• 3 weeks later...