IGNORED

OT: FREE Voice Chat Software?

Omega-TI

I don't normally play around with this sort of thing, but it occurs to me that while beta testing something, or for walking someone through something, a voice chat option would sure be nice to use in addition to Atari Age. Since it's not something we would all use on a regular basis, I'm wondering if there are any free or public license versions available for the PC.

If we all had the same utility, we could 'hop on chat' once in a while we are cruising A.A. Just an idea....

P.S. I'm not talking about some mega-commercial software like Skype.

Many free options to go with for this.

I am surprised we do not have Facebook meetings on the TI groups here or other sites.

https://www.facebook.com/help/439078162792430/

We could actually set up a 24 hour day LINK that you could jump into.

Odd that you do not see this everywhere with today's tech, and even more odd that TEXTING is more popular.

It is like everyone wants to go back 40 years in computer tech.

I want to rant about texting, and how it just works, but mostly texting just works, and that is why people rely on it. Everything else has proven to have presence issues.

But that is off topic a bit. It is just that voice chat, video chat, apps all fall back on having IM chat capability.

It seems like Google Hangouts is what Omega is looking for. All the necessary features are free. Skype is free to use for all of these purposes as well. Including group sessions now too.

Those are both excellent programs that both support things like screen sharing as well. ( it's video quality screen sharing, so not usually pixel perfect unless your bandwidth is high )

• Like 1

It is like everyone wants to go back 40 years in computer tech.

Like some people who use our computers?

But in all seriousness, older technology tends to be very resilient. To your example, in most networks text messaging is part of the client-tower communication protocol, so it is something that should always work even when calls or data cannot. Resilient, easy to use, and does not require anything special.

I'd like to try Hangouts but Google user interfaces are easily the worst in the world. I have a Google+ app on my phone and it's an utter mystery, hence I don't use it. Skype works, despite continuous tweaks and pointless changes for no reason by Microsoft!

I'd like to try Hangouts but Google user interfaces are easily the worst in the world. I have a Google+ app on my phone and it's an utter mystery, hence I don't use it. Skype works, despite continuous tweaks and pointless changes for no reason by Microsoft!

My wife's phone updated and the shape buttons are just a source of confusion for me. Google can't seem to nail down immediately useable.