IGNORED

Abandonware and open system?

Atlantis

"For the record" is quite a common expression used outside the judicial system as well thank you very much :P . Personally, I couldn't give a shit what they call it I was merely clarifying something many seem to have the wrong impression about. I encountered the "abandonware" term many times over the years on sites distributing software, games etc, most always have this description or bogus definition etc that all pretty much add up to the same excuse to download and freely use the hosted software(s) but the fact of the matter is none of it adheres to any real laws or regulations, thought some people might like to know instead of kidding themselves. Ignorance is bliss though I guess :lolblue:

Yes, I thought older games in general was abandonware, like copyright on old books or something expiring after an amount of years, but was uncertain and wanted to discuss it loosely. I regret this topic and it has caused a lot of trouble to me, and my very much honored name ;)

No I know better.

Like pictures of Yoda tho, so something good in all bad...

For works created after 1978, which would include most games it is 70 years after the authors death. That of course does not matter for corporate products afaik, games were barely self-published by a single author retaining the rights.

Products from before that even have 95 years.

The term abandonware is of course bs like people pointed out here. It is also not so much about people trying to act morally superior, but it has to be clarified. As Atlantis said, he believed abandonware was actually a thing, so people are mislead by websites offering abandonware to believe the software is allowed to be distributed freely on some legal grounds. That is a big no-no, leading people to believe to download that stuff is totally okay. I am all for preserving old software, but just don't pretend you have the right to offer it for download if you don't. Then everyone can make up their own mind if they still want to download, and nobody is surprised later on.

• Like 1

well the initial post touches on two substantially different things imo. The whole abandonware for archival and preservation thing seems to be more tolerated by larger companies and does exactly that. There are organizations like web.archive.org that collect millions of dollars to continue such efforts despite some obvious ethical issues (like mapping out the file trees of website, archiving sites with disclaimers that specifically advise against it, and exposing hidden content for sites that don't specifically protect themselves against it).

Then there is the second step of actually taking someone else game and modifying it and reselling it as your own creation thus claiming a degree of ownership and credit for someone elses work. I think that is generally much less tolerated by companies, especially on platforms with large consumer bases, because it can cause substantial revenue loss and confusion about who owns the IP / brand association issues.

But in the end much of it is technically illegal, the activities just infringe upon the original IP owners to different degrees.

Edited by Willard
  • Like 1

I would think that if that original IP is sufficiently obscure that no copyright holder cares enough to enforce his/her/its rights, nobody would want to use it as the basis of a remake/new game, either; it would have no nostalgia value or other popular interest. At that point, the developer might as well just start from scratch, and thus avoid any potential legal entanglements.

For works created after 1978, which would include most games it is 70 years after the authors death. That of course does not matter for corporate products afaik, games were barely self-published by a single author retaining the rights.

Products from before that even have 95 years.

The term abandonware is of course bs like people pointed out here. It is also not so much about people trying to act morally superior, but it has to be clarified. As Atlantis said, he believed abandonware was actually a thing, so people are mislead by websites offering abandonware to believe the software is allowed to be distributed freely on some legal grounds. That is a big no-no, leading people to believe to download that stuff is totally okay. I am all for preserving old software, but just don't pretend you have the right to offer it for download if you don't. Then everyone can make up their own mind if they still want to download, and nobody is surprised later on.

Thank you! Yes it is easy for people to attack simply when they do not want to hear something. The point WAS clarifying and deterring misinformation. Morally superiority lol OH YEAH I'm a friggin saint...........never said I support it or even follow those guidelines, but you hit it right on the head. Glad to see somebody got my point.

• Like 1

Skip the "abandon" word and add freeware instead.

Any game that has been released as freeware could work to port to (the open system) Jaguar??

As with this game Lure of the Temptress for instance, according to the wiki it was set free (-ware) in 2003. From wiki:

"It was received favourably by critics, a commercial success and re-released as freeware on April 1, 2003."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lure_of_the_Temptress

It's still my original question, a bit changed based on answers here.

Since, Hasbro was it?, sett Jaguar free from the need for licencing games on it - it would be possible?

Edited by Atlantis

Released as free and open source software would be better since freeware can still have restrictions.

Don't forget the masses of people clambering over each other to work on these games just for you ...

Isn't there a thread for idea peddlers here somewhere? (That everyone else can ignore, lol)

Unless I'm misunderstanding your topic...Abandonware is not freeware, it's Nobody-caresware. Unless somebody starts making money off of it. Then it turns into Sue-your-pants-off-if-we-start-to-careware. The latter is mandatory where active trademarks are concerned (which must be protected or they would be lost).

Exactly. And if no one cares about the game, why would you want to port it to anything? Who is going to play it? It is most likely 'abandoned' for a reason ;)

• Like 1

Released as free and open source software would be better since freeware can still have restrictions.

Yes, haven't been an active amigatarian for years but dropped by to see whats cooking (which was a lot of stuff) pressed some iso files, and found Jim Power on Mutant planet ported, here:

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/09/jim-power-kick-ass-platformer-now.html

wow! no!... download doesn't work... (press, press, press)... and in the commentary field, at bottom of them page linked above, someone said:

"The game is now licensed and owned by https://www.pikointeractive.co....Jim Powers will be released on the Sega Genesis, PC and other consoles soon."

Shoot, 4 month too late, at when an unofficial freeware became careware for Megadrive instead. In a way too bad for amigans, should be played original on Amiga (or ST) they might think. But love carts so, not too bad anyway. Have both systems, might pick it up.

Yes, the picture is more clearer to me now. And as said, if this thread is moronic just ignore it. Think I'm pretty much done here, so ignore it anyway.

Edited by Atlantis