IGNORED

Idea for a homebrew...

ApolloBoy

I just came up with an idea for a great homebrew! I call it Bomb Blast. In the game, you play as a robot who is trying to eradicate evil robots from the human colonies on Mars. It'll be Bomberman-like, but you'll also have an upgradeable laser gun to destroy enemies, different bombs, and huge worlds to explore. I also want it to have an APU chip (the NES sound chip). What do you think? Can it be done? 8)

Sorry for not responding earlier. I think it sounds great, but I tend not to get hyped up about 7800 homebrewing because there's always lots of talk yet nothing ever seems to happen; which IMHO is really a shame (I even posted a thread earlier this year or late last asking why).

I wish there was a graphics hacking util for the 7800.  I have a few ideas I'd like to implement.

I'm not sure this will ever happen. The way the 7800 works means each line of a sprite is on a separate page. I guess this could be handled by a sprite editor, but it is more difficult than a typical 2600 sprite, where all of the bytes are in sequence.

Sprites are also variable width (1-32 bytes), and there are several different graphics modes with some really strange bit to color mapping.

I wish there was a graphics hacking util for the 7800.  I have a few ideas I'd like to implement.

I'm not sure this will ever happen. The way the 7800 works means each line of a sprite is on a separate page. I guess this could be handled by a sprite editor, but it is more difficult than a typical 2600 sprite, where all of the bytes are in sequence.

Sprites are also variable width (1-32 bytes), and there are several different graphics modes with some really strange bit to color mapping.

Sniff.. All I want to do is hack Desert Falcon to look like Zaxxon. :(

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Well what if someone gives you your answer? Are you going to harass and beg that person to program your game for you?

Usually, most things are possible with 1's and 0's. The real question is how good the graphics and sound are for your "game". I mean really, how is anyone supposed to judge that question? Of course things like that could be done, but don't you think that the guys who know how to program would have done it already if they had the time and energy to put into it?

Do you honestly think that you are the first person to go... "hmmm... wouldn't it be great if there was a game that did such and such." I mean really, I'm sure there's 100's of game programmers on Atari Age who have any programming experience saying to themselves...

"Wow I have all this programming skill, but no creativity to think of my own projects. I hope somebody who dooesn't know any of the capabilities of the 7800 comes along with an idea so I can make a really 'fun' game. I hope that person doesn't know any programming either so I have to do all the work. God knows I have way too much time in my day. That way he can badger me night and day, on the weekends, and holidays about whether I have his game done yet. After all I'm sure he has tons of money with which to hire me to make his game. Cause I know he wouldn't want me to do it for free."

What good does it do to answer your question? It would be different if answering your question would mean that you would be inspired to learn how to program for the 7800... but that's obviously not the case.

Hey, does anyone here know if it is possible to design a 3D game engine for the 7800, because I think it would really be cool if there was one... Oh, I don't want to program it or help... I'm an idea man... a lover not a fighter... sarcasm, aint it great.

Archived