IGNORED

Devils Third rare

cimerians

I think it's just speculators and possibly a few Wii-U collectors. This is one game that literally no one cares about, but it's

A. An 'adult' game for the Wii-U

B. A third party Wii-U exclusive which is an extinct species at this point.

C. A very limited production run

So that's probably adding to the desire a bit.

I know I may regret it but I drove out and snagged a copy. I haven't opened it yet to try it since it was late. I will open it and play it though, I'm not one of those types who buys stuff and keeps them shrinkwrapped cause I rarely sell anything.

That's why I don't think I'll get a copy. I've never bought a game as an investment before and I don't think I'll start now. I'll probably regret this though when a sealed copy of Devil's Third is going for $200 on ebay. :)

• Like 1

Sure sounds like a future collector's item.

Still seems incredulous that this got a retail release and Fatal Frame didn't. :(

Not to turn this into a Fatal Frame thread, but even the reviews weren't too discouraging despite what the ~70% average might suggest. Most of the negatives were complaints from people that amounted to docking Fatal Frame 5 because it was too much like a Fatal Frame game, since the elements that were common complaints in mainstream reviews were always present in the past for this franchise (And the sole complaint of note that was new involved using the gamepad's motion controls, which was completely optional with conventional dual analog control available).

The average on Metacritic isn't half bad in its own right. It had upwards of 10 failing grades and only one high mark when I browsed through it a few weeks ago, yet the game saw so many decent to good reviews around 80% that it still earned an average mark despite those outliers that were heavily weighted towards the bottom end.

Fatal Frame never was a great performer with mainstream reviewers anyways. Despite many believing that this game isn't very good, it was only around 5 percentage points lower than the original and the series usually averaged a respectable but not impressive 80%.

Edited by Atariboy

Honestly, Devil's Third doesn't look anywhere bad enough to justify its review scores. Gameplay looks solid, even if a bit early last gen-ish (which makes sense, since it started development then). I'll probably track down a copy to try.

Also, I have a hard time believing only "400-ish copies were manufactured", according to some news outlets.

• Like 1

Tried it, it's not even in the ballpark of "horrible". Its basically a low budget shooter. (with some 1980's cheese)

Its definitely not worth 50-60 bucks, its not good but it sure as heck isn't "the worst game ever made".

When reviewers start handing out 2s and 3s for review scores, I think "Checkered Flag" or "Supercross 3D" bad on the Jaguar. This one definitely looks nowhere near that level--some of the sword combat looks to have a very Ninja Gaiden-esque vibe to it. Since you've played it, can you say if that's about right or not?

I'm really interested in it now because Splatterhouse was reviewed nearly as poorly in some cases, and I ended up thoroughly enjoying it.

I found a copy and ordered it, I'm gonna see what happens for a while. I really hope I didn't spend that for nothing when I could have got something like Splatoon. I've never bought a game based on rarity before, but I also know Wii U games are impossible to get deals on, so what are the odds I'd ever get it again if not at the regular retail? It actually looks like a third person shooter/hack n'slash/beat 'em up so that's totally up my alley as those are my favorite genres along with platformers and I love 80s action vibes. Review scores may have been low, but I do not pay attention to review scores because it's not like they really rate the action/arcade games I like highly 9 times out of 10. I don't necessarily wanna learn how to use 30 different moves, so "boring gameplay" isn't necessarily a drawback to a guy like me.

But I'm also a cheapskate and want to pay like $30 for games like this I'm unsure of. Oh well.

Mine did ship, I got it from Amazon.ca last night at retail price. It was the only site I could find that had it in stock and I made a hair trigger decision.

Funny thing is I read a couple reviews, or started to, last night and one reviewer's opening paragraph really resonated in me. He gives a general outline of the badassery that happens in the game and mentioned how it feels like it came out 10 years ago. I stopped and scratched my head for a second and quickly realized this is exactly why I was so into games 5-10 years ago, games were still actually games, and they were getting to be ultra violent/stylized and badass. This seems to have all but ended these days and I realized this is exactly why I can't find anything to play on my PS4 or Xbox One. Every big game now has to be a 500 hour experience and they don't really seem to have the balls those games did. In that era, I remember getting Resident Evil 5, No More Heroes 1-2, Mad World, Bulletstorm, Gears of War 1-4, Red Dead Redemption, etc. Where have games with a set of nuts and that are actually fun to play gone?

When reviewers start handing out 2s and 3s for review scores, I think "Checkered Flag" or "Supercross 3D" bad on the Jaguar. This one definitely looks nowhere near that level--some of the sword combat looks to have a very Ninja Gaiden-esque vibe to it. Since you've played it, can you say if that's about right or not?

I'm really interested in it now because Splatterhouse was reviewed nearly as poorly in some cases, and I ended up thoroughly enjoying it.

Its pretty bad compared to Ninja Gaiden. It's like they are trying to, but fail because it feels so low budget. No, its more like Final Fight. A beat em' up.

Thoughts on single player campaign:

- Just about everything is not up to modern game standards. If your cool with Xbox\PS2 gameplay and graphics then it wont be too awful.

- The camera is very bad at first. Resetting your view in front of you means you have to stop hit R1 and then move. Aiming is brutal when shooting. It auto targets but most of the time it moves like a low budget shooter. After a while you get used to it.

- Melee combat isn't too bad its just a beat em' like Final Fight, you dodge once in a while and switch between melee and FPS on the fly by clicking a button. I kind of like the melee combat but its nowhere near Ninja Gaiden. (Just a button masher)

- There doesn't seem to be "health" in the game. You just keep going until the screen turns redish and then hide and your back to normal. Its hard to figure out if your hurt or not.

- The acting is cheesy like Resident Evil lol

- Completely not worth the money. This should cost around 10-20 bucks. Although people say some good things about multiplayer but I'm not interested in that.

It's easy to give this game a 0,1,2 stars, I'd probably give it a 4 (maybe a 5 as I'm still playing it) cause I just don't think its complete trash but its definitely not good.

There's a game in here that harkens back to the Xbox\PS2 era and I've certainly played a lot worse games. The problem is that its come out at $60 and his previous games were extremely awesome. Ninja Gaiden Black is one of my all time favorite games. So this effort comes across as shocking, but getting over the initial shock its not complete trash.

I can only recommend this if its cheap and you have nothing else to play :P

Its obviously pretty rare though so I'm partially regretting it.