IGNORED

RAPIDUS ACCELERATOR

lotharek

While we're on the subject of BIOS CPU frequency display, My NTSC 800 shows 1.77 in the BIOS setup screen. Shouldn't NTSC be 1.79? Has anyone else noticed this?

I get 1.78MHz (in Altirra, emulating an NTSC Atari, since I currently have no NTSC machine with U1MB), which makes sense given there are two decimal places and the result is not rounded up from 1.789MHz or whatever it is (which it probably should be). Kind of surprised by 1.77MHz, though.

The method used is identical to that in Drac030's SI2.EXE, although the result shown there has three decimal places. Any inaccuracies in the speed measurement become significantly amplified the higher the frequency gets (Rapidus shows over 21MHz).

• Like 1

Can anyone boot into SDX using the Rapidus and an U1MB when the Rapidus is using the 65C816 CPU?

Yes, I can. Can you not?

EDIT: But not from cold with SIDE2 connected and the U1MB PBI BIOS enabled, unless using a stock Atari OS (DracOS+PBI BIOS causes a hang on cold start, recoverable with reset. No-one has any idea why).

Edited by flashjazzcat

Yes, I can. Can you not?

EDIT: But not from cold with SIDE2 connected and the U1MB PBI BIOS enabled, unless using a stock Atari OS (DracOS+PBI BIOS causes a hang on cold start, recoverable with reset. No-one has any idea why).

Yeah, I can't boot to SDX using the 65C816 CPU, but I didn't try turning off the PBI BIOS, which might help since that's where it seems to get stuck.

How is "stock AtariOS" defined? I usually use the XL/XE rev. 2 from http://atari.vjetnam.cz/index.php?frame=roms.

How is "stock AtariOS" defined? I usually use the XL/XE rev. 2 from http://atari.vjetnam.cz/index.php?frame=roms.

I define stock as anything which isn't the 65C816 OS. It's the only one which manifests the issue.

Actually the PBI issue should be noticeable even with SDX disabled, since the hang inexplicably occurs during PBI BIOS init.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Some more interesting findings, observed while I was modifying UFlash this evening to work in 65C816 mode (which it now does, by virtue of changing the flash algorithm from bit toggle to data poll). Flashing U1MB ROM slots is agreeably fast at 20MHz, even when using a flash ROM with 64KB sectors (as on this machine).

While UFlash now works well in 65C816 mode, PBI BIOS issues are apparently not confined to DracOS. Running at 20MHz and using the stock OS, UFlash crashes spectacularly as soon as the file selector (which obviously calls the CIO which in turn calls the SIO which in turn calls the PBI BIOS) is opened. With the PBI BIOS disabled, everything works.

Speculation that some MMU or other hardware conflict is at work here seems to be borne out by these findings, since I can run the exact same combo in Altirra using an emulated 21MHz 65C816 and experience no crashes at all. While emulation might tend to flatter to deceive (after all, UFlash always worked with the emulated 65C816 but not on real hardware), the latest crash does not depend on such timing-sensitive operations as flash ROM programming - merely involving the PBI BIOS in some basic filing operations which have worked for years on end.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Hi FLC!

I can say this about Lotharek everything I have ever purchased from him he has backed up 100%. I had a Side 2 Cart I purchased from him and all the documentation he has provided with it he warns about slamming a Compact Flash chip into the socket. Well I did just that! I pushed one of the pins in the socket out of the socket. This was 100% my FAULT and not a design flaw. I sent him an e-mail and a picture of the pin I had pushed out of the socket and he verified that it was a pin not used by the Side 2 or the Compact Flash Chip. Well the Side 2 Was working and was also working with the Ultimate 1 Meg as well. Two weeks later Lotharek SENT ME TWO REPLACEMENT Side 2 Cart and I also got an e-mail from him saying he was sorry that happened to his hardware. There again this was something that was 100% my F**K up not his. Over the last 2 1/2 years I have purchased over $2000.00 US Dollars worth of Upgrade hardware from him. It always comes on time 10 to 14 Days from Purchase. It always comes in a good Sturdy Box and is packed the way you want all your electronic boards to be packed. The Thing I like the most about Lotharek is he stands behind his hardware. He sent me a PC version of a SIO2SD that is real neat, and it works well on the PC. I know I am laying on thick for Lotharek but he has earned it. For the Most part Atari Users like myself are very luck in that we get really nicely designed and Built Hardware. I can not think of anyone selling something to the Atari World that it could be referred to as a junk! It is like people Like Lotharek and Many others that have set that very high Standard that all of us enjoy.

Take Care All!

Stephen J. Carden

http://www.realdos.net

My side2 just shows the yellow screen. I think customs fried it with the xrays or something... Costs way to much to ship it back.

Regarding the UFlash crash I mentioned last night: turns out that setting RAM #3 to "No speed-up" in the Rapidus menu fixes it. Unfortunately this doesn't affect the PBI hang with DracOS, but it may offer some clues. I sent the information to Pasiu and Lotharek.

EDIT: Here's a video showing updating of one of the OS slots at 20MHz (apologies for quality):

Flash ROM is now a 4KB sector chip (SST). I swapped it last night after the AMD chip on the board started exhibiting strange issues.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 3/30/2016 at 2:24 PM, flashjazzcat said:

Good news regarding 1200XLs is that no adapter appears to be required at all... unless you have a VBXE fitted, and an XE-style VBXE at that. I found that perching Rapidus on top of about four sockets allowed it to clear the rear edge of the VBXE, but by then Rapidus was touching the back of the keyboard and the whole thing was none too elegant. So I made a small adapter which simply displaces the CPU socket about 1/8" further back, allowing it to clear the VBXE connector.

post-21964-0-71366700-1459365848_thumb.jpg

post-21964-0-73404400-1459365850_thumb.jpg

post-21964-0-85188300-1459365852_thumb.jpg

The whole lot then fits quite nicely, and without the aid of stacked sockets:

post-21964-0-18360800-1459365844_thumb.jpg

post-21964-0-66129900-1459365846_thumb.jpg

post-21964-0-26151300-1459365855_thumb.jpg

Perhaps Lotharek can be persuaded to produce a small adapter like the one shown. Note u-switch crowding the board from the left, so this appears to be about as much as you can fit in a 1200XL. :)

Just got to find a 3-pin connector now for MPD, EXTSEL and GND...

I just wanted to say thank you for the pictures and info on this 1200XL install. I'm just about to order Rapidus for my 1200XL, and saw on Lotharek's site it only covers the 800XL and I needed to see what it would look like installed in the 1200XL with upgrades I already have installed (non Lotharek) and what I might have to change there and what adapters are or are not needed for my installation.:thumbsup:

From what I gather, from looking and pics, without having read all your posts carefully, is that I only need the XE version of the Rapidus, without the adapters of the XL version, and I can just make my own like you did to make room for the VBXE when I do it?

Edited by Gunstar

39 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

From what I gather, from looking and pics, without having read all your posts carefully, is that I only need the XE version of the Rapidus, without the adapters of the XL version, and I can just make my own like you did to make room for the VBXE when I do it?

Yes: I don't think Adaptus would fit in the 1200XL anyway, and it's not really necessary if you make an adapter to shove Rapidus back by 1/4" or so.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Currently the Rapidus is no longer compatible with the Ultimate 1Mb (various bugs),

certainly due to the new firmware and jed of FJC on the U1Mb, while there has not

been a single firmware update of the Rapidus since its release in 2016.

It is not also compatible with the Sofia2, it would be necessary to install a VBXE / L,

and yet it is not sure that it works according to the Lotharek store.

So I do not understand that the Lotharek store can leave for sale such dung which is practically useless if it is installed by itself in an A8.

This Rapidus is unfortunately obsolete.

Edited by ricky

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Not much love for this device, and reading the numerous posts of how it's bugged and broken certainly won't help matters..

It definitely didn't help when the first three years of bug reports were met with "sod off, it works on my machine".

• Like 2