IGNORED

Printshop Driver for Epson LQ printers

Mechanicjay

I'm on a mission. A mission to use my Panasonic 24 pin printer with Print Shop on my Atari.

This means I'm on a mission for a print driver for this. This printer is Epson LQ compatible and I found reference to a driver here:

http://www.atarimagazines.com/analog/issue78/news-6.php

Does anyone have this?

I'm happy to pay you with an Atari generated Christmas card!

• 1 month later...

Bruce from B&C finally got back to me on my inquiry on this.

Basically, yes this is the Atari Print Shop driver disk for Epson LQ 24 pin compatible printers.

He said it took him some time to find in his warehouse...also he has *ONE*.

I've ordered it. Once I get it, the first two reads of the Disk will be to make an ATR and a copy. I'll upload and share it once I do!

--Jason

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Okay here it is. Also attached are the instructions that came with it. As far as I can tell this is the only copy of this out there. And now, the only known copy is no longer only in my house! A win for preservation!

Like I said, Side B for the Print Shop Companion has a read error, like the drive can't even find anything to start reading. If someone has the tools and the know-how to try and recover Side B, I'm more than willing to ship you the disk.

--Jason

24pinPSDriver.atr

post-37242-0-94012400-1507871778_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Wow, instant service!

Downloaded - tested - works :)

Many thanks to you!

P.S. Maybe I'm able to recover the disk, but I'm from Germany and I guess you live in the US.

So if there is anybody from the US willing to care about the disk B-side, it is the better solution.

I think shipping risks are not that high than sending to overseas.

Anyway, I will care about it if nobody else shows up...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I´m also using PS from time to time. For daily work ;-) , I use a OKI 590 24pin writer on my A8, but for PS I have to reactivate my Star LC10; the OKI also stretches the printout...

My "working-setup" is an XEGS with ultimate 1MB and SIDE2 cart.

I copied PS-disk side A and B as well as the 24pin-printer-driver, posted by Jason, into an folder "print shop"on the CF-card.

• Booting the ATARI with <L>, I enter the SIDE-Loader.
  • I mount PS-disk side A as "D1:", PS-disk side B as "D2:" and driver-disk as "D3:"

I follow the scanned instructions:

• booting side 1 of the PS-disk
  • move the cursor to "setup"
  • by pressing the SIDEs push-button two times, I change from D1: to D3: (printer driver)
  • press <RETURN>
  • if PS tell me to insert side A again, I press the SIDEs push-button one time to change from D3: to D1:
  • press <RETURN>
  • A message appears that the Epson LQ-500 driver is installed.
  • As told by the screen, I press <RETURN> (PS disk side 1 should be still active since it was the last change I did)
  • The SIDEs LED flashes permanent and nothing happens...

• I press <RESET><HELP> to enter the ultimate 1MB menu
  • I change to the SIDE-loader by pressing <L>
  • Now the SIDEs LED goes out and the SIDE-loader appears
  • When I change into the print shop-folder, there are some changes:
  1. PS disk side A is mounted as "D2:"
  2. PS disk side B is mounted as "D3:"
  3. the driver-disk is mounted as "D1:"

It seems that during installing the driver the affiliation of drive numbers has been changed...

What I am doing wrong?

Can I force SIDE to keep the drive assignment?

Sleeπ

Edited by Sleepy

I think I found a solution: I have to push the SIDE-push-button one time before I press <RETURN>; this way I change from the new "D1:" (driver disk) to the new "D2:" (PS side A)...

I did a greeting-card to test it and it looks fine! :-) The only problem seems to be that, after printing is finished, I can´t return to the main menu and have to start PS again...

Tested with an OKI Microline 590 24 pin.

Many thanks for supporting the driver,

Sleeπ

Edited by Sleepy

A question to Mechanicjay and anyone else who might know.

Were these printer drivers done by Innovative Concepts, like mentioned in the link in the first post of this thread, or was it from someone else. The image of the disk label that Mechanicjay sent me was of a B&C created label so I am not sure if B&C just started making their own copies after Innovative Concepts went out of business, or if these Print Shop drivers were done by some other company other than Innovative Concepts. Can someone look at the disk with a disk editor to see if there is any mention of Innovative Concepts on the disk to verify this? I'd like to add them to Atarimania.com but want to credit them to the right publisher.

Thanks,

Allan

A question to Mechanicjay and anyone else who might know.

Were these printer drivers done by Innovative Concepts, like mentioned in the link in the first post of this thread, or was it from someone else. The image of the disk label that Mechanicjay sent me was of a B&C created label so I am not sure if B&C just started making their own copies after Innovative Concepts went out of business, or if these Print Shop drivers were done by some other company other than Innovative Concepts. Can someone look at the disk with a disk editor to see if there is any mention of Innovative Concepts on the disk to verify this? I'd like to add them to Atarimania.com but want to credit them to the right publisher.

Thanks,

Allan

I did a whole bunch of sleuthing on this a while back trying to track down a good copy of the PSC driver. The record of which I think is contained in my ##Atari freenode irc logs.

Basically, the gentleman who wrote the drivers is named Jim Steinbrecher, which I figured out from old Antic magazine (I think) and he worked for Sector One Computers -- which is the name that pops up on the screen when you load this driver.

I tracked him down and He no longer has any of the old source code or Atari equipment. I don't know how/where B&C got the driver / the rights to distribute the driver. I too found it curious that the label on the disk said B&C, but the program itself said "Sector One". As Sector One is looooooong defunct...who knows.

EDIT:

Reference in a magazine of Innovative Concepts offering new software from Jim Steinbrecher at Sector One:

http://mirror.bagelwood.com/textfiles/magazines/ZNET/0163.txt

Jim has an AA profile, I don't know if he'd be willing to chime in here and clear the muddied waters a bit...

--Jason

Edited by Mechanicjay
  • Like 1