IGNORED

Altirra 2.70 released

phaeron

In the last few beta's Phaeron has added a first time setup option in tools to help a beginner set the emulator up easily, the latest beta's can be found in this thread not too far from this page. Basically you really need to get the OS and Basic roms to have the best compatibility although Phaerons built in OS is remarkably good. Read the Help file to see what differences the different models and memory settings Altirra emulates and why BASIC sometimes needs to be enabled.

After that its as simple as setting up a joystick or using the keyboard as one and then finding disk images called atr's which you will find help with in the beginners thread which is 'sticky'ed' near the top of the main Atari 8 bit forum.

The images Altirra uses mainly are Atr, Xex, CAS (cassette images), rom, Xfd, dcm and car files, these will boot automatically when using the 'File / Boot Image' option or simply dragging and dropping on the emulator window...

To start you off I'd reccomend downloading these 4 disk images from this thread..

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/187482-4-atari-16mb-hard-disk-images-completed/?do=findComment&comment=2366659

There's hundreds of games ready to go amongst them, brilliant work by DrVenkman on these...

That is a small sample of what is on the Atari, its always good to look for 'what is your favourite game' type threads to see what people like the most or I could plug the gamepack I'm involved in with the user Starwindz which has a huge selection of much loved games..

Link in my sig...

Have fun, Paul..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Could also look at Atari's original user manuals.

Update:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test35.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test35-src.zip

• ATRs with partial sectors are now padded to the next sector rather than truncating the partial sector.
  • PC breakpoints are now bank sensitive. No access breakpoints above bank 0 yet -- this will require a rewrite of the high bank table handling in the MMU.
  • Fixed assembler errors when trying to assemble branches above bank 0.
  • Fixed read-modify-write instructions in 65C816 mode to properly do read/write/write in emulation mode.
  • Like 2

Right click on the Help file, click on properties, in the General tab near the bottom will be a box called Unblock, tick it and click ok, now open the file again..

Also read my post and Phaerons a few posts before this...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Right click on the Help file, click on properties, in the General tab near the bottom will be a box called Unblock, tick it and click ok, now open the file again..

Also read my post and Phaerons a few posts before this...

thank you for your kindness guys, as you can see, i don't have "unblock" option. i'm on Windows 10 x64 :( . Here it is all i get for Altirra thanks to you.

16050901311216744214211869.jpg

Edited by greatxerox

thank you for your kindness guys, as you can see, i don't have "unblock" option. i'm on Windows 10 x64 :( . Here it is all i get for Altirra thanks to you.

Do the same for "Altirra.chm" file, which is the help file. Just ensure that it is Unblocked.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see rdea6 reply.

Edited by Madi

thank you . Finally i installed "extrachm" tool. i can read the .chm. i'll take slowly in order to understand how to use Altirra.

Mclaneinc said there is an useful post for beginners in this topic. i have to find it.

Edited by greatxerox

Running 2.80t35. Having issues with PCLink not working right. When trying to access PCL: a 138 device doesn't respond error will come up. When the PCLINK driver loads ( version 0.8 ) it sometimes reports that no server was found too. But even if it doesn't report that, the device will still error with 138.

Also what seems to work (so far after quite a number of tries), is to use the COLD command of SDX. Upon the reboot that causes, PCLink then works correctly. Additionally, I've noticed that the SIO device ID that the PCLink driver will assign is consistently $6F when things are working correctly (such as after a COLD command), but is usually something else when not working. When not working it usually seems that $00 is assigned but I have seen $20 also I think. I'm not sure, but I thought I saw it as $6F when it didn't work too.

** Edit: the problem happens when rebooting the emulated machine from within the Ultimate BIOS. Only COLD seems to reliably allow PCLink to work.

Edited by fujidude

What is the size limit on a new .vhd file created from within Altirra? I tried 4096MB bit it did not work. I tried 2000MB and it went okay.

4095MB. I could have sworn I raised this. Oh well, I'll raise it again on the next build. In the meantime, you can use virtual machine software to create the larger VHD.

Running 2.80t35. Having issues with PCLink not working right. When trying to access PCL: a 138 device doesn't respond error will come up. When the PCLINK driver loads ( version 0.8 ) it sometimes reports that no server was found too. But even if it doesn't report that, the device will still error with 138.

Also what seems to work (so far after quite a number of tries), is to use the COLD command of SDX. Upon the reboot that causes, PCLink then works correctly. Additionally, I've noticed that the SIO device ID that the PCLink driver will assign is consistently $6F when things are working correctly (such as after a COLD command), but is usually something else when not working. When not working it usually seems that $00 is assigned but I have seen $20 also I think. I'm not sure, but I thought I saw it as $6F when it didn't work too.

** Edit: the problem happens when rebooting the emulated machine from within the Ultimate BIOS. Only COLD seems to reliably allow PCLink to work.

Haven't been able to repro this myself, using SDX 4.47 + PCLINK.SYS 0.8. A couple of suggestions: remove the /S switch if you are using it to configure PCLINK.SYS for SIOV, and try disabling PBI support in the U1MB setup.

4095MB. I could have sworn I raised this. Oh well, I'll raise it again on the next build. In the meantime, you can use virtual machine software to create the larger VHD.

Haven't been able to repro this myself, using SDX 4.47 + PCLINK.SYS 0.8. A couple of suggestions: remove the /S switch if you are using it to configure PCLINK.SYS for SIOV, and try disabling PBI support in the U1MB setup.

I had already removed the /S from it. If I disable PBI BIOS with the U1MB BIOS, then I can't use the HDD. Are you saying that PCLink is mutually exclusive to PBI BIOS being enabled? If so, how come it always used to work, and still does if issuing a COLD command 1st?

• Like 1

I had already removed the /S from it. If I disable PBI BIOS with the U1MB BIOS, then I can't use the HDD. Are you saying that PCLink is mutually exclusive to PBI BIOS being enabled? If so, how come it always used to work, and still does if issuing a COLD command 1st?

No, I'm saying temporarily disable it to see if it changes behavior since it hooks into the SIOV chain. How/why/what to do follows afterward if we get a difference. I have no idea why you're seeing the behavior you are, so we need clues first.

No problems cold booting from the U1MB BIOS: PCLink starts up fine. Tried 65C816 mode plus various SIO acceleration settings without issue. Even tried setting a conflicting drive assignment on the U1MB PBI and the virtual folder (i.e. PCLink server). PCLink still worked. Can you post your CONFIG.SYS?

No, I'm saying temporarily disable it to see if it changes behavior since it hooks into the SIOV chain. How/why/what to do follows afterward if we get a difference. I have no idea why you're seeing the behavior you are, so we need clues first.

Greetings. Okay, I transfered my bootup config from the HDD to a big floppy. I then disabled the PBI BIOS from within U1MB BIOS as you said. Everything works normally that way. So whatever you are thinking it seems you might be on the right track.

SDX supports up to fifteen drives ($1 to $F in the low nybble of Device), and (IIRC) eight device IDs in the upper nybble. The SDX SIO table has room for four entries, IIRC, (SIO.SYS, PCLINK.SYS, SIDE.SYS, etc), so if the PCLINK driver fails to install, it's likely that the SIO table is full (this is why I asked for a look at his CONFIG.SYS). The SIO table is completely separate from any PBI devices, of course. If there's a conflicting unit number (i.e. a PBI partition and a PCLink drive both on drive 2, for instance), the PCL: device will still be accessible (since it's on a different SIO device ID which the PBI BIOS will ignore).

I can only say that PCLINK works very well here either on the real Atari + real server, or on the emulated Atari + emulated server combo. I vaguely remember that enabling various SIO acceleration options (under System->Acceleration) is asking for weird problems, so I always start off from disabling all that. Once this is eliminated, I am clueless.

For something completely different:

1) in the debugger: ba r seems to react also on writes. ba r $0600, later POKE $0600,0 from the SDX prompt, hit on STA (BUFADR),Y [$00:0600]. Same reaction in BASIC on POKE 1536,0.

2) the audio monitor: perhaps I am interpreting its display incorrectly, but does it show the state of the second Pokey when the stereo is enabled? A little description would be helpful, but I was unable to find it in the help file (a search for /Audio monitor/ returns nothing).

3) System->Audio menu: one can enable and disable separate audio channels, but only 1-4. When the stereo is enabled, there is 8 channels, so perhaps it would be useful to offer an option to disable/enable all of them separately.