IGNORED

Altirra 2.70 released

phaeron

Hello Everyone,

I have a question that is the easiest to show with a screenshot. However, I can't seem to be able to paste a picture and/or any files to this posting. Obviously, that is possible as others here are doing it. Can you please give me some helpful hints? Thanks.

Hello Everyone,

I have a question that is the easiest to show with a screenshot. However, I can't seem to be able to paste a picture and/or any files to this posting. Obviously, that is possible as others here are doing it. Can you please give me some helpful hints? Thanks.

When posting, look to the right of the "Post" button, for the "More Reply Options" button. There you will find the image uploader.

Hello All,

I was editing in Action! and the "...no help for this message..." below keeps popping up. I don't even know what triggers it. Can someone please tell me how to turn it off because it is becoming annoying? Thanks.

post-22778-0-19331500-1463361065_thumb.jpg

Hello All,

I apologize for the strings of simple questions tonight. I've been trying to figure it out on my own before reaching out for some help. I hope that this one is the last one of the day. I'm using the Action! Editor.

To move to the beginning of the line on the real Atari 800, the command is "Ctrl+Shift+<". I found that I can do the same thing in Altirra with "Ctrl+Shift+Home". Great!

But, I've tried many keys combinations to move to the end of a line but I haven't been able to figure it out yet. On the real Atari 800, the command is "Shift+Ctrl+>". Can anyone please help? Thanks!

Hello All,

I apologize for the strings of simple questions tonight. I've been trying to figure it out on my own before reaching out for some help. I hope that this one is the last one of the day. I'm using the Action! Editor.

To move to the beginning of the line on the real Atari 800, the command is "Ctrl+Shift+<". I found that I can do the same thing in Altirra with "Ctrl+Shift+Home". Great!

But, I've tried many keys combinations to move to the end of a line but I haven't been able to figure it out yet. On the real Atari 800, the command is "Shift+Ctrl+>". Can anyone please help? Thanks!

Nevermind about this question.

I kept playing some more and figured it out by using a Custom Keyboard Layout.

I'm using the 8K ROM version of Altirra BASIC which is absolutely great and better than the original flavor that came with my machine, but I do have a request. It's about commenting one's code. I love the fact that I can use a period instead of the word REM to add a comment, but when I list the program I see that it reverts to a REM. Is there someway to be able to have the period stick when doing a listing? This is really the one thing that has always bothered me when writing code in BASIC vs Assembly, the REM's distract too much, and take up valuable room when considering the 40 column screen width.

And yes I understand that the method of commenting I am describing breaks compatibility with other BASIC's, but then so do some of the other added programming expressions. So maybe to keep from messing with the existing way things are done, perhaps a semi-colon or an asterisk can be used instead (either one being a single key press on the Atari keyboard).

But no matter what, this version of BASIC will forever hold a slot on my system.

- Michael

• Like 1

The hover popup only appears if you are holding the Shift key while hovering over a position with the mouse.

Ctrl+Shift+Insert is the default PC mapping for Ctrl+Shift+>.

Thanks, Avery. As you may know, just about all of Action!'s keyboard commands include the use of the Shift key. Is there a way to disable the hover popup? It's not being very helpful to me right now.

I tried Ctrl+Shift+Insert and it does not seem to work on Altirra for some reason. May be it has something to do with my computer keyboard. That's what I used to use with Atari800Win Plus - I just tested it and it still works. I remapped in the Altirra Custom Layout to Ctrl+Shift+< and Ctrl+Shift+>. It's working just fine now with Altirra.

BTW, the 65C816 (21.48MHz) CPU just breezes right through the compilation :)

I'm using the 8K ROM version of Altirra BASIC which is absolutely great and better than the original flavor that came with my machine, but I do have a request. It's about commenting one's code. I love the fact that I can use a period instead of the word REM to add a comment, but when I list the program I see that it reverts to a REM. Is there someway to be able to have the period stick when doing a listing? This is really the one thing that has always bothered me when writing code in BASIC vs Assembly, the REM's distract too much, and take up valuable room when considering the 40 column screen width.

And yes I understand that the method of commenting I am describing breaks compatibility with other BASIC's, but then so do some of the other added programming expressions. So maybe to keep from messing with the existing way things are done, perhaps a semi-colon or an asterisk can be used instead (either one being a single key press on the Atari keyboard).

But no matter what, this version of BASIC will forever hold a slot on my system.

- Michael

I also dabbled with the Altirra BASIC. I may be missing something because it does not seem to have a line renumbering command (with re-referencing). For me, that's a big feature.

Afraid not. The . is a side effect of the way that abbreviations work in Atari BASIC -- the interpreter picks the first name that matches, and the . simply matches the very first statement, which is REM. This only happens during parsing and once the program is tokenized there's no difference between abbreviating and not abbreviating the command. Altirra BASIC follows this tradition and it would break backwards compatibility to have them be different. For a case like this, I'd recommend editing your program outside of the interpreter in a text editor and then parsing it with the ENTER command.

Thanks, Avery. As you may know, just about all of Action!'s keyboard commands include the use of the Shift key. Is there a way to disable the hover popup? It's not being very helpful to me right now.

I tried Ctrl+Shift+Insert and it does not seem to work on Altirra for some reason. May be it has something to do with my computer keyboard. That's what I used to use with Atari800Win Plus - I just tested it and it still works. I remapped in the Altirra Custom Layout to Ctrl+Shift+< and Ctrl+Shift+>. It's working just fine now with Altirra.

The hover popup issue is really strange. It should only be appearing if the Shift key is held after the mouse is moved and for the quarter-second before it auto-hides; before or after that it shouldn't pop up. Are you getting the mouse cursor auto-hiding when not moving the mouse? There was a problem with other programs injecting mouse moves to suppress screensavers and making the emulator think the mouse was constantly moving (MPC-HC, to be specific), but I put in a workaround for that a while ago.

Are you saying that Ctrl+Shift+Insert doesn't work in the default mapping, but you were able to custom bind it? Would you mind exporting your custom bindings from the keyboard customization dialog and posting it here or PM'ing it to me? It could be that there's an alternate keyboard encoding for Ctrl+Shift+Insert that I need to add to the default mapping.

Hi

Is this basic only an emulator type program for windows type computers or can this be purchase on a Cartridge for the Atari 800 or 130XE computers?

Thanks

It will work on the actual hardware. Currently it isn't being offered for purchase that I know of, and although the license is permissive enough to allow it, I'd frown upon anyone doing so without asking me for permission given the work I've put into it. If you want to have it on a real cart, I'd recommend purchasing a flash cartridge such as an AtariMax MaxFlash 1Mb and flashing it yourself to a slot on that. Just about any flash cartridge can support it since it's just a plain 8K cart.

• Like 1

Avery,

No problem. I'm glad to help. I'm currently using the latest Altirra 2.80-test 37.

"Are you saying that Ctrl+Shift+Insert doesn't work in the default mapping, but you were able to custom bind it? Would you mind exporting your custom bindings from the keyboard customization dialog and posting it here or PM'ing it to me? It could be that there's an alternate keyboard encoding for Ctrl+Shift+Insert that I need to add to the default mapping."

The Ctrl+Shift+Insert doesn't seem to work in the default mapping - at least with my computer keyboard which combines Delete (Shift) / Insert functions.

I think I found an issue using the following steps: 1) Exported the Custom Layout, 2) Clear the Layout Mappings, 3) Import the Exported Layout, 4) and the Imported Layout is completely wrong!

Please see the attachments. I included the Custom Layout exported file per your request.

Hayden

post-22778-0-53766000-1463660212_thumb.jpg

post-22778-0-06407900-1463660253_thumb.jpg

post-22778-0-31482800-1463660263_thumb.jpg

post-22778-0-20920900-1463660272_thumb.jpg

post-22778-0-80749500-1463660283_thumb.jpg

post-22778-0-80394400-1463660296_thumb.jpg

Action!.zip

Edited by atx4us

Avery,

"The hover popup issue is really strange. It should only be appearing if the Shift key is held after the mouse is moved and for the quarter-second before it auto-hides; before or after that it shouldn't pop up. Are you getting the mouse cursor auto-hiding when not moving the mouse? There was a problem with other programs injecting mouse moves to suppress screensavers and making the emulator think the mouse was constantly moving (MPC-HC, to be specific), but I put in a workaround for that a while ago."

Now that you've explained how the help popup is invoked, I noticed that I'm triggering the popup by frequently working the Action! Shift-Ctrl commands and moving the mouse around. Can you please add an option to disable the popup?

Thanks,

Hayden

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test38.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test38-src.zip

• Fixes the (many) bugs in custom keyboard layout import/export. Try it again.
  • .bas files are now recognized when booting a .zip file.
  • Added DXGI-based vsync support for the D3D9 display path. This should reduce CPU usage when running vsync on systems with the DWM enabled.
  • Like 5

Hi Avery, just booted up Diskey By Sparkey Starks which was something I and many hackers used back in the day before we got Ominmons etc and noticed it won't work with Altirra built in basic.

Just wondering what the issue is, not asking for a fix, just interested.

I'm sure there's many (but not too many) programs that won't work because of optimisations etc but for some reason when you see something that has some sort of sentimental attachment you wonder "why that one" :)

On a semi unrelated thread, anyone know who Sparkey Starks was?

I've always had this idea it was Scott Adams Brother, the Man who created The Happy Drive board, after all its a release from Adventure International ie Scott Adams.

Edited by Mclaneinc

Hi Avery, just booted up Diskey By Sparkey Starks which was something I and many hackers used back in the day before we got Ominmons etc and noticed it won't work with Altirra built in basic.

Loaded Diskey with Altirra 2.80 test 37 under Atbasic 1.51. Diskey runs normal.

May be the issue with Diskey's copy itself.

post-37046-0-53034000-1463911779_thumb.png post-37046-0-35071600-1463911817_thumb.png

Attached the Diskey disk image used for the test.

madi

Diskey.atr

Found the culprit...Its one of those cases where (b) is used to signify BAD and not BASIC...Grr...Bloody naming conventions and their TOTAL non universal usage..

Again thanks for looking Madi, would not have spurred me to look for the bad one unless...

• Like 1

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test38.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test38-src.zip

• Fixes the (many) bugs in custom keyboard layout import/export. Try it again.
  • .bas files are now recognized when booting a .zip file.
  • Added DXGI-based vsync support for the D3D9 display path. This should reduce CPU usage when running vsync on systems with the DWM enabled.

Custom keyboard layout Import/Export is working! Thanks :thumbsup:

Edited by atx4us

Update:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test39.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test39-src.zip

• Adds execution stepping and PC breakpoint support for coprocessors (Veronica). Source-level and memory breakpoints are still not supported. Due to limitations in the way that coprocessors are run, breakpoints are currently imprecise, which can result in some execution skid after a breakpoint is hit. However, it's still better than having no execution control at all.
  • Fixed TRIG3 regression with Veronica that caused some of the original demos to hang.
  • Added enter word (ew) command to debugger.
  • Removed PBI disk patch from regular devices list and added a specific option for it. The patch mode can now be set to SIOV-only, PBI-only, or both. Previously it was not possible to enable the PBI disk patch without also having the SIOV patch also enabled, which was an issue in some scenarios where the PBI patch works better. "Both" seems to be pretty safe, but I'm still going to leave the default as SIOV-only for now.
  • Some updates to help file for profiles and options.

• Like 6

64-bit build of test 39 hanging on white screen (under Windows 10 64-bit, NVidia display driver). Totally unresponsive and has to be forced closed. Do you need any extra info?

Works normal under my system:

Windows 10 64bit, but have two displays:

Intel® HD Graphics 4600 (Integrated - default)
NVIDIA GeForce 710M card (for 3D global)
madi

...but have two displays:

Good point: same here (but both running off the same card). 32-bit build also hangs on startup, but I run Altirra on the second display (DVI). I moved test 35 back to the primary display (HDMI), closed it, then ran test 39 and it starts OK. However, if I then drag it over to the second display, it hangs again. So test 39 doesn't like the secondary display for some reason.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Hello everyone,

According to the Mapping the Atari, I can determine a PAL vs. NTSC computer by reading the value at address 53268 (below). However, in Altirra, I'm not seeing these values. Am I missing something or is there a better way to tell between a PAL vs. NTSC computer? Thanks.

"53268 $DO14 COLPM2
(W) Color and luminance of player and missile 2 (706).

PAL
® Used to determine if the Atari is PAL (European and Israeli
TV compatible when BITs 1 - 3 equal zero) or NTSC (North
American compatible when BITs 1 - 3 equal one; 14 decimal, $E)."