IGNORED

Altirra 2.70 released

phaeron

Silly trick for people who don't have a CRC checker but do have Winrar...Make a rar archive of the file and open it, Winrar gives you its crc...

Or use the free utility HashMyFiles. It calculates the CRC, SHA1, SHA2-xxx and MD5 for a list of files. Easy to use, no install needed, fast and can integrate in Windows File Explorer thus drag-n-drop or right-click on a file, select HashMyFiles and there you have the CRC.

Robert

• Like 2

Or use the free utility HashMyFiles. It calculates the CRC, SHA1, SHA2-xxx and MD5 for a list of files. Easy to use, no install needed, fast and can integrate in Windows File Explorer thus drag-n-drop or right-click on a file, select HashMyFiles and there you have the CRC.

Robert

Yes indeed, that's the utility I found after I got bored of making archives to see the crc (I use MAME where there have been over the years lots of duff crc's posted). Very easy to use as you say Robert.

Paul.

• Like 1

Missile Command for Atari 800 ROM and Missile Command for XEGS ROM are exactly identical except two bytes. These two bytes may point to OS ROM's control codes or ATASCII conversion tables for keyboard use, I think.

8190 bytes identical

2 byte difference

Spot on. It was lazy programming to begin with, they should have either coded key comparisons or just had their own copy of the key table.

Then the fix was the same laziness - point to where the keyboard table is in the XE OS. Though if used in intended fashion it wouldn't matter.

The irony of the whole thing though is that MC only uses 6K - 2K of the Rom just goes to waste, they could have added so much more.

Update:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test17.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.80-test17-src.zip

• Fixed regression in AltirraOS fill routine. Problem was that I had swapped two pieces of code at one point and caused an address delta to go negative, so the carry wasn't always guaranteed cleared in a code path that expected it to (a jump precomputation).
  • Fixed solid-state state not saving properly for raw images (VHD had already been fixed earlier).
  • New firmware images can now be dragged and dropped onto the Firmware Images dialog. Note that these must be files on disk -- you can't drag and drop virtual streams from a compressed archive like you can with boot images.

The reason for AltirraOS is, as has been said, so the emulator is usable out of the box without dependency on third party copyrights. This makes it possible to ship Altirra in a bundle with homebrew software without having to worry about the ROMs (minding the GPL, of course!). The built-in OS will never be 100% compatible with the Atari OS because it's infeasible to be 100% compatible without actually being exactly the same, which would defeat the purpose. Besides just bugs, a big reason for compatibility problems is programs that hardcode addresses into the OS ROM that are not defined vectors. I have seen this done for some of the stupidest reasons and it's one of the Reasons We Can't Have Nice Things .

As for Missile Command, yes, this really should have been avoided in the original. I can't say I mind much them fixing it this way for the XEGS, though, because it was burned onto the same ROM chip as the ver. 4 OS. You weren't supposed to be able to use it with any other OS.

For computing CRC-32s, if you have added firmware in Altirra's Firmware Images dialog, the CRC-32 is also reported in the properties for each firmware image. It's the same CRC as used by the .zip format and by Atari-focused ROM management tools. At some point I plan to add CRC-32 reporting somewhere for disk and cartridge images, as well.

• Like 10

Exactly. For legal concerns, Avery doesn't wish to include the real ROM images with his emulator, yet obviously wishes the emulator to be functional "out of the box." Still though, I strongly advise using the real ROMs instead.

Thanks for the explanation and it makes a lot of sense. But just to finish out a thought on this topic, I somehow remember that Atari did authorize the distribution of their OS ROMs.

Thanks for the explanation and it makes a lot of sense. But just to finish out a thought on this topic, I somehow remember that Atari did authorize the distribution of their OS ROMs.

X-Former, the Atari 8-bit emulator for the Atari ST, had permission from Atari to include the OS rom. But this was only for X-Former (and its PC ports), not a general authorisation.

X-Former, the Atari 8-bit emulator for the Atari ST, had permission from Atari to include the OS rom. But this was only for X-Former (and its PC ports), not a general authorisation.

Correct. So that is one easy legit source of the ROMs. Another is dumping your own machine's ROMs. And then there is a smorgasbord of other sources for them too.

firmwaredetect.cpp:

} kATKnownFirmwares[]={
    { 0x4248d3e3,  2048, kATFirmwareType_Kernel5200, L"Atari 5200 OS (4-port)" },
    { 0xc2ba2613,  2048, kATFirmwareType_Kernel5200, L"Atari 5200 OS (2-port)" },
    { 0x4bec4de2,  8192, kATFirmwareType_Basic, L"Atari BASIC rev. A" },
    { 0xf0202fb3,  8192, kATFirmwareType_Basic, L"Atari BASIC rev. B" },
    { 0x7d684184,  8192, kATFirmwareType_Basic, L"Atari BASIC rev. C" },
    { 0xc1b3bb02, 10240, kATFirmwareType_Kernel800_OSA, L"Atari 400/800 OS-A NTSC" },
    { 0x72b3fed4, 10240, kATFirmwareType_Kernel800_OSA, L"Atari 400/800 OS-A PAL" },
    { 0x0e86d61d, 10240, kATFirmwareType_Kernel800_OSB, L"Atari 400/800 OS-B NTSC" },
    { 0x3e28a1fe, 10240, kATFirmwareType_Kernel800_OSB, L"Atari 400/800 OS-B NTSC (patched)" },
    { 0x0c913dfc, 10240, kATFirmwareType_Kernel800_OSB, L"Atari 400/800 OS-B PAL" },
    { 0xc5c11546, 16384, kATFirmwareType_Kernel1200XL, L"Atari 1200XL OS" },
    { 0x643bcc98, 16384, kATFirmwareType_KernelXL, L"Atari XL/XE OS ver.1" },
    { 0x1f9cd270, 16384, kATFirmwareType_KernelXL, L"Atari XL/XE OS ver.2" },
    { 0x29f133f7, 16384, kATFirmwareType_KernelXL, L"Atari XL/XE OS ver.3" },
    { 0x1eaf4002, 16384, kATFirmwareType_KernelXEGS, L"Atari XL/XE/XEGS OS ver.4" },
    { 0xbdca01fb,  8192, kATFirmwareType_Game, L"Atari XEGS Missile Command" },
    { 0xa8953874, 16384, kATFirmwareType_BlackBox, L"Black Box ver. 1.34" },
    { 0x91175314, 16384, kATFirmwareType_BlackBox, L"Black Box ver. 1.41" },
    { 0x7cafd9a8, 65536, kATFirmwareType_BlackBox, L"Black Box ver. 2.16" },
    { 0xa6a9e3d6,  8192, kATFirmwareType_MIO, L"MIO ver. 1.41 (64Kbit)" },
    { 0x1d400131, 16384, kATFirmwareType_MIO, L"MIO ver. 1.41 (128Kbit)" },
    { 0xe2f4b3a8, 32768, kATFirmwareType_MIO, L"MIO ver. 1.41 (256Kbit)" },

};

CRC32 c5c11546= Atari 1200XL OS v10 82.10.26, right?

And Atari 1200XL OS v11 82.12.23, CRC32 1a1d7b1b?

Edited by suppawer

Yes indeed, that's the utility I found after I got bored of making archives to see the crc (I use MAME where there have been over the years lots of duff crc's posted). Very easy to use as you say Robert.

Paul.

I find this absolutely vital and have had it installed for many years now: http://implbits.com/products/hashtab/

There is also a command line CRC utility I have used as well: crc32sum.exe. Oddly I cannot find a current link for that nor remember quite how it is supposed to do its thing!

This seems to offer a better and currently maintained application for both CRC32 and MD5 hashes: http://esrg.sourceforge.net/utils_win_up/md5sum/

Phaeron, getting Error 12 under Altirra BASIC for pretty much anything using Jindrosh's Bas2Boot

Not got my error checker handy but same disk works fine under Basic B

I believe that this is because BAS2BOOT's BASIC loader uses direct jumps to Atari BASIC CONT and EXECUTE routines. This is a non-public API, thus you cannot expect Altirra BASIC to have the routines at the same addresses.

When it comes to bas2boot, there can be one thing worth considering. A small tool that would take tokenised Altirra BASIC program and create a standalone binary load file.

There are such tools for Atari Basic (BCOM, for example ), but appear to use "unofficial" jumps that will not work with Altirra BASIC. But if Altirra BASIC provides an "official" entry point...

Imagine it, a fast Altirra basic program distributed as completely standalone executable.

1. DATA SEGMENT wilth 8KB Altirra BASIC

2. INIT SEGMENT - Place Altirra Basic to A000-BFFFF

3. DATA SEGMENT tokenized BASIC program

4. RUN SEGMENT - Call Altirra BASIC and execute the program

There's no need to provide an additional entry point to do this. The disk version of Altirra BASIC automatically attempts to run autorun.bas, and for built-in BASIC temporarily redirecting E: is the fully legal way to do it. If a single executable is desired the program can just be pushed through a compiler.

• Like 1

I found some errors in the emulator.

1. tape image "Turbo - Turbo.cas".

the image successfully boots in the emulator but if to cause the "tape control" menu - the emulator suffers crash.

2. some images of cartridges after start go to a cycle of continuous reset.
images worked normally at version 2.8 test 11.

post-29967-0-69646800-1456087379_thumb.jpg

Turbo - Turbo.zip

cartridges.zip

AltirraCrash.zip

Edited by serj