IGNORED

Homebrew goodies from the past ?

mantadoc

This modded cartridge I used extensively before XB 2.7 suite came out.

It has :

• Triton Super Extended Basic
  • Editor Assembler
  • TI Writer
  • Disk Manger 3.0

One of the main things I really liked about this version of XB was the 'TRACE' command. It had the ability to open a log file on a diskette and would log every line that it executed. once errored out all you had to do was issue one last 'Print #' file/io command to dump the last peice and close the file. Then you could view it. This cartridge helped me a great bit when debugging XB code for my BBS, to at least see what line it was erroring on.

post-35187-0-60943400-1450821456_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-10063200-1450821464_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-17755000-1450821472_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cschneider
  • Like 3

The four 74LS161 chips do the addressing for the GROM simulation on that board. It was designed by Heiner Martin and people in Germany did all kinds of interesting things with it, as we can see from what was done with this pair of boards Mantadoc has. TI actually had a published specification for boards like this, called an EGROM cartridge, which is where the idea for these boards came from. The EGROM boards were often used in prototype cartridges and in some low volume production cartridges as well (Advertizer/Info Spot is one I can think of that used them).

The UberGROM gets rid of the discrete logic and pulls all of the GROM simulation into a single chip--and has slots for up to 15 GROMs on up to 15 GROM bases. You can put up to five of the GROMs on each base, but using it that way only lets you simulate three five-GROM cartridges simultaneously (although a host of smaller cartridges can also be stuffed in there by putting each one on a different base (until you've used all of the 15 available GROM slots, anyway)).

• Like 1

This modded cartridge I used extensively before XB 2.7 suite came out.

It has :

• Triton Super Extended Basic
  • Editor Assembler
  • TI Writer
  • Disk Manger 3.0

One of the main things I really liked about this version of XB was the 'TRACE' command....

I used that sometimes as well. I'd add a temporary line as a hook to begin the trace closer to the area I was working on. Or add a way to adjust the variables before entering that segment and maybe pop them up onscreen. I also displayed TRACE to the screen instead of file or printer, but onscreen was hard to follow and blew the display, but helped track some wayward GOTO or to find where keypresses sent you. With triple-nested loops, using both screen-specific and global defaults, plus user-defined options or input, how you ended up at the error point from where you began is sometimes a mystery. Especially on the 50th revision/expansion of my spaghetti code!

My best TI homebrew hardware project, other than cobbling old PC stuff onto it or kludged power supplies and cables, was to add a "fourth" drive to the stock TI by wiring a DPDT switch on the power lines to choose between Drive 3a or 3b. That sort of mod could be carried on for as many drives as you wished to extend a data cable plus switchable power to any of the 3 original drive designations. Just make sure you remember or indicate with power LEDS which drive you're currently connected to, otherwise mischief and mayhem will surely result!

Edited by Ed in SoDak

The Winfried Winkler Editor Assembler Cartridge was the GRAM KRACKER version of modifications of the EA Cart.

Later versions put the disk Editor and Assembler into separate GROM chips like the GRAM KRACKER versions did.

I combined everything into one cart with REA 2012 that has Editor Assembler and GPL Assembler and Editor all in GROMs.

Edited by RXB
  • Like 2

Ich glaube, Super Spezial spricht von das Modul Platine, nicht von die Programm-Inhalt. Winfried hat das EA Modul etwas umgeschrieben und erweitert.

I'm pretty sure that Super Spezial is what the builder called the module board--and it had nothing to do with the program contents. Winfried did some extension and other rewrites in the EA module.

Which version is the German LOGO GROM? I have the original cartridge for LOGO 1.1 German, and I've seen the GROM files for the LOGO II German (I may even have them here somewhere, although I've never seen a physical copy of the original German LOGO II cartridge). I have LOGO in several target languages (German, Dutch, Italian, English, and Spanish), and I'm still trying to get one of the ones in French. There may be others, as the language stubs in the first GROM support several more (I suspect Danish and Swedish as most likely). I hope to eventually find a set of the console manuals in Danish and Swedish as well, since I don't have those yet, either.

• Like 1

Another variant of the Editor Assembler, this time with GRAM on it, which may be why your GRAM card disappeared from the screen, as it is probably set to the same GROM base. The more I look at these, the more I remember. Herr Ziegler used to show up at the TI Treff regularly up until the early nineties. I remember seeing this hardware before. I seem to remember that the version of the EA with the 1986 copyright was a variant that floated around as a module GRAM file called EA6. I think it may have originated in Austria (or possibly Munich, as both groups were doing things with the EA back then).