IGNORED

How to use the UIEC/SD?

Link6415

You can put both types of files on the SD card. The PRG files, you load directly from the card but for the D64 files you need to CD into (think "mount") before you can use them.

The C64 very rarely has PRG files, pretty much only on Zimmers' FTP site. However T64 files pretty much are PRG files with an extra header, so any tool to convert between file formats, like cbmconvert will let you convert T64 to PRG without data loss.

• 2 weeks later...

For the D64 files you need to CD into (think "mount") before you can use them.

What exactly do you mean? I've been thinking about looking at my current project on actual hardware but it has multiple files and it looks like it will have to remain a .D64.

You put your D64 file(s) on the SD card, then you enter them with a command like this:

OPEN 1,8,15:PRINT#1,"CD:IMAGE.D64":CLOSE 1

If you got a fastloader cartridge or other wedge, you can use @"CD:IMAGE.D64" instead of the BASIC commands.

Once you want to go back one level, you issue the same command but type "CD:<-", i.e. the back arrow in upper left corner.

Okay, I did @"CD:thewan.d64", and the C64 froze (I assumed it was loading the .d64). It was taking quite a bit of time and after a while, I turned it off so that I could go to bed. Now, I know the C64 is famous for its long load times, but I did have a fast load cart in. Does it normally take a long time or did I do something wrong?

It should be instantaneous, since it just changes the directory of the SD device. You still need to load programs inside the D64 as regular after changing directory. If the computer froze, something must be wrong. Please recap which cartridge and which SD device you're using, in case it would matter. Possibly you might have to get rid of the quotation marks, it depends on the wedge if it can skip those or not.