IGNORED

Falcon Video Borked

A few weeks ago I did some work on my Falcon. Namely, I removed the original power supply, wired up an adapter, and plugged up a standard ATX power supply. It worked fine for days. Then, busy with other things, I put it in a storage bin. Now, I fire it up, and the VGA output looks as you see in the attached image. I switched out the 14MB RAM module for the original 4MB joint. No difference. CTRL+ALT+DEL does reboot the box. Also, when I connect headphones to the audio out port, I can hear the keypresses. What, oh what, could it be?

post-23588-0-14465400-1451076652_thumb.jpg

Try connecting it to a tv with the rf modulator.

Does the RF modulator use a different set of signals? The reason I ask is because I tested the Falcon with an RGB output block connected to a Best Electronics VGA cable, then connected to an Ambery box and the output is exactly the same, except for a thick white border.

The original power supply isn't an option. But I am fairly confident the problem is not there, since I ran the machine for nearly a week with the new one. I live in the U.S.; New York. Are there some well-known persons I should contact directly, or should I just start a new topic in this forum with a request for help?

The original power supply isn't an option. But I am fairly confident the problem is not there, since I ran the machine for nearly a week with the new one. I live in the U.S.; New York. Are there some well-known persons I should contact directly, or should I just start a new topic in this forum with a request for help?

I would strongly recommend you look for "SMT re-work" companies locally. While I work with SMT stuff (in UK) and could possibly do it, I wouldn't be happy working on a £800+ machine as I know there can be small blobs of solder which can be behind the pins and short out the chip which can't be seen even under a magnifier. There are probably others who may take up the challenge, but I really would look for a re-work company and get it done professionally on proper SMT machines and they will x-ray it for shorts. IMHO you don't want a "cheap job" on such a rare bird.

Thank you for this. Agreed. The only reservation I have is that we cannot be sure that a rework will fix it. I mean, what if the Videl is dead?

I'm assuming that your Videl is dead (not saying it is, just a guess, others might have other suggestions) and assuming you are going to change the chip - in which case use a professional re-work company as they will change the chip for you.

I had "hoped" bad RAM was the problem, since it is an easy fix. But re-seating the RAM and even replacing the 14MB module with the original 4MB module did not help.

If you have a scope, I would suggest you try the 5V rail on your ATX PSU. A lot of PSU's have really spiky voltages, its possible that could be blowing chips on your falcon. So would test it out and make sure that the PSU doesn't have issues in case that is the problem.