IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

They've probably been getting legal counsel about how to extract themselves from this mess.

I'm sure their contract does not include allowing lies and deceit at leisure already.

They had 7 days from the ToyFair SNES-in-a-Jag (yeah I like the sound of it) to the CaptureCard-in-a-Jag, I don't think anyone appreciated the result.

• Like 1

Except there are only two possibilities.

1) The holders of the name "Coleco" were in on the scam, and we can't trust what they say.

2) They weren't in on the scam and they had an SNES in Jag shell in their own booth for many days and they didn't think anything was fishy. Think about this. They saw it set up, they saw the SD2SNES cart menu screens, they saw them putting SNES games into it. They might even have seen the case open to fiddle with the controller connections. They certainly read the Facebook posts after the first day that said "it's a SNES!" and they didn't give it a closer look. If they are that gullible, why would you trust what they say now?

Yeah their "report" is going to be bollocks seeing as their twitter account refuted accusations that there was an SNES Mini in the shell at the Toy Fair. They were in on it with Mike.

• Like 1

Seven days is your standard grace period, and it's more leniency than Mike deserves.

In legal terms it also "makes time of the essence."

A court (if it came to that) would not see it as an unreasonable period while it also enforces a legal deadline.

Or they could just be nice people.

• Like 4

For what? Deceit?

Never heard of that.

IMHO the only sensible action from Coleco is to cut their ties with RVGS, it's painful because that abomination was front and center a the toy fair booth, still, you don't double down, you cut your losses.

If behind the scene unofficially they want to keep on working with them in the hope that the tooth fairy would given them a new videogame console, so be it. But officially the tie MUST be severed.

All the bad press all over the internet is really stinking up the Coleco name. It's not like the Coleco of the old days that bestowed upon us the fine Colecovision console. No sir!

• Like 4

Yeah their "report" is going to be bollocks seeing as their twitter account refuted accusations that there was an SNES Mini in the shell at the Toy Fair. They were in on it with Mike.

of course their twitter account refuted it. A big company isnt going to acknowledge something like that in social media to a mob of angry retro gamers.

Or they could just be nice people.

Sure but what's to be nice about?

Seriously? Coleco brought them (RVGS "team") at the fair and got into a shitstorm of lies and deceit. The KS plug was pulled and more lies and deceit came in.

Nobody asked RVGS to do any of that .... RVGS said they were ready (many times), RVGS doctored the images, RVGS keeps on spewing nonsense.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

It seems Mike has become toxic, is anyone standing by him?

6 mins · Denton, TX, United States ·

Announcement: I have tendered my resignation to RETRO Magazine, effective immediately.

I had already turned in two pieces for the next issue, which may still run, but as of 4:00pm Central time today, I am no longer with the publication.

I am grateful to have been part of it from the very first issue. Seeing my mother-in-law reading my work in a Barnes & Noble location was a special highlight for me. At the present time, however, I am moving on from it to focus on other projects.

• Like 4

For what? Deceit?

Never heard of that.

IMHO the only sensible action from Coleco is to cut their ties with RVGS, it's painful because that abomination was front and center a the toy fair booth, still, you don't double down, you cut your losses.

If behind the scene unofficially they want to keep on working with them in the hope that the tooth fairy would given them a new videogame console, so be it. But officially the tie MUST be severed.

I have a better question. Why are you so suspicious of something as mundane as this? So they gave him seven days. I honestly don't see any shenanigans here.

Look, this is about ass-coverage. Coleco is giving Mike a mile to prove himself, and they already know that he can't do it. But should this go to court, they can say "Look, we gave him more than enough time to prove himself, and he didn't."

That's what this is about.

In legal terms it also "makes time of the essence."

A court (if it came to that) would not see it as an unreasonable period while it also enforces a legal deadline.

What he said.

• Like 8

I can't make the connection, care to explain?

Outside the fact that the boat is sinking and all the rats are leaving (no offense just a figure of speech, well maybe just a little offense) I am not sure what's going on.

Doesn't sound like the mag was doing well, and the Retro VGS was suppose to use the Kickstarter to pay full price for subs

One vendor--the hornmaker--sees mounting evidence that something is not right and publicly dumps his thoughts. Homer comes on to AutoAge and responds angrily to both him and and the aerodynamic engineer; the vendor finds himself not a Homer vendor anymore. The engineer never thought he was in the loop to begin with. That's okay, because the feelings all-around were mutual.

haha. toot toot I'm the horn maker! I was thinking about how similar the whole debacle was to the Homer back during the RVGS days.

• Like 9

Seven days seems very generous. Perhaps it's also meant as a cooling off period for the people watching this drama. It seems to have gotten a lot more fast and furious lately, even though most if not all of the facts are already in.

Note to self: when lending out a good (if ancient and already a bit of a joke) name to others, obtain assurance that they can deliver before going public.

If RVGS is cut out of using the Coleco name forever, that's good enough for me. I don't expect apologies from liars and idiots.

• Like 11

Also now we know Mike was told (by Piko) he had a SD2SNES in his hands (taped to the back of a Jag cart).

The cart has as sticker that says "Coleco Chameleon Prototype 1", same sticker on both the Snes-in-a-Jag and CaptureCard-in-a-Jag ...... I don't think the sticker printed itself and stick itself there.

Also there's no SD2SNES card on the second cart. But it's supposed to be the same proto from the name on the cart?

Oh wait, the proto is the cart? But it can't be the same as the console is not the same .... so confusing.

All this details point to deceit .... a sloppy one obviously (as we caught them 3 times counting the RVGS-one).

There's no defense against that, all contracts are void, there's no enforceable clause in any contract that can state: "in all cases, no matter what, even if we lie, cheat and steal, we have the right to 7 days to keep on throwing shit around as we see fit".

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 6

I have a better question. Why are you so suspicious of something as mundane as this? So they gave him seven days. I honestly don't see any shenanigans here.

Look, this is about ass-coverage. Coleco is giving Mike a mile to prove himself, and they already know that he can't do it. But should this go to court, they can say "Look, we gave him more than enough time to prove himself, and he didn't."

That's what this is about.

What he said.

I think the seven days is a ridiculously long amount of time given the history and the parties involved. Even Mike could probably order a Raspberry Pi off Amazon, watch some of Ben Heck's tutorials, get an emulator running on it, shove it in the case, and say "See, it plays games!". Given the lack of technical expertise demonstrated by RWB (assuming they are innocent in this whole thing) so far, they could be satisfied with such a "prototype".

What if RWB comes back and says "it's all good"? Will anybody believe them? Should anybody? We are well past "Fool me once, shame on you...."