IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

if i may, it was no more than 2 minutes. i know this for a fact because i was watching the thread (literally f5d right then) when the card was identified, and i went to the fb page immediately to see just how fast the photos would be removed. it was painfully clear that if it wasnt mike reading this thread, that he has someone doing it for him.

According to my estimate it took around 10 minutes. Albert and 5-11under posted the DVR cards at 9:49pm EST, the two photos were taken down at around 9:59pm and 10:25pm, see screenshots below for the timing.

post-39360-0-52841800-1456949561_thumb.pngpost-39360-0-27895900-1456949575_thumb.png

• Like 1

I kind of lost respect for Gamester81 going for victim status on his FB page https://www.facebook.com/Gamester81/posts/1032603720133039?comment_id=1032696946790383&notif_t=feed_comment_reply

On one hand he wasn't involved in the hardware so it is kind of unfair to blow him up over that, but on the other hand he did do that softball interview (that he since pulled down) and continued to let them use his company's game as one of their featured titles even after it was clear they were straight up BS'ing people.

• Like 1

River West/Colecovision is probably more angry since the booth at the Toy Fair was their to promote their Mini Arcades, Mike was a tag along at the last moment with his Retro VGS (Jag SNES)

Did they officially announce the re-release of the mini arcades? I was watching for news during the fair, but couldn't find any (still can't).

• Like 1

it not being mike would mean that there was another pr person who knew that things werent what they seemed. which would make it much worse. are we to assume lee is not only the hardware guy, but also a pr guy? so much deception in all this.

assuming someone else is invbolved, wont Mike be more talkative and present in social media? even his twitter has been dead for weeks, like you know "crap what do you mean that was a DVR?! Shit, is like that time they sold me jelly beans telling me they was magic beans, no wonder there was no beanslalk to climb on next morning!"

Edited by Cybermario

I kind of lost respect for Gamester81 going for victim status on his FB page https://www.facebook.com/Gamester81/posts/1032603720133039?comment_id=1032696946790383&notif_t=feed_comment_reply

On one hand he wasn't involved in the hardware so it is kind of unfair to blow him up over that, but on the other hand he did do that softball interview (that he since pulled down) and continued to let them use his company's game as one of their featured titles even after it was clear they were straight up BS'ing people.

He addressed all of that and apologized several pages back in this thread.

According to my estimate it took around 10 minutes. Albert and 5-11under posted the DVR cards at 9:49pm EST, the two photos were taken down at around 9:59pm and 10:25pm.

According to the Engadget(? or something like that) article that someone referenced a couple of hours ago (approximately!), some "Historian" was tweeting about it at 10:16 (approximately), so I'm guessing if Mike is part of that world, within a few retweets (I have no idea what I'm talking about with retweets), he found out about the discovery, and reacted.

(sorry for all the brackets) (can't bother looking it up again)

According to the Engadget(? or something like that) article that someone referenced a couple of hours ago (approximately!), some "Historian" was tweeting about it at 10:16 (approximately), so I'm guessing if Mike is part of that world, within a few retweets (I have no idea what I'm talking about with retweets), he found out about the discovery, and reacted.

My screenshot above was taken at 10:16pm and shows the first photo as having been deleted 17 minutes earlier.

basically that "journalist" Kris Naudus couldnt even bother to check this thread (omg so much work to browse a forum, but i call myself a journalist!), the developer of IDARB (xbox one indie game) told her about the dvr and because she is a great journalist, credited to HIM discovering the fiasco, awesome and solid journalism people!

Edited by Cybermario
  • Like 2

Hi hello that's also me. I know this thread moves fast but it's really kind of weird how two people hare are making fun of me for some reason because a blogger didn't do their job?

• Like 1

Link doesn't work????

basically that "journalist" Kris Naudus couldnt even bother to check this thread (omg so much work to browse a forum, but i call myself a journalist!), the developer of IDARB (xbox one indie game) told her about the dvr and because she is a great journalist, credited to HIM discovering the fiasco, awesome and solid journalism people!

I didn't tell her anything, I tweeted about this because it's hilarious. When she credited me for some reason I asked her to correct it to crediting this thread.

• Like 12

"Well, as the perfectly unflawed person I am with my unimpeachable business acumen, I would have searched high and low for all possible evidence pointing to a scam, up to and including gazing into the future, and base my actions and statements on that.. as Gamester should have done, if he wasn't such a money-grubbing, disingenuous shill!")

Is looking at a Picture of an SNES in a Jaguar Shell, playing SNES games with an SNES Controller, using SNES cables and an SNES power Adapter and thinking: "damn, this is an SNES" that hard? He didin't even have to come up with the idea himself. He was told about it. The Pictures were posted everywhere. It was clear as day. He's a Retro games Publisher. How clueless can he be about this? How irresponsible can People be to not even look into this crap?

I see nothing noble in doing any Action when you can only gain from doing it. Now that this Project has crashed the best for anyone involved is jump ship. It's not noble, it's good for him. Yes I'm glad he did it. It's way better than just Keep silent. I still don't see much to defend.

I am not saying Gamester81 should be punished, hated, banned or whatever. But he knew about the SNES scandal. Everybody knew. People who gave Mike the benefit of the doubt at that Point had no respect for the People with intentions of donating to this campaign. The risk wasn't on Gametrer81's side. It was on the backers side. Anyone worried about the community more than their own pockets would have said something a THAT moment. Not after they are 100% sure they'll get no Money from this whatsoever.

Piko interactive actually came out and said as clearly as he could, that he couldn't prove the prototype was NOT an SNES. He couldn't possibly in that Situation be any clearer or more honest.

Those are two very different positions to take.

And River West brands? The whole Point of the Company is to mislead People. It's very sad that they own more than just the coleco Name, they also own the rights to games and Systems. Now we're stuck with having to put up with them. But treat them as what they are: pure Investors with no love for the properties they own or this community. That's the sensible way to deal with corporations.

• Like 1

i think you are giving exhibitors at an industry show too much credit. while there is often people "in the know" at any given booth, they are also many times filled with corporate "suits" that are there to schmooze and booze, and have literally no working knowledge about their product. Ive been an exhibitor at enough industry shows in the construction world to have seen see this first hand many many times

Agreed. Probably just some marketing guys, who sell everything you want them to sell .

I'm not sure River West Brands is anything more than "just some marketing guys". We do know that the head honcho in charge (and self-described Colecovision collector) of the Coleco brand, Chris Cardillo, was there. My point is, I don't think there is anyone more "in the know" at River West Brands when it comes to Coleco and videogame consoles than Chris. Which leads me back to my original point- why trust what they have to say now?

Can't see chit captain

Sorry, the URL code squished the link, should be here. Works on my end at least.

He apologizes here,but then makes a FB post with this line:

I will publicly apologize, but calling people out to do so when there really isn't anything for them to apologize for with their role, is ridiculous.

Dude. You were basically a PR outlet for them even after they were exposed, and you defended them when Pat and Ian did their first podcast segment calling them out saying something to the effect that they didn't have all the facts.

• Like 4

I didn't tell her anything, I tweeted about this because it's hilarious. When she credited me for some reason I asked her to correct it to crediting this thread.

She has corrected it now, to "However, one picture was clear enough that users on the AtariAge forums were able to identify the board inside as a Hicap50B CCTV DVR capture card." I originally pointed it out and didn't mean to imply that you were at fault, just lazy wording by the Engadget blogger.

• Like 3

From the Colecovision FB page bout a half hour ago:

Chameleon Product: We are thankful to have a large group of passionate engineers and retro game enthusiasts who follow Coleco and other product lines. It has come to our attention that the community has certain concerns over the prototypes involving the Retro VGS model. The team at Retro remains confident that their product is developed to the extent as describe1; HOWEVER, in order to confirm or debase these concerns, Coleco has demanded to inspect the prototype units within a seven day time frame. At which time, independent engineers will review their findings and determine if those units are up to our standards. We will report some or all of those findings to the community so as long as they do not interfere with proprietary information2. We remain hopeful that the community's concerns are merely speculations3, but if there is merit to the concerns, then we have no choice but to abandon the project rather than release a sub-par product. During this time, we ask that the community allow us time to complete these inspections. Time extensions will only be granted if requested by the independent engineer. Time extensions and results will be posted here.

1 - Standard marketing speak for "we think" as opposed to "it is", or "we know". They think it's developed as described, not it is developed as described. Big difference there! Opinion of thought vs. actual reality. One is open to interpretation, the other is locked down to fact.

2- This leaves them with the option to report nothing.

3- They can keep hoping. The only saving grace, and it's remote at best, is to have something like an R-Pi or other similar board buried under the DVR card or hidden in back. Maybe team Retro will do that prior to handing it over for inspection - stuff one in under the card.