IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Thanks for your insight Kevtris.

p.s I was looking up old unlicensed console games as I find that stuff interesting and stumbled upon your logo:

PR3-JYLogo.png

http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/JY_Company

"JY Company is a company that published many pirate games, most notably many of Hummer Team's games. They appear to have been active from 1989 to late 2003."

Food for thought, the logo can be found in various places in game within that Super Mario World NES pirate. There are two versions of the ROM, one of which has all the levels unlocked. It's a fun little PowerPak app for sure.

EDIT: Yup.

Yes that is right. We found this... thing... in several of those "pirate original" games they made. I had a fun time reverse engineering their customish mappers then dumping the games for play on emulators. Interestingly enough we found this logo awhile before we knew how to actually trigger it, so the original version of my avatar on a few forums had the wrong palette at first. As for what it is, I dunno, but it looked strange enough to use as an avatar picture.

Back then, I was always sitting in the floor in front of the television with the console less than an arm's length away. Didn't matter much. These days it seems odd because people are used to wireless controllers and the system being across the room. Gotta remember, some of the first game systems we played, all the controls were actually on the system. (Those pong clones like tele-games and telstar and such...)

These days, when I play my older systems... well... I'm still sitting in the floor in front of the television with the console less than an arm's length away. Only real difference is that now it's harder to get up off the floor after a gaming session. :grin:

Don't forget also that many grown up retrogamers now have plush furniture, surround sound, and a 55" TV in their game room. Also sitting on the floor doesn't do a 40+ year old back justice. Back in the 80's when we were all kids, if you had a bean bag chair, an NES (or Atari for those born before 1980) on the floor in front of the spare TV, and a half dozen games, you were the shizzle, and all the cool kids wanted to hang out at your crib to check out your awesome dope system.

• Like 6

Don't forget also that many grown up retrogamers now have plush furniture, surround sound, and a 55" TV in their game room. Also sitting on the floor doesn't do a 40+ year old back justice. Back in the 80's when we were all kids, if you had a bean bag chair, an NES on the floor in front of the spare TV, and a half dozen games, you were the shizzle.

Back in 1983, I had my Vader in a small roll-top desk (that looked a lot like this). It was just a little larger than the Atari 2600. I'd move it next to my bed so I could play in comfort and be able to reach the switches. No sitting on the floor for me, even back then.

• Like 1

I'll tell you all this, I ain't sitting on the fucking floor or 9 inches from my TV for anything. Though I ponder to anyone with hardware insight, is this a logical "easier to reset on the system" (ala 2600) or pause on the system (SMS) rather than a controller? Or were designers in the 80s that dumb?

Well besides the beautiful people behind the NES.

• Like 1

The fallout continues to take place. Was browsing Gamester81's Youtube video last night and scrolling through the comments section look what I found:

DavidGLeaves_zps4tmlaiz1.png

It's sad to witness this whole thing. Mike really can't blame anyone other than himself. If only he were more honest and open from the very start, and more humbled to assemble a team of capable people in respective fields to do their jobs. He went into this without a strong blueprint and it's evident that he may never recover from this as far as being a "personality" within the retro gaming community.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I backed Retro two years and they're not getting a third from me. The magazine has been horribly disappointing and suffers from long delays. Issue 10 just came out when Mike promised to catch up and have issue 12 out by December 2015. It's already March 2016 and I'd be shocked if issue 12 gets here before summer. Hell, I could see the magazine quietly dying right here, at issue 10.

Sadly, none of this would surprise me in the least.

More reason why Retro is your reliable source for news and fodder. Reposted in case some of you yahoos missed it earlier.

post-33189-0-61075000-1455766037.jpg

Retro mag was a bad idea from the start, because as Mike Kennedy has hopefully learned by now, you can't delete printed words. I should write a letter to Read Retro asking where the Kickstarter is, posing as an innocuous Reader who has absolutely no clue as to the goingons of AtariAge, Youtube, and Facebook. Be interesting if I got a response from the magazine, assuming all staff haven't either resigned or been thrown under the bus...

• Like 6

I'll tell you all this, I ain't sitting on the fucking floor or 9 inches from my TV for anything. Though I ponder to anyone with hardware insight, is this a logical "easier to reset on the system" (ala 2600) or pause on the system (SMS) rather than a controller? Or were designers in the 80s that dumb?

I don't mind the sitting on the floor bit so much. I'm usually not down there for hours or anything. And if it is a longer play session, I pull my office chair over closer to the TV and play sitting in it... although KosmicStardust's comment about the bean bag started me looking online for a nice adult sized bean bag. I could snuggle down in one of those...

As far as buttons and such goes, I have no idea. But I liked the TurboGrafx's way of dealing with it. The console just has a power switch. The controller has a run button (start/pause) and a select button, and any game can be reset by holding down run and pressing select, negating the need for a separate "reset" button. I always thought it was a nice solution.

• Like 2

I kinda get annoyed when homebrews make you get off your keaster to hit the Reset switch to begin a new game. Just write a code loop that ignores presses of the Fire button for 5 seconds after the game over screen (so that you don't accidentally start a new game without getting the opportunity to snap a shot of the high score with a smartphone, or at least ogle over it), then the gamer can go right back into the fray with a quick tap of the Fire button. No reason to get up off your rocker to fiddle with the toggle switches...

• Like 2

I don't mind the sitting on the floor bit so much. I'm usually not down there for hours or anything. And if it is a longer play session, I pull my office chair over closer to the TV and play sitting in it... although KosmicStardust's comment about the bean bag started me looking online for a nice adult sized bean bag. I could snuggle down in one of those...

As far as buttons and such goes, I have no idea. But I liked the TurboGrafx's way of dealing with it. The console just has a power switch. The controller has a run button (start/pause) and a select button, and any game can be reset by holding down run and pressing select, negating the need for a separate "reset" button. I always thought it was a nice solution.

I think there was an adult novelties store selling 6 foot diameter "Liberator" bean bags. I saw it and my first thought was, "that would make an awesome game chair..."

I could do without the optional Velcro restraints though. :P

• Like 1

5.) I don't see how anyone can think that Gamester81 was even anywhere REMOTELY involved with this. Other than the fact that it was his friend, and he is co-owner or something of Collectorvision I see no evidence proving Gamester had anything to do with the project itself, other than wanting to develop for the system. And the fact that he was trying to insure his games were pack-ins. Makes sense to me.

I think it's because some people haven't got over the interview he did with Mike and his team for the RetroVGS. While he let Mike get off easy during the interview, I believe it's purely due to his poor interview skills and had nothing to do with trying to make the RetroVGS look good.

I was born a man, my knees can't take it.

Don't be so obtuse. I know real men can. Not me. Hurts.

I kinda get annoyed when homebrews make yu get off your keaster to hit the Reset switch to begin a new game. Just write a code loop that ignores presses of the Fire button for 5 seconds after the game over screen (so that you don't accidentally start a new game without getting the opportunity to snap a shot of the high score with a smartphone, or at least ogle over it), then the gamer can go right back into the fray with a quick tap of the Fire button. No reason to get up off your rocker to fiddle with the toggle switches...

I'll buy homebrews for novelty and respect, like a real cart purchase 20 years later. That's ok. But as the other thread says "Gimme me the ROM & manual" for that dollar.

I'd like to grab a fishing pole and see how many tries it takes to hook that hunk of metal near his eye.

Wow that was a little harsh. No need to say that stuff. So you don't like his eyebrow piercing that's your right, but no need to say something that uncool.

Wow that was a little harsh. No need to say that stuff. So you don't like his eyebrow piercing that's your right, but no need to say something that uncool.

I didn't say what kind of fishing pole. Could have been a kiddie toy fishing pole with a plastic hook for all you know. That's what happens when you jump to conclusions.

I didn't say what kind of fishing pole. Could have been a kiddie toy fishing pole with a plastic hook for all you know. That's what happens when you jump to conclusions.

your intention was pretty clear. toy fishing pole or not. the outcome would be the same.

your intention was pretty clear. toy fishing pole or not. the outcome would be the same.

He'd just giggle if I didn't try to reel him in. If I did reel him in, it probably wouldn't hurt. What was the outcome in your imagination?

Seriously, what the hell is that thing. It doesn't look like anything I've seen before. Oh, that's because Happy Console Gamer put more effort into his fake prototype than Mike Kennedy did. Bravo!

Yeah i messaged him on facebook asking what he used to make that abomination

• Like 1