IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Just read the Kennedy explanation (p.315) again to determine at what point in the timeline he admits to knowing the protos were fake. For the clear shell fake, he says it was why he delayed the kickstarter, so he admits to knowing by that date (at the latest).

Edited by toiletunes

Just read the Kennedy explanation (p.315) again to determine at what point in the timeline he admits to knowing the protos were fake. For the clear shell fake, he says it was why he delayed the kickstarter, so he admits to knowing by that date (at the latest).

It was when he knew that the SNES one was fake that he delayed the Kickstarter because the clear shell fake photos were shown with the announcement of the delay.

• Like 1

Yeah, I just posted that image because I found it interesting. Seriously, if you tried to pick up that 'console' it would feel unusually light. :lol:

• Like 1

Although I like the irony in these images as much as the next guy I am not sure anymore Coleco itself deserves to be mocked much further ... they did take a step back and ended the ridicule that was going on.

Maybe we should rename it as the "Trolleco Chameleon" .... or "Collecto Chameleon" or something to that direction.... or maybe it will make it even worse :)

• Like 7

I'm on board with distancing Coleco from the mockery, but let's be realistic... The fact that they ever touched this tar-baby at all means they can never truly write themselves out of the story.

This is why companies don't make it easy for small-timers to license their name. I say this as someone who's tried to get a license or two. This is exactly the scenario they want to prevent.

• Like 12

Maybe we should rename it as the "Trolleco Chameleon" .... or "Collecto Chameleon" or something to that direction.... or maybe it will make it even worse :)

Well as we mentioned before Wikipedia now tells the world it is/was the "Retro Chameleon", which seems to be a bit of "original research" (which they aren't supposed to do) as I haven't seen that used anywhere else [citation needed].

• Like 5

'Then when I saw the clear unit was also a "fake" I made the decision to withdraw from a kickstarter campaign altogether.'

...but it was apparently ok to use pics of the clear unit when you decided to withdraw from the kickstarter, even though you acknowledge that you saw that it was a fake??

Edited by toiletunes
  • Like 1

'Then when I saw the clear unit was also a "fake" I made the decision to withdraw from a kickstarter campaign altogether.'

...but it was apparently ok to use pics of the clear unit when you decided to withdraw from the kickstarter, even though you acknowledge that you saw that it was a fake??

he said delay before the "he knew" that the clear unit was fake and then withdraw after it was discovered

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/?p=3485826

• Like 3

I'm on board with distancing Coleco from the mockery, but let's be realistic... The fact that they ever touched this tar-baby at all means they can never truly write themselves out of the story.

This is why companies don't make it easy for small-timers to license their name. I say this as someone who's tried to get a license or two. This is exactly the scenario they want to prevent.

Same. I really don't see a problem. This is why bigger companies shut the door on Mike and were right to, they were protecting themselves from this kind of fallout. Granting your license Mike is the worst case scenario that actually came true.

• Like 3

Same. I really don't see a problem. This is why bigger companies shut the door on Mike and were right to, they were protecting themselves from this kind of fallout. Granting your license Mike is the worst case scenario that actually came true.

Hey I liked the Part 2 video you uploaded today, "nothing gives me more pleasure": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0vxzn1Hw7A - can't wait for the next one!

Hey I liked the Part 2 video you uploaded today, "nothing gives me more pleasure": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0vxzn1Hw7A - can't wait for the next one!

Thanks! I didn't post it here because I already celebrated the Carlsen video being reinstated and I didn't want it to look like I was spamming. But, eh, what the hell! I like the thumbnail:

And yeah, I think you guys will like the next video! Like I said, it's some of my best work and it'll be a great end piece to my coverage that I can be proud of. It'll be published on Saturday.

Believe it or not, galax, but you helped inspire a part of it! When you see it, you'll know what I'm talking about!

• Like 13

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-64-computer-and-handheld-console#/

looks like mike has inspired a copycat. lets go down the checklist.

no team info,

no prototype,

no real info on their website

✓ zero hardware spec

✓ no games listed

✓ sketchy CC-esque teaser video that gives no info

✓ high 'none of this accountability is gonna be on us' crowdfunding goal

✓ raspberry-pi based equivalent comparable to retron 5

btw, great vid sd&r!!!! im sharin it around a bit!

Edited by shawnphase
  • Like 5

✓ no team info,

✓ no prototype,

✓ no real info on their website

✓ zero hardware spec

✓ no games listed

Man, you know what sucks? Seeing stuff like this makes you want it... But... sadly it does not seem like it's being done right... MAAAAN why can't people just simply NOT shoot themselves in the foot? :(

• Like 1

✓ no team info,

✓ no prototype,

✓ zero hardware spec

✓ no games listed

The thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251494-a-new-commodore-64-computer-and-gaming-handheld-are-coming-via-indiegogo/

• Like 3

✓ no team info,

✓ no prototype,

✓ zero hardware spec

✓ no games listed

I've only looked at the IGG page, but will check out the thread about it as well as Bill L's thoughts ... but first, let me Pull A Mike Kennedy and shoot off my mouth!

It's a Commodore 64, with licensed OS ROMs from Cloanto. The one named guy has some C64 credibility, and the hardware should be easy enough to pull off -- after all, the C64-on-a-chip was done over 10 years ago, and even if this were just a reimplementation of that idea, it would still be pretty good. $150K is reasonable considering they want to build hardware.

Considering you can buy a decent plastic laptop for $200 that includes a screen, I think the $150 asking price for the replica computer is pretty silly, but no more than the relatively successful Spectrum remakes we've seen come out of Britain lately. If they make their December 2016 goal and have something available at retail (even if only at places like ThinkGeek), I would be kinda-sorta interested in reading more about it.

TL;DR I don't think it is nearly as bad as Coleco Chameleon, but it's still early.