IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

The Sinclair C5 is the most Kickstarter-y thing to ever appear before Kickstarter ever existed.

I forgot to tell you guys, for the first time this Sunday, I was participating the chatroom during Orange Lounge Radio live and they brought up Mike coming forward with his explanation of what happened here. I gave them my opinion and they read my comment on the air. The chat name thingy cut off my name so they call me "StopDrop" but anyways, the topic starts at 1:10:30.

Here's a link but I think you should find another service like iTunes because I can't get their player to scroll.

Funny, I was listening to OLR live at that time, and recall seeing the name "StopDrop" in chat and thinking it seemed familiar somehow. I usually don't actively talk in the chat, though.

Anyway, dunno if you have been listening to them for a while but if so they spoke with Mike in a live call a year or a few ago. I can't exactly remember the context of why - maybe it was for Retro magazine? In any case, if you haven't heard that episode then it might be worth listening to as well.

Edit: There are two episodes (one for Retro Year 1 and Year 2): OLR Episode 523 and Episode 572.

Edited by masteroftheclaw
  • Like 1

Edit: There are two episodes (one for Retro Year 1 and Year 2): OLR Episode 523 and Episode 572.

Thanks! I was looking for that! They kept mentioning whenever this came up that they had him on before but I could never figure out when that happened. I've been a loyal listener since all of last year but Sunday was the first time I participated in the chat. I love that podcast, I plan to actively participate regularly now.

• Like 1

The Gen2 Kickstarter didn't fail cause Mike was associated with it. It would have failed anyway regardless who had their names connected to it.

The Kickstarter failed cause they asked for a INSANE ammount of money to bring three Intelivision games to modern platforms in a remake form -- two of which already exist!

Indeed. Old fart programmers ask too much money, rely on laurels, and think they still "got it". Senility at its best! Remember that other famous guy asking a million bucks for some stupid game?

I'll sing the praises of present-day homebrewers instead!

• Like 2

I seem to recall someone saying back when the KS was live that it was Keith. However, since I can't recall where I heard that or who said it, I won't say for sure that's the right answer. Last thing I want to do is put words in Keith's mouth, since he's a stand up guy. Perhaps Paul would know, since he did talk to Keith a bit about the project. I certinaly hope it wasn't Mike. As we all know, he's never been a hardware of software guy and wouldn't know the first thing about how much that the games would cost to make or port. ;)

Neither Mike nor Keith had anything to do with the amount that was asked for in the Gen2 KS (they both thought it was too much). It was not a Retro or Intellivision Productions project. The Gen2 games were made by Realtime Associates. Mike's role was to assist them with the KS portion and setting things up for the promotional video - which he did.

Sent from my Intellivision ECS using Intelli-Tapatalk

Indeed. Old fart programmers ask too much money, rely on laurels, and think they still "got it". Senility at its best! Remember that other famous guy asking a million bucks for some stupid game?

I'll sing the praises of present-day homebrewers instead!

David Crane's Jungle Adventure was dissected on this forum a few years ago. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/201359-david-crane-jungle-adventure-kickstarter/

• Like 1

Also, if you guys remember the PICO-8, which is that fantasy retro console that only exists digitally and the creator commented on how he's basically already doing with the RVGS was trying to do and doesn't see why you need a physical console at all (see post here). Well, his console is actually going to get a physical release now!! .... sorta...

I got this update through the C.H.I.P. Kickstarter project I backed. It turns out every PocketCHIP will come with a free copy of PICO-8!! This is awesome! I was always wondering if I could turn a C.H.I.P. into a stand alone PICO-8 console, so I guess it is possible and I'm glad someone else did all the hard work for me! If anyone here was genuinely interested in what the Retro VGS was claiming to do, then I would strongly advise you to give this a look. Mike's dream has arrived (without Mike) ... SIMPLE AS THAT!!

https://youtu.be/W3qkdB5bzL

I think it's a perfect platform for the PICO-8, I can't wait!!

While I can see the appeal of a virtual console/enviroment where you can make your own thing on the go, that thing looks like a bulkier version of a Blackberry. There's no way that thing is in any way, shape, of form comfortable to use, let alone play video games with.

Might try the PICO-8 on its own, tho'. Looks rather interesting. Time to do some googling.

^ have you tried it before coming to your conclusion?

http://getchip.com/pages/pocketchip

They have eight games that are fully playable in browser on their webpage. You use the directional buttons and Z & X, to me they play just fine with a keyboard and I'm sure I'll enjoy them even more on a handheld with the control pad on the left side as I'm more used to. Also, it supports bluetooth so you can just use a controller or even take the CHIP out and connect it to your TV instead.

• Like 2

^ I almost purchased it, but I decided against it. I wanted to get the CHIP and PocketCHIP and cable and case, with shipping came to $80. Seems too much when you think about it. I was planning to use it as a C64 or Atari 800 emulator, but it looks like it's too slow. Too bad, because it would be perfect C64 portable.

• Like 1

Then he talks about another Kickstarter he's a part of - the Intellivision Gen2 campaign. That ended is disaster as well:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/756513245/intellivision-gen2-video-games-for-pc-and-mac

It's amazing looking back now that he had absolutely nothing and was talking out of the side of his mouth. But it's also interesting how many people believed every word - the hosts, the programmers, and MK even had Keith Robinson of Intellivision Productions fooled.

Oh god, I'd forgotten about that. I'm glad it failed because that looked so ugly and, honestly, who wanted this?

It reminds me of Retro Atari Classics for the DS

"3 graffiti legends tag 10 Atari classics" the box says. Why?!? How does one become a graffiti legend and why would anyone want Atari games with stupid graphics?

• Like 2

Also, it supports bluetooth so you can just use a controller or even take the CHIP out and connect it to your TV instead.

Oh! That changes everything then (I'm not being sarcastic). If I can use my own controller, I'm game! I'm too late for the kickstarter (obviously), but will try to get one if the reviews are positive, without a doubt.

At the 1:06:00 mark, MK spends an hour talking about all the great things he's doing with his hardware guys, all his advisers and how successful the VGS Kickstarter is going to be. Then he talks about another Kickstarter he's a part of - the Intellivision Gen2 campaign. That ended is disaster as well:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/756513245/intellivision-gen2-video-games-for-pc-and-mac

Wow. I apparently missed that one but holy cow that looks unprofessional! The games all look like something anyone with only the most rudimentary skills in Unity and Flash could cook up in no time at all.

Redacted. I am not surprised at all, given MK had his fingers in it.

• Like 1

Wow. I apparently missed that one but holy cow that looks unprofessional! The games all look like something anyone with only the most rudimentary skills in Unity and Flash could cook up in no time at all.

Redacted. I am not surprised at all, given MK had his fingers in it.

A goal of 100K selling three remade games at $5 each. They'd have to sell 6667 full sets to reach the target, and the games are probably not worth that much. What were they thinking?

I think the coleco chamelion could be the biggest BULLSHIT,because there were 2 FAKE. Prototypes, 1 was a atari jag case with a snes jr motherboard inside all taped together,the second one dit had the same case is the previouse one but this time it had a pc card inside it,all were again taped,also the designer behind these prototypes dit not responded to the public on face book,NOW it's possible that these 2 prototypes were just concept models or studie models of the chamelion console,and that a real prototype will just come but as of now,i got a bad feeling about it,also,thees the licensed new 32K expansion module for the original colecovision with new games designed for it , so it can make the chamelion in some way's become obsolete ,as why would coleco ever wants to focus on both the chamelion and the 32K module at the same time?? That will only cost them more money.

Anyway, who ever knows what will happen,maybe am wrong and maybe the chamelion will become reality some day.

So many of these retro-style cash grabs are low-effort things, too little and 30 years too late. Why bother with slightly less blocky "Shark Shark!" graphics when you can build on the concept by making a much deeper game that looks like this?

Also, not sure why I still check this thread all the time, it's a disgusting habit and I really should quit.

• Like 10

Also, not sure why I still check this thread all the time, it's a disgusting habit and I really should quit.

Flojomojo, you have been great through this whole ordeal and I've enjoyed reading your posts. I agree though that this thread for a time became a nasty addiction. I kicked the Chameleon habit slowly over a period starting a few weeks ago.

I gave up trying to follow this thing when I enrolled in a five week Industrial Readiness class at my local Community College, which I recently finished. Trying to find work is hard and when I do finally get a job, I'll barely have time for reading forums much less playing games. being unemployed was great help for becoming the third most prolific poster in this thread for a time. 've also rekindled my passion for playing with fractals, the render jobs of which can occasionally tie up my desktop for days. As a result fleeting interest and attempting to get my crap together, I've gotten 20+ pages behind and lost my desire to catch up. I kept telling myself I'll snuggle in bed one night with a mug of java for a marathon read on my Wii-U Gamepad, but I break.

Been great fun and I love you guys, but it's time for me to unsub to this thread sadly. :_(

• Like 4

Do what I do and check this thread only once a day. Great way of keeping the habit at bay AND having plenty of stuff to read. Makes the whole experience better -and funnier- if you ask me.

• Like 1

So many of these retro-style cash grabs are low-effort things, too little and 30 years too late.

There's also a bunch of free remakes available by somebody doing it for the lolz, or you could make your own with a gamemaker program.

On the other hand you could say the KS reflected that, with 7K raised total. That's probably more or less the market there is for it. They could have made the games anyway with that budget, but I guess they wpuld only bother if they have a guaranteed salary. Smells like the RVGS campaign...

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1