IGNORED

Fudge :) a kind of Romox system

mantadoc

Well, that looks like a fairly obsolete chip there. Before you can reprogram it appears you'll need to stick it under a UV lamp.

I'm wondering if there is a substitute modern EEPROM you could replace the chip with.

Do you have enough of these cartridges to make it worthwhile/viable?

Looks pretty cool though...

post-30998-0-81729800-1451181628.jpg

It really depends on whether or not the VPP and write enable are connected to the chip. If they are, you could focus an UV light on the window so as not to hit the rest of the board with hard UV radiation, erase the chip, and then reprogram it through your adapter. Otherwise, you'd need an UV box big enough to put the whole board into--and that might work OK for a one-time change, but over the long term it would probably be bad for the board. I sort of doubt the VPP will have a connection though--so you might have to run at least one flying wire to the chip.

You'd be better off socketing the EPROM and swapping out chips at need. . .

And we still use a LOT of this type of chips in the cartridge boards, Omega--they are nice and stable, and even better, relatively inexpensive. The flash chips on the UberGROM are plentiful because of a lucky accident (I found a bunch of them and bought them on speculation before I ever designed a board to use them). The flash variants of most of the DIP EPROMs are generally (but not always) more expensive.

You'd be better off socketing the EPROM and swapping out chips at need. . .

The flash chips on the UberGROM are plentiful because of a lucky accident (I found a bunch of them and bought them on speculation before I ever designed a board to use them).

I was thinking about socketing the EPROM as well, but since I had no idea how big is the case was, I had no clue if it would still fit.

I'm sure happy you gambled and got those little 49F040's in that 'lucky accident' :). I love the re-write characteristics of those little buggers and the price too! It's one of the many reasons I decided on the UberCART being my 'one and only' cartridge format.

On Xmas I read an old german mag, and they mentioned about Romox´ plan in the mid-80ies (1986?)

to have "public terminals" where you can go with your own "universal cartridge",

to buy (new) software and directly "upload" (burn) it on these terminals.

I think, this is that what you mean in general, MantaDoc, directly programming the cart.

imho. back in the days these terminals were a revolutionary idea.

The only way to program a chip for that cartridge board is to do it separately. With all of those pins tied together, there is no way to properly set the conditions to program it in-system, even with a set of IC clips.

You should probably carefully remove the chip and put a high-quality socket in its place.