IGNORED

1st Game - I Need some Help

Lewis2907

AA Team,

I did free up a lot of space thanks to RT told me about bank 8. He is my latest attempt. My hat is off to everyone who makes games. I thought it would be simple and quick. I have put in a lot of hours testing and trying to fix glitches to make it work better.

What works / plans to incorporate:

Tile screen. If you press the "Select" switch you start with 2 points. If you just go through the screens you start with 10 points. Plan to add the ability to use select if you want at any point before the game starts now that I have figured out how to use it. Would have used the Difficulty switch, but couldn't get it to work correctly.

Main City - Use the BW/COLOR to bring up your location any where you are in the game.

Select Switch - Changes your player color. As a kid I always wanted options and would play with the switches as someone else would be playing. Got the ideas from pulling up the map.

Game Reset Switch - Changes your player color to the previous color

There are some sound effects. Very simple in nature couldn't really figure out how to do background music, let alone make some of my own. I did get the sound I wanted from http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-music-toy.html

Airport - To access the plane and fly over the world you have to have 12 or more points to access it. This was a test as I plan to use this to "lock" the other levels that way you have a reason to score points. I maybe able to make a easy level and hard level based of if you start with 10 points (easy) or 2 points (hard). With this way to lock a level I maybe able to add a combo of the levels in bank 5 or 6 since I have space there. This would be random to keep the fun going. Need more though into this and where to place them. One you are in the plane I was able to get the scroll to slowdown some to simulate the sun setting/moving over the earth. I accidentally found that when I first started out playing with the scroll and color schemes.

Enter a room - Works now. There is a timer in the bottom right. If you find the ball you gain 3 points. if time runs out you loos 5 points. if you leave the room without finding the ball you loose 3 points. May add random ball lighting up to make it easier to find the ball.

Plan to add starting at a random place in the main map. Make the colors change randomly or on a timer. The timer would be better to make it seem likes it day then night in certain levels.

Hopefully I will be complete with this simple game and maybe move on to a harder game to make in a few days.

I do have a request. Does anyone know where you can find sample playfields or an easy way to use the ImgtoCode to create playfield from pictures etc.? Creating the playfields is very time consuming and a pain at times as your vision does not come out looking right or nowhere near right.

Hopefully all my posts help out another beginner like me.

As always I welcome comments, criticisms as I am trying to learn Batari better, thanks.

Save Earth - 11 Feb 16v1.txt

I do have a request. Does anyone know where you can find sample playfields or an easy way to use the ImgtoCode to create playfield from pictures etc.? Creating the playfields is very time consuming and a pain at times as your vision does not come out looking right or nowhere near right.

Have you been using Visual BB? Visual BB has a playfield tool that will allow you to see what your playfield looks like in the emulator. It still is a tedious process, especially if you're dealing with a large and colorful playfield.

I had the same problem when I wrote my game. I wound up making custom graph paper with Excel the resolution of the playfield. I then sketched on the graph paper what I wanted it to look like and transferred the coordinates to my code.

Not sure if this will help you, but this was what I did.

MK,

I was experimenting with excel. Was using X . With conditional statements to have a solid color. Then tried to transpose the data in wordpad. Worked somewhat but had a delimiter issue on spacing. So I put that one one the shelf until I have some time to play with it. If you have an example spreadsheet that world be great to look at and use.

Edited by Lewis2907

RT,

I have tried the image code. Works some what for me. Just was looking at some other alternatives or tips and tricks. Example I guess is not to use large graphics or extremely high resolution.

I was letting Mountain King know that you are using VbB since Image to Code is built into VbB.

I usually draw screens with the Playfield Editor.

AA Team,

I was wondering if someone could help me. Basically what I am trying to do is upgrade the game to DPC as it offers almost everything I am looking for except the restriction of the graphics bank. This would help me learn DPC better as it's my code per say as I understand how it works and flows. (could be improved upon) My plan is try an move what I have form the standard kernel over making adjustments. I did get the title screen to work and cut scenes, but after that it goes into a loop for the titles creen even though I tried to get it to go to to the next step. Not sure why it won't go at a minimum to room 10 and load the 2 sprites. I did a test of changing out the cut scene loop to display room 10. Any help would be greatly appreciated as you can see from the start of my post I have came a long way.

Save Earth - 15 Feb 16 - DPC+.txt

AA Team,

I have move this game over to DPC+ and is going well so far, but I do have 2 questions so far:

I am trying to use the "switchselect" to change player0 colors forwards and backwards:

For DPC+ I am using, but does not work correctly:

rem change the color of player0 using the select switch and go back using the game reset switch
if switchselect then z = z + $10
if switchreset then z = z - $10
p0colorh=z

I would like something like this that worked not using DPC+:

rem change the color of player0 using the select switch and go back using the game reset switch
COLUP0 = z + $08

The other question is how do you slow a sprite down, meaning my sprite in DPC+ moves fast. In the past I used:

dim p2pos=player2x.a

p2pos=p2pos+.5

Thanks for any help or examples someone may have.

AA Team,

I have move this game over to DPC+ and is going well so far, but I do have 2 questions so far:

I am trying to use the "switchselect" to change player0 colors forwards and backwards:

For DPC+ I am using, but does not work correctly:

p0colorh=z

I would like something like this that worked not using DPC+:

COLUP0 = z + $08

The other question is how do you slow a sprite down, meaning my sprite in DPC+ moves fast. In the past I used:

dim p2pos=player2x.a

p2pos=p2pos+.5

Thanks for any help or examples someone may have.

Reset should be used for restarting the game. This is how you use sprite colors with DPC+:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#dpc_sprite_colors

You could try something like this for a slower speed:

dim _P2_X = player2x.a

_P2_X = _P2_X + 0.05

RT,

I tried to implement what you did. I can get it to work in non DPC+. Below is what I am trying to get to slow down using fixed point math. I even tried including include fixed_point_math.asm to see if that would work.

if player6x < player5x then player6x = player6x - 1 : NUSIZ6{3} = 0
if player6x > player5x then player6x = player6x - 1 : NUSIZ6{3} = 1

For the Color change I was trying to do something like this below. I did try leaving "z" "[z]" no luck so far. Could do an if statement to change when the screen changes, but would like the option of the select switch to change colors. I will continue to Google and search the forum to see what I can find. Thanks for helping me with DPC+.

__Player0_Colors
player0color:
$86 + z
$86 + z
$86 + z
$86 + z
$86 + z
$86 + z
$86 + z
$86 + z
end
return

The other question is how or thought to have this scroll slower. I am looking at ex_dpcpfscroll_both_colors_with_asm_score by Grebnedlog. I think this may solve the color changes and scroll speed I am looking for.

rem scrolling backgoround

pfscroll 1

I have attached the source code to where I am in porting this over to DPC+. So far what works but needs to polished for a smother look.

36 rooms to drive around - has the same car chasing you and now 2 cops walking around. Plan to add another 1 or 2 people that if you hit or shoot them then you loose points. Would like to add a function to change vehicles/sprites. Kinda discussed in an earlier post.

Certain levels you can enter the house/blackout room (need to update locaitons on roads). Because I am using a sprite to hide the dot your are given a clue you are close as the "adventure light" flickers. Issue I am working to resolve is player5 and playfield collsion. May leave it as "enter at your own risk" - meaning you may or may not find the money. If you exit or time runs out you loos points. so you need to find the money. Still need to display the pfscore colors to show how much time is left.

The Airport which contains the level to fly above the earth is working somewhat. Hence the pfcroll 1 speed issue and not sure if you can scroll in 4 directions or not. Of not when I copied my sprites from the orginal code over to DPC they are upside down. Not sure what caused that.

The BW/Color switch brings up the map. May have a glitch as I am learning that pfclear or DFxFRACINC is more commonly used. After I port this game over to DPC+ I should have enough templates and code to make a better game for the one I have in mind.

Thanks to all who have helped learn how to navigate Batari Basic.

Save Earth - 18 Feb 16 - DPC+.txt

Edited by Lewis2907

RT,

I tried to implement what you did. I can get it to work in non DPC+. Below is what I am trying to get to slow down using fixed point math. I even tried including include fixed_point_math.asm to see if that would work.

if player6x < player5x then player6x = player6x - 1 : NUSIZ6{3} = 0

if player6x > player5x then player6x = player6x - 1 : NUSIZ6{3} = 1

You're not using fixed point math there. It would look more like this:

if _P6_X < _P5_X then _P6_X = _P6_X + 0.52 : NUSIZ6{3} = 0

if _P6_X > _P5_X then _P6_X = _P6_X - 0.52 : NUSIZ6{3} = 1

or

if _P6_X < _P5_X then _P6_X = _P6_X + 1.00 : NUSIZ6{3} = 0

if _P6_X > _P5_X then _P6_X = _P6_X - 1.00 : NUSIZ6{3} = 1

or

if _P6_X < _P5_X then _P6_X = _P6_X + 0.221 : NUSIZ6{3} = 0

if _P6_X > _P5_X then _P6_X = _P6_X - 0.221 : NUSIZ6{3} = 1

For the Color change I was trying to do something like this below. I did try leaving "z" "[z]" no luck so far. Could do an if statement to change when the screen changes, but would like the option of the select switch to change colors. I will continue to Google and search the forum to see what I can find. Thanks for helping me with DPC+.

__Player0_Colors

player0color:

$86 + z

$86 + z

$86 + z

$86 + z

$86 + z

$86 + z

$86 + z

$86 + z

end

return

As far as I know, you have to use numbers, not variables in the color data. I just made a little example program using the standard kernel that you can adapt for pretty much anything:

ex_select_switch_2016y_02m_18d_1315t.bin

ex_select_switch_2016y_02m_18d_1315t.bas

There is a multicolored sprite on the screen and pressing the select switch changes the sprite colors.

If you repeatedly press and let go of the select switch, you can change the colors as fast as you want. If you hold down the select switch, there is a half second delay. That's based on Atari's Game Standards and Procedures:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-standards-and-procedures.html#local_game_select

You're not using fixed point math there. It would look more like this:

if _P6_X < _P5_X then _P6_X = _P6_X + 0.52 : NUSIZ6{3} = 0

if _P6_X > _P5_X then _P6_X = _P6_X - 0.52 : NUSIZ6{3} = 1

or

if _P6_X < _P5_X then _P6_X = _P6_X + 1.00 : NUSIZ6{3} = 0

if _P6_X > _P5_X then _P6_X = _P6_X - 1.00 : NUSIZ6{3} = 1

or

if _P6_X < _P5_X then _P6_X = _P6_X + 0.221 : NUSIZ6{3} = 0

if _P6_X > _P5_X then _P6_X = _P6_X - 0.221 : NUSIZ6{3} = 1

As far as I know, you have to use numbers, not variables in the color data. I just made a little example program using the standard kernel that you can adapt for pretty much anything:

attachicon.gifex_select_switch_2016y_02m_18d_1315t.bin

attachicon.gifex_select_switch_2016y_02m_18d_1315t.bas

There is a multicolored sprite on the screen and pressing the select switch changes the sprite colors.

If you repeatedly press and let go of the select switch, you can change the colors as fast as you want. If you hold down the select switch, there is a half second delay. That's based on Atari's Game Standards and Procedures:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-standards-and-procedures.html#local_game_select

RT,

Thanks for the example code. I was able to implement it the way I want to in the program. Nice color scheme.

I tried to add the fixed math, but I get this error:

C:\Users\Lewis\Desktop\Atari2600\Save_Earth\bin\default.bas.asm (2807): error: Syntax Error '#0.221'.
C:\Users\Lewis\Desktop\Atari2600\Save_Earth\bin\default.bas.asm (2821): error: Syntax Error '#0.221'.

Any ideas or thoughts on DPC pfscroll. I am trying to emulate what is done in the normal kernel.

ex_dpcpfscroll_both_colors_with_asm_score by Grebnedlog. Has a scroll control per say. Still dissecting this to see if I can incorporate it into the "Air Battle" portion.

So far I am using the below. It scrolls really fast and takes a long time to return. From what I found you can scroll up and down. Not sure about left to right.

rem scrolling background
pfscroll 1

Thanks for helping with DPC+

Save Earth - 19 Feb 16 - DPC+ (fixed math not working).txt

You were reusing some variables in your dims, so that's probably why it wasn't working. You also had end commands sprinkled throughout your code for some strange reason. I can't find anymore stray ends, but bblint claims there is an extra one in there somewhere. Although there is supposedly one stray end, this will compile:

save_earth_2016y_02m_19d_1249t.bas

You might want to look at this section of the bB page:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#end

RT.

Thanks for the fixes. I noticed you moved the "dim" to bank 1. I thought they would use up space from the bank. I see now that it's only it you have code. Hence the reason I was putting dims in another bank. I also see where you cleaned up the variables. Makes more sense now. I was getting better at it compared to a few weeks ago. I think I have it now. My goal is to finish this up before I redeploy back to the US next month.Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Lewis2907

AA Team,

Can you have Data in multiple banks in DPC+.

Bank 2

rem set up rooms calculations - 36 rooms and 15 shapes
data room_shape
10,6,8,13,8,14,9,5,3,0,10,9,4,1,0,0,6,5,8,10,15,5,10,9,7,0,3,3,0,2,5,1,7,12,5,13
end

data move_north
11,10,9,8,7,6,17,166,15,14,13,12,23,22,21,20,19,18,29,28,27,26,25,24,35,34,33,32,31,30,0,0,0,0,0,0
end

data move_east
1,2,3,4,5,0,0,6,7,8,9,10,13,14,15,16,17,0,0,18,19,20,21,22,25,26,27,28,29,0,0,30,31,32,33,34
end

data move_south
0,0,0,0,0,0,5,4,3,2,1,0,11,10,9,8,7,6,17,16,15,14,13,12,23,22,21,20,19,18,29,28,27,26,25,24
end

data move_west
0,0,1,2,3,4,7,8,9,10,11,0,0,12,13,14,15,16,19,20,21,22,23,0,0,24,25,26,27,28,31,32,33,34,35,0
end

Bank 3

rem set up rooms calculations - 64 rooms and same 15 shapes (rearranged)

data .......

end

and so on.

I was trying this had it sort of working, but couldn't quite get it to work right. My thought is if you can accomplish this it may be possible to simulate different worlds in a RPG type game that I am going to attempt.

For DPC+ pfscroll 1 is there any way to slow down the scroll speed and have it come back around.

Are there any simple example of background music? I have seen some here and there the problem I ran into is trying to incorporate it into the program. Or how to add better sound effects?

Otherwise I'm almost complete with the game upgrade to DPC+ thanks to the help of RT and others.

Can you have Data in multiple banks in DPC+.

Check out the "Did You Know?" box here:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#dataarrays

For DPC+ pfscroll 1 is there any way to slow down the scroll speed and have it come back around.

You could try playing around with this example program to see what is and isn't possible:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#ex_dpc_scroll

I haven't used the DPC+ kernel enough to know much about it.

Are there any simple example of background music? I have seen some here and there the problem I ran into is trying to incorporate it into the program. Or how to add better sound effects?

I recently added a background music example program to the bB page:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#ex_sound_with_bg_music

It's as simple as I could make it.

RT,

Thanks for the tips. I think I need to use sdata for my next game as I will go over 255 bytes of data. Unless I can clear the ROM for data at the start of each bank to keep using data what i'm use to now. I will look at background music again and play with it to see how to incorporate it correctly.

I did play with the slow scrolling. it scrolls slow up based upon movement. Is there a way to make it scroll down? I was trying (will continue to work) using what I did for the game over screen. Not sure if anyone else has tried this. I know you said your were still not as versed with the DPC+ as the normal kernels.

rem scrolling backgoround ***WIP to fix scroll speed***
if !joy0up then goto __Skip_up
_Scroll_Control = _Scroll_Control + 0.5
if _Scroll_Control > 1 then pfscroll 1: _Scroll_Control = 0
__Skip_up

if !joy0down then goto __Skip_down

DF0FRACINC = _Frame + 48
DF1FRACINC = _Frame + 48
DF2FRACINC = _Frame + 48
DF3FRACINC = _Frame + 48
drawscreen
_Frame = _Frame - 1
if _Frame = 0 then _Frame=75
__Skip_down

Thanks again for your help. Otherwise I am almost done with port this over to DPC+.

Is there a way to make it scroll down?

This is what it says on the bB page:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#dpc_pfscroll

The playfield strips are 256 bytes in size, so if you want to scroll down, use "pfscroll 255" to scroll down by 1, "pfscroll 254" to scroll down by 2, and so on.

AA Team,

Here is an update to the game port to DPC+. Needs testing to make sure. I did test most of it.

What works:

1. Title screen / Game over / Cut scene have been updated. Let the Shadow Merc sit a few seconds and the eyes blink. Use the select button during the title to start of the game to start with 4 points instead of 13. (Glitch - should start at 2 points or initial 5)

2. You will start in a random part of the city. Use the BW/COLOR switch to bring up your location on the map. There is still the car that chases you but also two people walking around, beware one walks faster than the other. (36 Rooms)

4. You can enter the rooms. There are five random rooms. Enter at own risk if times runs out or you can't find the ball of money you loose points. The adventure light will blink when your are on the X Axis as the ball, but the ball maybe in the playfield. (could implement a collision detection, but not enough space left). (5 Rooms)

3. Earth level scrolls north and south slowly. Go to the right when you find the Airport looking room to access Earth. (Not sure how to scroll left / right if even possible). (1 Level only)

4. the bottom of the main Maps (Left / Eight) are the access points to the Canal level. In here the Squid is there along with two swimmers. From the Canal you can access the Sub level about halfway through the Canal at the bottom. (6 Rooms)

5. The Sub has the Squid, Swimmers and Shark. Enter and Exit the same way you came in. (3 Rooms)

6. The Canal leads to the Motorcycle and Helicopter levels (6 Rooms respectively). They both lead to the Cave level (6 Rooms)

7. Total Rooms - 69 Rooms. (might be able to add cleaner rooms as there is 322 bytes left in the graphics bank)

8. Future WIP. In the Black Out room get the pfscorcolor to work/show. Probably an easy fix, but couldn't find any examples.

9. Clean the code up some more and use "__Common" more often to save space. Got it to work, but will take some time to clean up more space.

10. Have a score in place to access other levels, need more space. Also fix code if score is less than "0" to go to game over screen.

12. probably not enough space even after clean up for better sound / music.

13. I have attached the original attempt 4 Jan 16 (barley working game) , 13 Feb 16 (working game) and the DPC+ attempt 25 Feb 16 (working game) to let other compare the differences in the kernels. I had to learn a lot to get it work.

I hope this helps others who are learning Batari Basic like I am. Special thanks to RT and Mountain King for their tips on programming along with the other I borrowed code from. My goal was to compile what I call the "great Examples" into a game. Now I am going to attempt the other stuff I have always wanted to see on the Atari 2600.

Save Earth - 25 Feb 16 - DPC+.txt

Save Earth - 13 Feb 16v1.txt

Save Earth Level 2 - 4 Jan 16.txt

• 5 months later...

AA Team,

Here is an update to the game port to DPC+. Needs testing to make sure. I did test most of it.

What works:

1. Title screen / Game over / Cut scene have been updated. Let the Shadow Merc sit a few seconds and the eyes blink. Use the select button during the title to start of the game to start with 4 points instead of 13. (Glitch - should start at 2 points or initial 5)

2. You will start in a random part of the city. Use the BW/COLOR switch to bring up your location on the map. There is still the car that chases you but also two people walking around, beware one walks faster than the other. (36 Rooms)

4. You can enter the rooms. There are five random rooms. Enter at own risk if times runs out or you can't find the ball of money you loose points. The adventure light will blink when your are on the X Axis as the ball, but the ball maybe in the playfield. (could implement a collision detection, but not enough space left). (5 Rooms)

3. Earth level scrolls north and south slowly. Go to the right when you find the Airport looking room to access Earth. (Not sure how to scroll left / right if even possible). (1 Level only)

4. the bottom of the main Maps (Left / Eight) are the access points to the Canal level. In here the Squid is there along with two swimmers. From the Canal you can access the Sub level about halfway through the Canal at the bottom. (6 Rooms)

5. The Sub has the Squid, Swimmers and Shark. Enter and Exit the same way you came in. (3 Rooms)

6. The Canal leads to the Motorcycle and Helicopter levels (6 Rooms respectively). They both lead to the Cave level (6 Rooms)

7. Total Rooms - 69 Rooms. (might be able to add cleaner rooms as there is 322 bytes left in the graphics bank)

8. Future WIP. In the Black Out room get the pfscorcolor to work/show. Probably an easy fix, but couldn't find any examples.

9. Clean the code up some more and use "__Common" more often to save space. Got it to work, but will take some time to clean up more space.

10. Have a score in place to access other levels, need more space. Also fix code if score is less than "0" to go to game over screen.

12. probably not enough space even after clean up for better sound / music.

13. I have attached the original attempt 4 Jan 16 (barley working game) , 13 Feb 16 (working game) and the DPC+ attempt 25 Feb 16 (working game) to let other compare the differences in the kernels. I had to learn a lot to get it work.

I hope this helps others who are learning Batari Basic like I am. Special thanks to RT and Mountain King for their tips on programming along with the other I borrowed code from. My goal was to compile what I call the "great Examples" into a game. Now I am going to attempt the other stuff I have always wanted to see on the Atari 2600.

AA Team,

I'm back per say from another long deployment. I had some time to try and finish this game that I compiled from the stuff I found here at BB. The DPC 25 Feb 16 version has some issues. But this version is playable. I may continue to play with and polish it up, but I think I learned almost enough to make a game on my own per say.

Save Earth -17 Aug 16 - DPC+.txt

AA Team,

I'm back per say from another long deployment. I had some time to try and finish this game that I compiled from the stuff I found here at BB. The DPC 25 Feb 16 version has some issues. But this version is playable. I may continue to play with and polish it up, but I think I learned almost enough to make a game on my own per say.

If you get a chance, you might want to post a .bin file so people who don't use batari Basic can try it.

• Like 1

RT / Anyone

I did play with the code some more. I can get it to work in BB but the .bin doesn't work in Javatari. The only thing I can think of is that I am very low in bytes of ROM. Especially Bank 6. I will play around with it some more. It could be my settings. I am using a new laptop I bought.

default.bas.bin

Save Earth - 22 Aug 16 - DPC+.txt