IGNORED

Classic Game Room moving to Patreon

BillyHW

A lot of podcasters use Patreon....after all, hosting costs can be expensive, and they say something 'if you enjoy the show and would like to help out, please consider backing our Patreon as it helps defray our costs, allows us to do more, etc. if you can't support, thank you for listening anyway'. I do about $10 a month on Patreon for various podcasts.

• Like 2

A lot of podcasters use Patreon....after all, hosting costs can be expensive, and they say something 'if you enjoy the show and would like to help out, please consider backing our Patreon as it helps defray our costs, allows us to do more, etc. if you can't support, thank you for listening anyway'. I do about $10 a month on Patreon for various podcasts.

Being a podcaster is tough. Not only is there really no way to make a little bit of money at it (like adsense revenue on YouTube) but you have to actually pay to host your shows somewhere. I don't make that much money on YouTube, but it's enough to pay for buying the occasional game or piece of recording/production equipment. Which is good enough for me, since it's just a hobby. Most people don't have hobbies that at least have the potential to pay for themselves.

As to the whole "hipster welfare" and "begging for handouts" thing, I think that Patreon gets kind of a negative reputation among a lot of people (including myself) because most of the people asking for money using it have no business asking for money. Mark is a proven content creator and a professional film maker. My earlier comments in this thread still stand, but frankly he has the credibility as a content creator to ask his fans for money to keep the show going. But I see people on YouTube who don't even have 100 subscribers, who have their Patreon link at the top of every video description, and are making $2 per month from it. It's certainly their right to do so, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• Like 2

Don't iTunes, YouTube, or SoundCast offer free podcast hosting?

I agree that Patreon works if you already have an established, loyal, audience who think you are creating something worthwhile. It's not going to work for someone just starting out, and in that case it can often come across as pathetic and silly.

If you're not a regular content creator or do not have a loyal audience, you should just have a tip jar (paypal or something), bitcoin jar, or nothing at all.

Edited by BillyHW

Don't iTunes, YouTube, or SoundCast offer free podcast hosting?

I agree that Patreon works if you already have an established, loyal, audience who think you are creating something worthwhile. It's not going to work for someone just starting out, and in that case it can often come across as pathetic and silly.

If you're not a regular content creator or do not have a loyal audience, you should just have a tip jar (paypal or something), bitcoin jar, or nothing at all.

You can upload your podcasts to YouTube, sure. But people would have to use YouTube to watch/listen to them. iTunes does not do any kind of hosting. You have to upload your show somewhere and then when someone "downloads" or plays it through iTunes, they're really getting the data from wherever the content creator uploaded it. iTunes is really just a gateway. It makes sense because iTunes makes no money from podcasters, so to host the shows themselves would be a huge expense with no upside.

Soundcloud has a free hosting option, but it's severely limited. Hosting a podcast isn't particularly expensive or anything, but you do have to pay something, and as I said before, there is no easy way to create revenue from it.

The Completely Unnecessary Podcast by Pat the NES Punk generates revenue by slicing it up into topics and posting the topic, complete with video of the commentators on YouTube. Considering that Pat quit his day job three years ago, he must be able to make something off it.

https://www.patreon.com/patcontri?ty=h

His patreond doesn't make much, but it's not a monthly contribution, it's a contribution for each larger Video he makes. So yeah, he does what he can to earn some Money. Also accepts pay pal donations and sells stuff on his Website.

edit: I just saw Pat also made 140k on Kickstarter to make a book reviewing every NES game. So that Project will probably take a couple years of hard work.

Edited by leods

https://www.patreon.com/patcontri?ty=h

His patreond doesn't make much, but it's not a monthly contribution, it's a contribution for each larger Video he makes. So yeah, he does what he can to earn some Money. Also accepts pay pal donations and sells stuff on his Website.

edit: I just saw Pat also made 140k on Kickstarter to make a book reviewing every NES game. So that Project will probably take a couple years of hard work.

*Every* game? Is that even possible?

*Every* game? Is that even possible?

Well, not all. "Ultimate Nintendo: Guide to the NES Library is a 450 page hardcover book that reviews over 750 8-bit Nintendo games released 1985-1995!"

"This 450 page book covers all licensed and unlicensed games released during the system's lifespan, and features information and reviews on hundreds of classic (and not so classic) 8-bit games."

So everything up to 1995.

But I was taking a look, and from what I understand the book is pretty much finished. So he actually did the work beforehand. So yeah, you can say he has a Job.

Just like Mark, Pat is a guy who's a "YouTube celebrity", but not just some random guy who records some gameplay. He actually makes Content. And e-begs on Patreon if that's how you see it.

Classic Game Room is just a few dollars away from the next goal (Full-Time, $10,000).

https://www.patreon.com/ClassicGameRoom?ty=h

That being said, I still think he needs to reach the third goal (Truxton, $15,000) to remain viable as a full-time operation over the long haul. Though he should certainly be okay as a part-time gig now.

Still, this is good news.

Edited by BillyHW
  • Like 1

Classic Game Room is just a few dollars away from the next goal (Full-Time, $10,000).

https://www.patreon.com/ClassicGameRoom?ty=h

That being said, I still think he needs to reach the third goal (Truxton, $15,000) to remain viable as a full-time operation over the long haul. Though he should certainly be okay as a part-time gig now.

Still, this is good news.

He made it! Business as Usual! Truxton daily! Chainsaws, flamethrowers, and giant bugs! Woo hoo!

Asking for money on Patreon is totally okay in my opinion. Let them get some money for what they do - and every donator is free to choose which content deserves money or not. I myself support a few other shows, but only via single PayPal donations, not by subscriptions. One is MrDeity on Youtube, the other is Stay Forever, a great german-language Retro game podcast by two former gaming journalists.

Who knows how long-lived an institution like Patreon will be. It may well turn out that way too many of the instant supporters never pay a dime - or only once or twice, then unsub. Internet bubbles do as internet bubbles do. Burst sooner or later.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'm gonna throw in something here. The reason Mark is so popular with the late-20s millennials is quite simple: He gives context to the games at their release. Yes, this may be boring as hell to those who are pushing 50, who lived the 70s and 80s and find his reviews just more of the same. But for those that didn't get to live the golden age of videogames, Mark provides a bit of a look-in. He refuses to "evolve" his videos because, well, YouTube's idea of evolved game review is:

:woozy:

And yes I understand that Mark's reviews may be boring or have dry humor, but I'd rather have honesty than screaming "personalities" with randomly dyed hair screaming at terribly made games on cue, simply because it rolls in the cash.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Wow, didn't knew that there are Classic Haters Room here on AtariAge. No offense, but some comments here looks like that Mark have stolen money from them, just by mentioning Patreon platform. Like, what's wrong with you people? You're all grown, don't you know that work cost? Every kind of work cost time and money. What, you wanted to be all YouTube videos for free, well, it's free, watch whatever you want to, but remember that every video is costs, and if this is some kind of review or research topic video, it's costs by all matters. It's not a dreamworld, it's life, if you want to live by making videos on YouTube, you need to work on that, it can't be easy way hobby, you NEED to work. That's exactly what's Mark is doing, even if you and he thinks that's hobby, but no, it's not. Look at Felix-number-one, he is also works on video, even if you don't like what he is doing, it's still a job, 'cause he works on videos. Just like any other YouTuber, who wants put quality stuff and have a great outcome on that.

I don't see a problem with giving money for stuff you want. Isn't that how life works? However, this is an entertainment and it's works different. It has it's risks just like any other media. Just look at any top 20 YouTube channels. This is business and tough stuff, there is no hobby, you think people in Hollywood also consider their work as hobby? (Maybe there are some, but it's crazy world, what you gonna do). I know that Mark isn't in top 20 (but it's better be), however there are things that fun and worth spending time and money on.

With that being said, I wonder if Mark still gets stuff from supporters (the reason why I come here in the first place), if so, what the address, where do I send stuff? I've sent stuff before, but I've lost address ... =\

Edited by Deep_wolf
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...

If you watch his recent reviews, you can't avoid noticing that he seems to produce them in much more confined spaces than he used to. Basically, his appartment. What happened there? Did all the Patreon and YT ad revenue not suffice to hold on to his Space Arcade? There probably is an explanation, maybe even by himself. But usually I don't watch his channel update videos. So if someone could enlighten me, that would be sweet.

Edited by karokoenig

I supported mark in the beginning , but after seeing him make over 8k a month plus his easily 3-4K a month YouTube revenue I'd rather give my money to the retro league. Marks a great guy and all, but that's way more than I make working a real job 100+ hours every 2 weeks.

I personally would never even consider quitting my job to make $12k per month on YouTube. $12k per month in gross revenue for a sole-proprietor small business does not make that proprietor a rich man.

• Like 3

If you watch his recent reviews, you can't avoid noticing that he seems to produce them in much more confined spaces than he used to. Basically, his appartment. What happened there? Did all the Patreon and YT ad revenue not suffice to hold on to his Space Arcade? There probably is an explanation, maybe even by himself. But usually I don't watch his channel update videos. So if someone could enlighten me, that would be sweet.

Yes, he had to move into a smaller Space Arcade. The big one was costing him too many Quatloos. He's in the process of setting up the new one in a smaller space, but he still has the arcade games et al.