IGNORED

Stubborn Broken Intellivision

HunterZero

Hi tech heads, Happy new year!

Can anyone give me suggestions on what else to try to repair logic on a recalcitrant Intellivision that doesn't want to start?

Symptom: Solid dark green screen when turning it on. Does not respond to reset button except with the faintest of flicker.

It is a PAL unit with the daughterboard in place of the colour chip.

* Cleaned cart connector

* Power supply checks out

* Reset circuit checks out

* Cleaned sockets

* Reseated socketed chips, then and replaced all socketed chips with spares

* Replaced driver transistors

* Replaced C26 (the one near the reset switch)

* Replaced C40

No change.

I have no oscilloscope, but have acquired a logic probe, and wanted to check if the crystals are good, and to check if certain pins are strobing to see if the unit is actually clocking/running.

I am wondering if there's a bad socket on this board but it visually checks out.

I've never used a probe before, can anyone here give me some direction on the best way to hook it up, and what pins to test to check the crystals and CPU and video signals?

Thanks!

- James

I think many of us are sitting on spare units that have similar issues.

I have one unit that doesn't boot, and a couple units that go bad after a few seconds/minutes of play.

Until recently the prices on eBay were low enough that it was easier to buy another unit than spend time and effort on troubleshooting.

That is changing. Pricing for replacement units is going higher. I may need to look into my defective guys before long, too.

• 2 weeks later...

A plain "green" screen seems like a hint that the EXEC is able to do something, but it's not reading the cart correctly. (I put "green" in quotes, with the hope it's really that olive color that the Intellivision documentation (including GI datasheets) insists is brown.)

You might check that the 74LS86 chip is doing OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced that 0.1uF C9 cap next to the STIC and she fired right up! The cap was blown completely, it was covered in mucky glue. When I peeled the glue back with some heat it revealed a shattered mess inside, the cap split in 2. Could not see the damage until I removed the glue.

glad you found it. And yeah trying to trouble shoot something like that can be a real pain. Not sure if you have an esr meter to even be able to test it. Or if an esr meter can read something that small.
  • Like 1

It's a relief to have it working again - I don't know about having patience, the mere fact it was broken was driving me nuts!

The Mattel worker who covered that board in horrible brown glue needs to be shot. It completely covered the capacitor that failed. I found the bad cap by testing it from the back of the board, then digging it out of the glue. It looked intact, but had black stuff all around it which was a dead give away it was blown. When I tried to clear some of the glue away the capacitor just snapped in half.

- J

glad you found it. And yeah trying to trouble shoot something like that can be a real pain. Not sure if you have an esr meter to even be able to test it. Or if an esr meter can read something that small.

I don't have an ESR meter, my multimeter only has a basic capacitance setting. With the rate of blown capacitors causing these old electronics to fail, it's probably worth it having a quality dedicated ESR/capacitance meter.

• 3 weeks later...

So this is the horrible mess of glue that hid the blown capacitor, with the repair...

received_10153705934445910.jpeg

The broken bit...

20160203_151605.jpg

Testing repair!

received_10153676714890910.jpeg

Buttoned up again...

received_10153676719535910.jpeg

Game on!

received_10153676722350910.jpeg FB_IMG_1455850631163.jpg

im not familiar with all the intellivision games, what is the wolfenstein 3d looking one?

cloudy mountain wasnt my kind of game but i will check this one out.

What's not to like about Cloudy Mountain? It's one of the best action games on the system.

Tarmin is much slower, almost strategic. The monsters don't move so you need to decide if you are able to take on monsters and try to become strong enough to continue to survive. If you go down levels too quick the monsters will be too hard and you will get stuck.

There is some timing to combat, eg getting the first hit in, but otherwise it's turn based.

I like how strategic and considered the game is, as well as the atmosphere.

- J

I played some Cloudy Mountain for the first time in a long, long time testing out the Dual Action controller from nurmix. Must have played the toughest level -- dragons whipped me bad. With some practice and that controller, "run and gun" is a lot more doable -- though I find myself using up arrows a lot faster. ;)

Tarmin is quite a game. Found it helpful to map out the levels. There are some techniques you can use to build your stats more quickly, too. Funny... In modern MMOs players go "grind" to gain levels -- I think that Tarmin was the first time I ever did that -- without knowing what it was. Krikey -- it was 1983! Had stat grinding been invented yet? :P