IGNORED

Next "arcadify" suggestion: Jungle Hunt to Jungle King :)

Level42

On 1/7/2016 at 11:15 AM, Rybags said:

I just got a reply email from Sal - he's OK with me publicising his musical work which went into this.

So, here's the March 2011 build of Jungle Hunt Arcade. Still a fair bit of work needed, some current issues:

- still glitches in player due to the way the rendering can be out of sync with colour map movements.

- annoying delay after initial startup music (this time discrepancy could be used to insert the Tarzan yell).

- end all levels music starts again while end sequence running.

- periodic alligator coloured glitches appear in river level, AFAIK don't cause collision with player.

- breathing sfx persists in river level when you dive.

- some sound effects missing. Short music piece @ end of river level needs to be changed.

- no title screen yet.

- probably plenty more.

Extra Improvements (just listing the not so obvious stuff)

- For NTSC especially, the screen kernal improvements mean CPU time freed up so less annoying game slowdown.

- Actual game font ripped from the arcade game and used. I think I got the lower case chrs elsewhere or made them myself (can't remember, might have ripped from an Adventure International game).

Press fire to bypass the intro text. Ensure Basic is disabled on your emulation or real machine. 48K Ram required. Should be loadable from Dos.

Jungle15.xex 23.58 kB · 514 downloads

For an awesome version, deserves a great game play.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I made a little investigation inside the rom (with hackomatic),

and its looking quite straightforward to replace the explorer with Tarzan, even the colors are more than enough to make it right..

the down side is that the color layers are not where I need them.. and I have no clue how to adjust them.

So unless a coder gets involved, its a dead end for me  😐

image.png.c012bf89d87b4ae67323d5ac9216d331.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

There's a DLI/kernal that changes the colours.  From memory the original game used the single routine with various branches depending on what level you were on.

I'm fairly sure the change I made gave each level a unique DLI to help with game speedup.

By referring to the DLIs it should be fairly simple to deduce where colour change occurs.

Not sure if it would be straightforward to change to Tarzan.  The required change sequence looks similar so it might be easy.

• Thanks 1