IGNORED

Amazing TRUTHS about the TI-99/4A (add your own)

Omega-TI

Yeah, yeah... all vintage and classic computers boot faster than modern. They say it's because we "need" all the crap that gets loaded today. Pfft. I hardly need any of the bloat. Even tablets are a joke that way. In fact, the boot time on my iPad is so long, that I just leave the damned thing on or in sleep mode when not using. Never fully shut it down.

Of all the computers I've owned that load their OS's from FDD or HDD, the Amiga still impresses me most with its super quick boot time. Have an A2000 with CD and a SCSI HD that boots OS3.1 in about 17 seconds from a cold start. 12 seconds warm. ;)

• Like 2

If you want "piss poor". look no further than the Xbox one, this could end up as my most regrettable purchases ever, the way this machine runs software (even when you have the original disk) is diabolical.

If I was forced to take either a ti99/4a or an Xbox one to a deserted island.

It would of course be the 4a.

I would not even rip the innards from the Xbox one to use the case as a makeshift toilet.

• Like 2

#2: The beige version of the TI-99 never made it to Europe.

#3: The TI Basic for the TI-99/4 was against all rumours developed by TI in house. Microsoft was NOT involved. Microsoft was contracted to develop Basic for the TI-99/7 (internal name SR-70) [this is from a not yet released interview with one of the original 99/4 engineers].

#4: Those who gave away their TI-99 setup are regretting it at some point.

#5: Hardware projects (Ram, Rs232, Peb, ...) have been that popular in Europe because the original Hardware by TI was hardly available to order.

#6: Extended Basic was originally called "Product 359 Basic" and TI specifications go back to January 1979.

#7: Somehow the TI-99 gives its users a feeling that is not there on a Windows computer, it is almost like the TI-99 has a soul. Maybe it's the forced combination of the Hardware to the System Rom. Or the TI Hardware is felt as the only gateway to a certain range of Software. Since the system software was only available on the TI-99. ANd there was no other OS for the TI-99, if you leave out the p-system and opa. For a Windows Pc you can have any hardware, and two Pc Users meeting only share a part of their software, not Hardware+Software. So it's much less of a shared experience. I think that is why there will never ever be a Usergroup for a certain Pc model, because they are all interchangable.

• Like 1

The Source code of RXB is from TI original XB code from TI I bought and right at top is Product 359 in the comment source code.

And I told everyone that Microsoft did not write TI Basic as much of the code looks exactly like XB type code also done in house.

Edited by RXB
  • Like 2

My console used to freeze a ton (probably from heat) when programming XB. The ones I have now don't.

My console often froze because of contact issues in the cartridge port, despite all attempts to clean it. Extended Basic became particularly unstable.

I just can't describe what a great relief the Geneve meant for me, concerning this nuisance, so once I had it running, I never used a TI console anymore.