IGNORED

Genesis - Water Margin and Duke Nukem

Sapicco

• 1 year later...

Duke Nukem is pretty crap. It's neat as a novelty, but you are better off checking out Zero Tolerance, or grabbing the ROM for the Genesis conversion of Wolfenstein 3D.

So i have been TRYING to get into Duke Nukem lately and all I can say is "what the hell!" lol

The game looks good. It's amazing it can be done on genesis really and looks much better than Doom or Wolf 3D on SNES.

Is sounds good. Rocking rock tunes complete the look/feel.

The controls are good, It has a one button strafe, uses the six button controller to add map or switch weapons, etc.

What kills it for me is the difficulty. I can't even get past the first level on "super easy" after an hour of trying. The first enemy you encounter can take up to 50-80 percent of your life with a few hits. There is sparse ammo and I have yet to find health.

Why did they take this game, which could have been epic, and make it unplayable? Anyone else feel frustrated by this title?

Have a nice shiny copy from Piko Interactive on my shelf (great production quality other than some creases in the label); but thinking of throwing it on eBay because I don't have space for novelties on my shelf.

I echo those above comments on Duke Nukem - It's interesting as a collector piece for what the Genesis could do, but not terribly fun.

Water Margin is a pretty fun game. If you like Golden Axe, you'll enjoy it. All the Piko games I have seem to fit really tight into my system however.

I echo those above comments on Duke Nukem - It's interesting as a collector piece for what the Genesis could do, but not terribly fun.

Water Margin is a pretty fun game. If you like Golden Axe, you'll enjoy it. All the Piko games I have seem to fit really tight into my system however.

Is Water Margin available anywhere still? I love Golden Axe!

I just received Water Margin and Iron Commando from Piko the other day. I agree that Water Margin is a lot of fun and plays very similar to Knights of the Round from Capcom. The bosses can be a pain as that is where I lose most of my life while playing. But like was mentioned, it did take a firm push down to get the cart to fit into my 32x. At first I thought something was wrong with my cart since it wouldn't come up. But then I took it back out, and pressed it back down and it seemed to finally pop in. I have to check and see if the PCB thickness is the issue, or the cart shells. If it is the cart shells, then I will pop it open and place it into a spare genesis shell I have laying around and then find someone to make a new label for it.

That is problem number 2 with Water Margin, is that the label isn't a standard genesis label and on my cart, it doesn't stick down well on the end...