IGNORED

Problem with a PC, hard drives won't work

IceCold

Okay, I'm having a major problem with the PC I'm putting in my arcade cabinet(for MAME). I can get it to turn on and everything, and recognize my hard drives, cd-rom drives, etc. But whenever I use a bootdisk, my hard drives do not work. It says something like 'not a valid drive name' or something like that. I can get one hard drive to be recognized after using a boot disk, but it's the only one. I even have another drive that's the same exact model, and it WON'T get recognized :x

Any idea of what the problem is? :?

whenever I use a bootdisk, my hard drives do not work.

Any idea of what the problem is?  :?

What's OS is on the boot disk and what file system are the hard drives? My guess is you have NTFS or some other format unfriendly to the boot disk you are using.

whenever I use a bootdisk, my hard drives do not work.

Any idea of what the problem is?  :?

What's OS is on the boot disk and what file system are the hard drives? My guess is you have NTFS or some other format unfriendly to the boot disk you are using.

I think the boot disk is windows 95. Maybe I'll go ahead and try a win98se bootdisk or something. Although I'm pretty sure the drives are formatted fat32...

I'm almost sure that if you have a win95 boot disk and fat32 formatted drives you will not see the fat32 drives, I believe win95 was simply FAT! :)

Vardelith

Depends on what version. I'm certain that Windows 95b will read FAT32. Windows 95a on the other hand... Not sure.

• 2 months later...

If the hard drives are in NTFS then you will need to fdisk into 32bit fat format for the win95b boot disk to properly recognize the drives.

But there is one other thing it could also be, and that is the drives both ahave a boot loader on the HDD and if you boot to a floppy first then the drives will not be recognized as having been fdisked.

I honestly don't know what the problem was. What I ended up doing was pulling a hard drive out of this old pentium 133mhz PC that I got at a thrift store, and hooked it up to this computer. The hard drive had windows 95 on it, so i booted that. And that's what I'm using right now. I tried rebooting with a windows xp disk in it, but it freezes before I get the chance to install :?

Windows XP is real picky on what hardware it will install with not to mention if you tried to install over the 95, XP will not upgrade a 95 machine to XP it will upgrade a 98 and about machine. But with all of the Hardware issues on XP and the fact that it dramatically slows any machine down (hence the need for such a high speed machine) I personally will never go to it.

Archived