IGNORED

Imagic collector's question

MegaManFan

When is a collection "complete?" Ask a bunch of collectors, and you'll get a bunch of answers. Technically speaking, anything that exists, is known to have existed at one time or is even rumored to have existed can be collected. What makes a collection complete, then, depends on how you personally decide to define it.

"I have ALL the Imagic games that were commercially produced and released in North America!" one collector boasts, proud of his complete collection.

"Oh, yeah?" counters another, "I have all of those, too, plus all of the PAL releases. That makes my collection complete-er than yours."

"Well, I have everything you have, but all of mine are CIB and include autographs and DNA samples from the programmers who wrote them," brags yet another.

Another collector will have all the prototypes. Then there'll be another guy who collects ROM revisions of the prototypes. And just when you think you've got it all, someone who's had it all for a lot longer than you have will hunt down an ex-employee of Imagic and offer him a suitcase full of cash to rummage through the moldering boxes of notebooks in the back of his garage. Then, a miracle happens! A half-dozen lines of 6502 code that were scribbled on the back of a pizza box in 1983 will be found. Another suitcase of cash is exchanged. The pizza code is rushed home and burned into an EPROM.

And so, a new Atari prototype is born. All Imagic collections previously thought to be complete will no longer be regarded as such, at least not to pizza box guy. But should pizza box guy be the one who decides for you when your collection is complete? Do you even know who pizza box guy is? Maybe -- just maybe -- he's insane.

Every collector sets their own goals and has their own idea of what a complete collection is. It is your personal goals and definitions that distinguishes your collection from others. How boring and mechanical it would all be if everyone were building the exact same collection.

Never ask if something is cool. Cool is in the eye of the beholder. Never ask another collector if your collection is complete. You're the most qualified person in the world to know. Your collection is complete at the exact moment you realize just how cool it is, when you are satisfied with it.

Ben

pitfall harry stated id very well. don't ask another collector if it is complete, because someone will eventualy tell you it is not. only ask yourself if it statisfies your collecting urges. if you think there are more imagic things you would like to have, then you're not complete ;) .

FYI, i have found eleven PAL imagic titles in the white label format in activision style cartridges with pastel colored boxes. that "might" be all that were ever made in that format, since that were all that were listed in a salu catalog i have. but then, one never knows for sure what will be discovered tomorrow.

I would say its complete, when you own all NTSC games (for me all PAL) without 10 and Prototypes. And the game Wing War (PAL only) :D :P .

By Imagic I miss these, which I don't count:

Atlantis II (10)

Cubicolor (P)

Sky Patrol (P)

And this which I count:

Quick Step! (5)

Shootin' Gallery (5)

Solar Storm (4)

So I have CommaVid complete for me, I miss only Magicard (10) & Video Life (10).

I appreciate everyone's posts (particularly those of great eloquence) and honest opinions. For the record, I was not asking to validate my own collection of Imagic carts (which I am very happy with) but to find out whether or not there was an "accepted standard" when it came to Imagic. You can trust me that I'm happy with the set I have, minus a rarity 10 and any prototypes, is plenty good enough for me. The only way I'll ever get an Atlantis II is if I stumble across one in the wild, because I wouldn't pay the $500+ price for one on eBay in a million years, and I'd only get a prototype if I found one at a garage sale in Sunnyvale for $2. ;)

Ok, then just disregard my earlier post to this thread. I was only trying to pad my post count anyway.

Ben

:lol: Not to worry Ben; padding or not I would never disregard your posts. They're usually insightful, amusing, or both. :D

I appreciate everyone's posts (particularly those of great eloquence) and honest opinions.  For the record, I was not asking to validate my own collection of Imagic carts (which I am very happy with) but to find out whether or not there was an "accepted standard" when it came to Imagic.  You can trust me that I'm happy with the set I have, minus a rarity 10 and any prototypes, is plenty good enough for me.  The only way I'll ever get an Atlantis II is if I stumble across one in the wild, because I wouldn't pay the $500+ price for one on eBay in a million years, and I'd only get a prototype if I found one at a garage sale in Sunnyvale for $2. ;)

I do the same thing you do when it comes to collecting. Since I'll probably never own more than a few of the 10s and will never spend $1000+ on a cart when I can get an arcade game for less, I pretty much consider my collection of a certain company's games complete once I have all of the carts minus 10s and prototypes, but I still keep a record of them on my dream list.

I used to deliver pizza and I can tell you definitively that all pizza delivery personnel are insane.

Except me.

Or am I?

As for completeness, Ben (as usual) hit the nail on the head. When collecting for something like the 2600, with an incomprehensible amount of "legitimate" releases, regional variations, pirates, hacks, prototypes, label variations, limited releases, etc. etc. there's no way to even know what would constitute a complete collection, much less determine whether or not you have one.

I would be proud to own "ALL the Imagic games that were commercially produced and released in North America" and leave it at that. My personal goal was to acquire at least one copy of each of the official North American Atari-released games for the 2600 through the text and black picture label eras, and then to collect one of each of the "text/number" labels, and one of each major label variation of Space Invaders.

Sounds simple, but even that has been difficult. I met the first two goals, and I thought I had met the third. I had 5 loose carts of Space Invaders with various labels, plus an unopened boxed red label. Curiosity got the best of me and I opened it... and it had a silver label cart inside!

OK... I already ranted about that in a previous post and I am derailing the thread. My point is simply to reinforce what others have said. Decide for yourself what you want to collect, and when you've met that, then your collection is complete!

OK... I already ranted about that in a previous post and I am derailing the thread.  My point is simply to reinforce what others have said.  Decide for yourself what you want to collect, and when you've met that, then your collection is complete!

As far as Imagic goes, it is for me. After reading this thread I've also decided that I'll consider a Spectravision collection "complete" without Mangia too. Most of those 10's are just too hard to get unless you're insanely stupid lucky and stumble across one in the wild (and I can always hope).

I wouldnt consider Atlantis II as a real cart, its just a hacked version of atlantis which was only given out to a handful of skilled atlantis players. Besides, this is probably the ONLY cart that is easier to fake than a beagle bros. cart.

I would only count carts that were distributed to the public. Just like I would not count a Pepsi Invaders as needed for a complete Atari collection.

As far as collecting PAL versions, I would only bother collecting PAL games that were not made available in NTSC like Asterix, Fatal Run, Klax, etc..

Archived