IGNORED

Ever confuse/get confused with classic gaming jargon?

Csonicgo

I never heard "N.E.S." until I started watching Youtube vids. I heard a bit of "Super NES" but most kids would say "Super Nintendo" (it's what it says on it after all).

I don't understand this part,"it's what it says on it after all". The Super NES has Super Nintendo Entertainment System on it and the box has the same but also has Super NES on it too. See?

blogsnesboxed.jpg

It has Super NES Super Set in the left corner, Super Nintendo Entertainment System at the bottom, and the yellow writing has Super NES Control Deck to refer to the console itself because Nintendo didn't sell consoles but "Control Decks". So, we just used the abbreviation for both that Nintendo used.

And even in PAL regions it was marketed by Nintendo as Super NES:

307831_front.jpg

And you can hear it in commercials:

That is why it is so confusing to me. Everywhere they had Super NES, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and Super Nintendo but I don't recall anything with making a word out of it. I see no reason for a new(?) way to abbreviate something that already had an abbreviation for it. Snes and Nes sounds like they came from a parallel universe.

I don't think I get so confused by terms in retrogaming, aside from people that call the PS1 PSX.

I probably missed that, as I had no access to gaming magazines, but I NEVER heard anyone calling a PS1 a PSX. Everybody I know called it Playstation, then PSOne when the Two came out. Again, only recently I heard and saw PSX used extensively, and while some people reported that it was the Playstation codename before it was released, I feel like it's a troll bait to get someone ranting about how the PSX is a PS2 system released by Panasonic blahblahblah...

This applies to me also. The closet thing to an abbreviation I knew was just calling it the PlayStation instead of Sony PlayStation.

I'm still confused about why my entire offline life I have always heard people pronounce the NES as N.E.S. and the SNES as Super N.E.S. but constantly hear them both pronounced as words on YouTube like Nes and Snes. I assume that maybe it is a geographical thing and that was how it was said in other states back in the day.

I don't think so. I think it started as a gamer hipster thing. If it didn't start with the gaming boom on YouTube, it started at almost the same time.

I don't understand this part,"it's what it says on it after all". The Super NES has Super Nintendo Entertainment System on it and the box has the same but also has Super NES on it too. See?

blogsnesboxed.jpg

It has Super NES Super Set in the left corner, Super Nintendo Entertainment System at the bottom, and the yellow writing has Super NES Control Deck to refer to the console itself because Nintendo didn't sell consoles but "Control Decks". So, we just used the abbreviation for both that Nintendo used.

And even in PAL regions it was marketed by Nintendo as Super NES:

307831_front.jpg

And you can hear it in commercials:

That is why it is so confusing to me. Everywhere they had Super NES, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and Super Nintendo but I don't recall anything with making a word out of it. I see no reason for a new(?) way to abbreviate something that already had an abbreviation for it. Snes and Nes sounds like they came from a parallel universe.

This applies to me also. The closet thing to an abbreviation I knew was just calling it the PlayStation instead of Sony PlayStation.

Well apparently in the UK it was, but here the ads says Super Nintendo :

https://youtu.be/QpnInIoaJuE

Hear it at 0:02. (also in this ad, at the end, Wario says "Especially my own (game), you dumbass". Probably the first time Nintendo let a character of theirs uttering a light insult on TV.

And on the game pad and console,t he most prominent marking is Super Nintendo, not super NES. I'm pretty sure that I never noticed that there was something written under Super Nintendo. And it was in English so for kids my age? English? what is that nonsense?

Seriously, the A+B of NES being the short for Nintendo Entertainment System only slapped me when I was like 10.

And about that Super NES box , the one I recall is that one :

39834.jpg

But there were also those :

MarioWorld2.jpg

snes-super-mario-all-stars1.jpg

This one :

snes_boite_4_1.jpg

seems to have been released only in early stages of the console sales so it probably didn't made a lasting impression. Or it's the box that hide under the pack sleeves so no one ever saw them really.

Ad for NES adverts, I don't recall any, and all the ads I find on the net never says NEs or N E S. They just says "the Nintendo console(s)" and indeed a lot of people just called them Nintendo before the Super Nintendo became common.

Edited by CatPix

Well apparently in the UK it was, but here the ads says Super Nintendo :

https://youtu.be/QpnInIoaJuE

Hear it at 0:02. (also in this ad, at the end, Wario says "Especially my own (game), you dumbass". Probably the first time Nintendo let a character of theirs uttering a light insult on TV.

And on the game pad and console,t he most prominent marking is Super Nintendo, not super NES. I'm pretty sure that I never noticed that there was something written under Super Nintendo. And it was in English so for kids my age? English? what is that nonsense?

Seriously, the A+B of NES being the short for Nintendo Entertainment System only slapped me when I was like 10.

And about that Super NES box , the one I recall is that one :

39834.jpg

But there were also those :

MarioWorld2.jpg

snes-super-mario-all-stars1.jpg

This one :

snes_boite_4_1.jpg

seems to have been released only in early stages of the console sales so it probably didn't made a lasting impression. Or it's the box that hide under the pack sleeves so no one ever saw them really.

Ad for NES adverts, I don't recall any, and all the ads I find on the net never says NEs or N E S. They just says "the Nintendo console(s)" and indeed a lot of people just called them Nintendo before the Super Nintendo became common.

I'm not really suggesting that people didn't use Nintendo, NES, Super Nintendo, and Super NES interchangeably but that it wasn't only Super Nintendo on the boxes and other marketing.

So, you made the connection in about 1998? ;) For us who were born and knew English earlier we made the connection with controllers like these:

nesadvantage.jpg

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

And heard it said in commercials like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRPUsc4lz5M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozPkEBhFzuw

I'm not really suggesting that people didn't use Nintendo, NES, Super Nintendo, and Super NES interchangeably but that it wasn't only Super Nintendo on the boxes and other marketing.

On the boxes maybe, but as you can see, here, the mention was removed or shrunk because it didn't caught. And in commercials I found, "Super NES" and even NES are never mentionned.

I'm not saying that Ennihess and EsseNihes are incorrect, I'm just saying that alot of people started using those names (mostly saying Super NES (as Super Ness - saying each letter would be VERY awkward here)) after Internet and Youtube gave them access to ads and video reviews from abroad.

So, you made the connection in about 1998? ;) For us who were born and knew English earlier we made the connection with controllers like these:

nesadvantage.jpg

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

And heard it said in commercials like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRPUsc4lz5M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozPkEBhFzuw

I had the NES advatange (without box) and nope, didn't spark it either. The console was the Nes, and why? because.. Why are Kodak celled Kodak? Meaningless but easy to say short name.

Why the Citroen AX, BX, CX? Because... Nobody knows! Things have names because you need to have names.

Another debate that Nintendo settled only recently (for those of you the like that kind of linguistic detail) is the Game Boy gender.

Do you say "le Game Boy", or "la Game Boy"?

Everyone at the time said la Game Boy. But Nintendo decided that it had to be a true Boy, and decided it was "le" Game Boy.

On the boxes maybe, but as you can see, here, the mention was removed or shrunk because it didn't caught. And in commercials I found, "Super NES" and even NES are never mentionned.

I'm not saying that Ennihess and EsseNihes are incorrect, I'm just saying that alot of people started using those names (mostly saying Super NES (as Super Ness - saying each letter would be VERY awkward here)) after Internet and Youtube gave them access to ads and video reviews from abroad.

I guess I could understand how it would be different in France and how it would be awkward saying each letter there but my original confusion brought up in this thread wasn't really about Europeans but Americans. When I watch a YouTube video with an American saying either Nes or Snes it confuses me because it makes me wonder if they got into those systems after the fact instead of back in the day or if somehow those nick names did exist back in the day outside of Indiana. In other words, if I hear someone on YouTube say something like,"Back in the day I remember getting the Snesss for Christmas the year it launched..." then I doubt their story because it doesn't sound like a pronunciation that someone who played it back in the day would use and therefore it gives the impression that they got into it way after the fact and are just pretending. So, I get confused if the impression I am getting from them is correct or if it could be other things like maybe kids started saying it wrong and the adults who know better just say it wrong too to sound cool to the kids. Whatever the reasons it confuses and sounds stupid to me.

'Smart TV' is also annoying. I want my devices as dumb as possible :D

I think it is kind of cool because if there is some kind of computer in them then they could be hacked to do different things. For an example, someone may hack one to run all retro gaming emulators and it would be kind of cool that they wouldn't need a PC, set top box, or some other external device to run them. Their TV itself could become an all-in-one retro gaming console.

I guess I could understand how it would be different in France and how it would be awkward saying each letter there but my original confusion brought up in this thread wasn't really about Europeans but Americans. When I watch a YouTube video with an American saying either Nes or Snes it confuses me because it makes me wonder if they got into those systems after the fact instead of back in the day or if somehow those nick names did exist back in the day outside of Indiana. In other words, if I hear someone on YouTube say something like,"Back in the day I remember getting the Snesss for Christmas the year it launched..." then I doubt their story because it doesn't sound like a pronunciation that someone who played it back in the day would use and therefore it gives the impression that they got into it way after the fact and are just pretending. So, I get confused if the impression I am getting from them is correct or if it could be other things like maybe kids started saying it wrong and the adults who know better just say it wrong too to sound cool to the kids. Whatever the reasons it confuses and sounds stupid to me.

My comment about that was not directed to you specifically, it was really mean to answer to the general thread.

Tho as our way of saying NES and Super Nintendo are quite opposite, I understand it might seems like I was answering to you without quoting, which isn't the case.

What I was saying is kinda the same situation that you, but in reverse : old gamers here would say NES and Super Nintendo, new gamers or retrogamers wannabe that grew with or made their retrogaming school with US youtubers (because PAL games sucks, of course) say "Sness". And PSX.

Or even worse, peopel that were here, but wanna distinguish themselves because they wanna look like they were early on everything, or wanna impress the others, going "yeah, My father got me a Super NES from the USA in 1990" and "I was reading all the video games magazines from Japan and talking on BBS, and everyone was discussing about the PSX before stupid French gaming magazines knew that the SNES CD add-on was abandonned" if you see the kind of people they are...

Edited by CatPix

I find it irritating how the appreviations for kilobyte and kilobit, megabyte and megabit, etc., are used. When I see 8M, I have to ask myself does that mean 8 Megabytes (8,388,608 bytes) or 8 Megabits (1,048,576 bytes)? Similarly, you might assume that when someone uses the abbreviation Mb, they mean megabits and MB means megabytes, but people are not always reliable.

A related issue is what does the word like megabyte mean? Does it mean 1,000,000 bytes or 1,048,576 bytes? Depends on who is using it and in what context. There the term mebibyte, which always refers to 1,048,576 bytes, but it is hardly ever seen in common usage and less than 20 years old.

• Like 2

I'm still bothered by people that refer to the original, front-loading NES (that's "N. E. S.", not "ness") as a "toaster". Who the hell came up with that? Toasters take bread in the top (almost always) so the top-loaders should be called "toasters."

Thanks, now I feel a little better.

I think it kind of makes sense because the loading mechanism is like sliding bread down into a toaster. Anyway, I always call the remake the top-loader while still calling the original just the NES(Why rename it when only the new version needs a description?)but I think I even got that online. Before that when we actually got one new I don't think I called it anything other than just pointing to it, calling it the new version, or something like that. I think I did the same with the new version of the Super NES. Maybe we called them mini, junior, or whatever but it seems like they were just nameless slim remakes that gave me an impression of being like Nintendo's versions of the Atari 2600 Junior. There just didn't seem like there was a need for names for them at the time and I don't have memories of others owning them anyway. I still have both of them but can't remember if my brother or I were the first to own them because we have sold them back and forth to each other so many times but the last time I bought them from him I probably said something like,"You know. The newer smaller ones."