IGNORED

If you don't ask... - or - Was this a waste of time? (We'll see!)

Omega-TI

There is an old saying, "If you want something, you have to ask for it."

Well, today I figured, "What the heck, it can't hurt to try".

So I typed in: 1-800-TI-CARES into Google, and got this website.

So I pressed the little red "Contact TI-Cares" button.

So I filled out the form.

So I wait now to see if I get a response to a TI-99/4A repair parts inquiry or a big fat, "HUH?"

gallery_35324_1027_59873.jpg

I'll let you know what happens.

• Like 4

TI-Cares was where I started when I first went looking for ROM permission for Classic99. ;)

At first they sent me a list of phone numbers of all the people they had contracted 99/4A services out to after they pulled out (most of the numbers were no longer good). Eventually they found someone who knew what I was talking about and I got the permission form letter that a few sites got. ;)

• Like 6

I received permission from TI's legal department to include the PDF version of the E/A manual in some software I was working on some years ago. I was not too difficult to get the permission, just some emails to the right person. I think I just called the main line and asked to talk to someone in the legal dept.

If you are looking for ti99/4a computer related software or hardware, all of the remaining inventory was sent to Cecure Electronics when it officially became the TI service center. When Cecure closed up shop, the remaining inventory was either sold to swim4home or disposed.

I can attest to the sheer volume of inventory. I was there to unload the semi trailer and helped sort and store the P-Boxes, monitors, modulators, power transformers, consoles, cartridges, manuals, CC-40s, parts, pieces, manuals, etc. etc. etc...

The main items I'm trying to obtain NEW are both pieces of aluminum trim. I want to restore a give-a-away unit for Christmas season this year... and while I'm at it, renew mine as well.

It's been many years but if memory serves correctly, pieces like this were not part of the repair and service inventory. Much of what TI serviced was based on the major pieces, such as the power supply board, keyboards, consoles. Things that could be replaced and swapped out easily. Perhaps swim4home will chime in.

I'm not suggesting you give up your quest. However, I would be very surprised if TI still had any remaining physical parts inventory.

This thread reminds me of when I got my TI. $50 from Kmart. This must have been in 1983? Maybe 1984? A long time ago.

No books or manuals or anything. My Mom helped me type a letter to the company, asking if they could send me the missing books.

A few weeks later we got a reply. Unfortunately, they did not have any. I was devastated.

Fortunately, Home Computer magazine and Compute! magazines were still going pretty strong. Thanks to them and friends from middle school I was able to get the information I needed.

I still have the books that Compute! published. C. Regina to the rescue!

In hindsight, I wish I still had that letter from TI. But, being just a punk kid, I threw it away. Oh well.

• Like 1