IGNORED

In-console 32k mod and a CF7+ - problem?

Tornadoboy

My CF7 is dead (that's another story) but I'd either like to fix or replace it eventually. In any case I was thinking of doing the in-console 32k mod and was wondering if that would later conflict with a CF7/NanoPEB if I were to plug one in?

Also are any of the other Mainbyte.com mods a big no-no with them? I was thinking of trying all the console mods, and I just got an F18a I'm about to install.

Edited by Tornadoboy

You'll need to be able to disable the in-console 32k if you use another 32k outside.. nanopeb OR peb..

You may have compatibility issues with older cf7 and nanopeb with f18a .. there was an issue addressed and fixed in V2. Other than that I think nothing else there should be an issue.

Greg

My CF7 is dead (that's another story) but I'd either like to fix or replace it eventually. In any case I was thinking of doing the in-console 32k mod and was wondering if that would later conflict with a CF7/NanoPEB if I were to plug one in?

Also are any of the other Mainbyte.com mods a big no-no with them? I was thinking of trying all the console mods, and I just got an F18a I'm about to install.

If you get a CF7+ or NanoPeb with a socketed sram chip, just remove the chip and there will be no interference. Also if you have desoldering skills, a non socketed sram chip can be removed permanently or a socket can be added to remove and replace at will, just in case you move the cf7+ or NanoPeb to an unmodified console.

Are you considering the Mainbyte 16-bit-bus upgrade or @Tursi’s 8-bit-bus upgrade here? A disable/enable switch for the latter project is discussed a few posts later here.

...lee

Edited by Lee Stewart

To disable a soldered RAM chip, you don't need to desolder the whole thing -- just heat the upper right-hand pin of the RAM chip (Vcc) so that the solder dissolves and lift it. That way you can re-enable it if you decide to sell it.

I did this with my now-unused nanoPEB (RAM chip was SMD, not socketed nor socketable). (I'm willing to sell it, but shipping from where I'm at would probably be excessive).

I've performed the Mainbyte 32kB modification on my console. It appears to work well; be mindful of the metal shields surrounding the VDP RAM, as they actually carry +5VDC (or ground, I forget which). You'll need to bend them, but don't remove them in portion or in full.

Edited by ckoba