IGNORED

Commodore 16 rarity?

DavidC

Working ones are hard to find, because in particular the custom TED chip that handles graphics, sound and I/O breaks extremely easily. Also the 7501/8501 CPU is remarkably prone to failure, and that is a model only present in the Commodore 16 and Plus/4 model line. The CPU might be possible to replace with a construction that involves a 6502 and some additional circuitry, but until there is a realiable FPGA or similar implementation of the TED chip (if that even is possible, I haven't followed closely), the number of machines in service decline all the time, probably far faster than most other classic computers and game systems.

Also it tends to be a regional thing. Far more Commodore 16 seem to have been sold in Europe, and behind the iron curtain, in particular in Hungary, Commodore once dumped all their surplus computers at a price that not even domestic manufacturers could match. Thus an unproportionally large part of the "scene" tends to be Hungarians, in case you ever noticed and wondered how come.

• Like 2

Thank You for the information. I am in the U.S. and I have never seen one until I was gifted one by my good friend. She found it at a random garage sale. The last time I powered it up, 6 or 7 years ago, it worked. I am going to have to try it again. Very interesting.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Are the 16's considered to be rare, hard to find? I did a quick search on eBay and found very few listings.

I have one, and curiosity has gotten the better of me.

Thanks,

Dave

Not exactly hard but not loads for sale. unboxed 50 quid maybe working, a nice boxed original set can fetch 120-150 depending on condition.