IGNORED

Does anyone still use an 8-bit (or 16-bit) computer for real work?

BillyHW

After recently dealing with "I can't sync my new ipad because I'm on an older version of itunes, but I can't upgrade itunes without upgrading my OS, which I did and of course a bunch of random stuff broke" I was really thinking that I'd be happy with an 8-bit computer for most things, if they had a few modern conveniences like HDs/SSDs, more polished internet access, a little better interface, etc. Word processing, spreadsheets, address book, email, games would all be pretty fine on an older system. I use my main computer for my home music studio, so that would be pretty impossible on an 8 or 16 bit computer, but most of my usage would be fine.

As a bonus, I'd waste a lot less time on Facebook and browsing message boards. ;-)

• Like 3

Heck, there is (or was) a bit of a counter-culture movement where younger people were collecting and using typewriters again! Sometimes the tool is just as much an inspiration to write and do things as the surrounding environment. If tinkering with a legacy system spurs someone on to do things, then so be it.

Counter-culture movements started by millennials are born out of the need to make a statement or be different just to be different. These actions rarely change or improve anything. It's just another way of saying, "look at me!".

But, yes, if a bad set of tools consisting of HarborFreight crap inspires the next Master Mechanic (no pun intended) then the job is done. Similar to an off-label side use of medicine.

• Like 1

Indeed..

I had to patch iTunes 9 to work with my iPad. So much for backward compatibility. And for those of you poo-pooing the idea of backward compatibility, that we don't need old software, please, more power to you! You are absolutely more than welcome to change out all your software every-time Microsoft or Apple farts.

Something worth mentioning is that up until the cloud & smartphone era, most users would build their computer up. I don't necessarily mean assemble the parts and install the OS, but rather take a system and over the years add software, tools, utilities, games, and productivity applications to it. And do that in a way that the system becomes your own. Highly personalized. Highly familiar. You have the tools you want at the ready. You know where everything is.

It's akin to pissing off your mechanic by re-arranging his shop every week. Never can find nuth'n. Well leave my computer the fuck alone and stop re-arranging things!

Be aware I have nothing against better and faster hardware as long as it's compatible. Compatibility was the thing that made Apple and IBM become consumer and industry giants. Standards! Something the 8-bit machine designers weren't really aware of or addressing back in the day. Pictures from one computer couldn't be viewed on another. And importing/exporting databases or word processor files didn't happen easily, at least not without a conversion program.

And it's one of the reasons why the PC ecosphere is shrinking - because software you bought and installed today is not likely to work on yesterday's or tomorrow's hardware + OS combo.

• Like 1

Counter-culture movements started by millennials are born out of the need to make a statement or be different just to be different. These actions rarely change or improve anything. It's just another way of saying, "look at me!".

But, yes, if a bad set of tools consisting of HarborFreight crap inspires the next Master Mechanic (no pun intended) then the job is done. Similar to an off-label side use of medicine.

I guess I'm one of those whatever you wanna call it that uses old tech even though its all older than me. I like old computers because new ones piss me off and moved to old games because I lost interest in these over complex games. Call me whatever you want, but I am not doing it to make a statement or to be different.