IGNORED

WHTECH -- A TI-BASED FTP program?

Omega-TI

I have a technical question for the programming gurus.

Since FTP sites and the programs that use them are basically text only, it would not be impossible for an FTP program to exist on the TI correct?

Imagine the whtech site with a few directories of stuff ready for TI use. An FTP program like this paired with Stuart's Browser or maybe the ability someday built-into the browser itself would make the TI fully self-sufficient in the modern Internet era without the need of a PC in a support role.

• Like 3

It seems to me it would be easier to get WHTECH to support file browsing and download over HTTP with simple index html instead of the complex pages for HTTP that are their. And then download support with some smarts around TIFILES headers.

FTP is actually a completely different protocol than HTTP, they are at best peers. There is nothing about HTTP that supports FTP. Browsers on the other hand, tend to be multi-protocol clients. (file:, http:, https:, gopher:, ftp:, etc... ) HTTP can transfer files without using the FTP protocol at all. HTTP is actually a much simpler protocol for file transfer than FTP.

I would be happier to see more HTTP supported than jumping protocols.

It would be awesome to have the whtech repository available directly to the TI.

(I'd also like to be able to access WHTECH from my Android phone, so I can read the old magazines on the my morning train commute, but WHTECH refuses to transfer any files to the Android client's or browser that I have tried.)

(I'd also like to be able to access WHTECH from my Android phone, so I can read the old magazines on the my morning train commute, but WHTECH refuses to transfer any files to the Android client's or browser that I have tried.)

Works fine on mine (Android 5.0) through Chrome: ftp://ftp.whtech.com

...lee

• Like 1

I was curious, so for grins I used SIB to see what would happen. I expected to see the error, "no valid markup found on page" like you see when you go to a non-TI page. But I guess it's not designed to recognize the FTP command.

BTW - Who was working on that translation routine that would strip out graphics and insert the TI formatting for non TI pages? I'd still like to see that!

post-35324-0-60144800-1454002319_thumb.jpg

I pinged Don (who runs whtech) and asked him about it and he said the http thing kept getting php hack attempts so he took it down. I let him know of the browser and interest and he's "seeing what he can do to set up something more static" so..will let you know if anything happens there :)

Greg

• Like 1

I pinged Don (who runs whtech) and asked him about it and he said the http thing kept getting php hack attempts so he took it down. I let him know of the browser and interest and he's "seeing what he can do to set up something more static" so..will let you know if anything happens there :)

Greg

He sez: I saw your post on Atari Age about the site…. I just enabled basic indexes which should be as plain as they get for the TI browser. Hopefully that will work J.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had to uninstall some stuff, and the downloads resumed working as expected. My bad.

Internet protocols like FTP would be cool, the UDS, I am assuming stops at the TCP/IP stack, right? It isn't actually implementing any higher level protocols like TELNET or HTTP?

Probably it has a ftp client.. you would just need to set up another TI client to access it.. The browser (i assume) makes requests through the uds through it's own internal protocol (telnet?) I have to sit down and play with it as I haven't even run it once yet. I'll make a cartridge and try it out.

I guess the UDS simply implements a socket connection to the remote side, so you can push bytes to it via serial connection which are gathered to segments and then transmitted, and incoming segments are buffered to be read via the serial line. In other words, you can implement any application protocol on top of it (telnet, ftp, http, smtp, ...).

[Edit: I guess you can only do FTP in the passive mode because the active mode uses another socket connection in the reverse direction. This is no limitation, though, because all FTP servers can serve a PASV command]

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 1