IGNORED

PCLINK.SYS support?

gozar

Now that the PCLINK seems to work smoothly on all platforms, I built the binaries for testing:

Windows binaries:

WIN-RespeQt-PCLINK-URL.zip

OSX binaries:

OSX-RespeQt_PCLINK_URL.zip

Raspberry Pi binaries:

RPI-RespeQt-PCLINK-URL.tar.gz

I also added support for a new feature: the "URL upload" (also known from the SIO2BT Android app).

The Atari can now submit the URLs via SIO, which can be used for submitting the HI-SCOREs in games

(RespeQt opens a web browser and submits the URL provided by the ATARI).

There is a very nice game Planetary Defence 2012 from Tom Hudson, which uses a "B:" device to submit the HI-SCORE.

Originally the "B:" device was implemented in the Colleen emulator only, but now I wrote my own "B:" handler, which sends the URL via SIO,

so you can play the game on the orginal hardware and still automatically submit your HI-SCORE :)

Please use the pd2012.atr image, since it loads automatically the "B:" handler and the game.

You do not need SIO2BT app anymore to do it (although it is still most convenient in my opinion).

It also works with RespeQt on any platform (Win,OSX, Linux) connected to ATARI via SIO2PC, SIO2PC/USB or via Bluetooth.

I would be happy ro receive any feedback from you.

• Like 9

Thank you!

I've just cherry-picked it to my Android repo. Haven't tested it yet, but it's a great feature.

I'm a bit short on time now but after recent interview with Kris Meier (Texas-sized BBS) I can't stop thinking about adding a minimal tcp modem support to AspeQt.

W.

A tcp modem?

You mean a Telnet Client proxy (like in APE) to connect to a BBS?

This may be interesting to you:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/249426-sio2pi-atari-as-a-terminal-for-a-raspberry-pi-visiting-bbs/

I described my experiments with Raspberry Pi using ATARI as a terminal.

This way you can also connect to any BBS.

One can add a telnet client to the AspeQt/RespeQt, but it is not that easy, especially if it should work with Software Handshake and Bluetooth.

It is also on my "TO DO" list for the SIO2BT app and I already have some ideas, but I need more time... So maybe you will be faster with AspeQt ;)

A tcp modem?

You mean a Telnet Client proxy (like in APE) to connect to a BBS?

Yeah, so far I'm following the greats (Altirra and atari800 sources). The hardest part to me is to come up with a proper device handler on the Atari side (what i still know almost nothing about), or maybe some existing one could be used. On PC side it's a tcp socket.

W.

Edited by greblus

The hardest part to me is to come up with a proper device handler on the Atari side (what i still know almost nothing about), or maybe some existing one could be used. On PC side it's a tcp socket.

On the atarimania.com you will find ATARI 850 Interface Module Operator's Manual. It is a good starting point for reading.

Basically the R: device and the 850 can use so called "Concurrent I/O" mode.

In this mode the SIO protocol is "on hold" as long as the Command Line is not active. The Atari can send and receive data (full duplex).

A raw TCP/IP socket on the PC side is not enough. You want to connect to a Telnet Server, so you need to have a Telnet Client to negotiate with the Server...

For the AspeQt/RespeQt one may consider to re-use PUTTY code (PLINK), see:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/217539-ice-t-xe-276-released/page-4?do=findComment&comment=2879458

Edited by TheMontezuma

• 3 weeks later...

I have been reading all this.. and maybe I missed a post, but can you now access the PCL with the same D#??

IF I mount a folder in drive 2 - if I do a dir pcl2: I get only a few files that it seems to understand exe files.. or 8.3 format maybe?

If I access D2: I get all the files, full file names. - is that the way its supposed to work now?

James

If some files are not visible probably you've set showing either uppercase od lowercase files when using PCLINK (previously it was a compile-time option and few days ago Marcin added it to RespeQt as an configuration option).

But the second question, have you tested it in Altirra? As far as I know on Real h/w it should give you Device NAK error.

Mounted folders can be accessed by two methods: via the PCL device, or the corresponding disk ID. However, device $3x access (i.e. Dn:) is read only and delivered in DOS 2.x format with a corresponding limit of 64 entries (which I think should be lifted, BTW). PCL access, meanwhile, is r/w, in SDFS format, and includes directories and a pretty much unlimited number of entries per folder.

If some files are not visible probably you've set showing either uppercase od lowercase files when using PCLINK (previously it was a compile-time option and few days ago Marcin added it to RespeQt as an configuration option).

But the second question, have you tested it in Altirra? As far as I know on Real h/w it should give you Device NAK error.

No I only use real hardware, I dont run Altirra.

So I will do it again.. once I get my video on my 800xl fixed.. or maybe I will do it on the 800.. and see what happens. It was either REALDOS or Sparta.. those are the two I am playing with now. But I know I was really surprised that the PCL: device only showed 3 files when there were 18 plus 4 directories, but if I did dir D2: I got everything listed.

James

As Greblus mentioned you will only see lower case 8+3 file names.

In the source code (Github) there is already an update including a checbox, for the upper case 8+3 file name support (on the PC side).

A PCLINK was meant to work as another Sparta Dos X disk.

As long as you copy files from the ATARI to the PCLINK-ed folders, there are no restrictions about the file names.

Everything which is allowed in SDX will work. However long file names with mixed upper/lower case on the PC side are not be supported and such files are ignored.

I know you guys wrote this.. but mine is not working as you describe.

I see all the files in the directory.. if they have mixed upper/lower.

my folder was loaded in AspeQt under drive 4.

d4: I can read all files names .. no issues.

pcl4: it will show me d4: as the location but will only show me the lower case files, but they do seem more accurate with file size etc.. than with D4:

I cannot copy from say d3:,d4: I have to type d3,pcl4:

but the sparta promt will always say D4: even if I change the drive to PCL4:

so ... why am I getting behavour that is sounds like Im not supposed to have??

James

Edited by Bikerbob

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

okay I rolled back to r3, pclink still works with that... and it's been made clear that r4 shouldn't require any extra intervention, it's just not doing any useful sio. please check out r4 with real rs232 sio2pc's and not usb devices..

Sure, I did. I have an XP (WIN32) laptop with real rs232 and succesfully performed the tests with R4.

However I used a SIO2PC cable using CTS signal and not DSR, which seems to make a difference...