IGNORED

5200 Trackball Question?

Video

IMO - the 5200 trak-ball is an excellent unit (especially if you just got a brand new one like me!)

Agreed. For the games that specifically support it, it works extremely well. I also appreciate the mechanical build quality.

For games that don't specifically support it, it's a crap shoot whether or not they're playable. I don't believe the CX-53 was intended to work with every 5200 game.

ThecAtariMax SD doesn't particularly like it...

Do you mean for controlling the menu? My earlier AtariMax 128-in-1 multi-cart doesn't like it either.

It's expecting too much deflection in the joystick to register a move up request. With the CX53, I can move down one entry or down a page (roll down, roll right). Then I can use the reset button to go back to the top of the menu if I overshoot. Once I remember the number of a game I want to play, I can key in the zero filled 3 digit number directly on the keypad to select that game.

Can the BIOS or equivalent be flashed on the SD cart? Maybe the manufacturer could modify it to support the Trak-Ball. I've never programmed the 5200, but I believe it would be a minor effort to support the CX53.

As I understand it, you have to activate an output line that makes the controller ignore any manual input and calibrate on the static value from the CX53 as "center". That alone might be enough to make the multicart menu more Trak-Ball friendly. It might also need a narrower "dead band", meaning that it would have to respond to a less extreme input from the controller.

Easy enough for me to say...

• 1 month later...

From the 5200 FAQ:

2.7 -- WHAT GAMES ARE COMPATIBLE WITH THE TRAK-BALL CONTROLLER?

---------------------------------------------------------------

* -- Plays best when used with the trak-ball

# -- Some gamers prefer to play it with the trak-ball, others don't.

X -- Works with the trak-ball but is not recommended.

* Centipede

# Football/RealSports Football

X Galaxian

# Kaboom!

X K-Razy Shootout

* Millipede

* Missile Command

X Pole Position

X RealSports Baseball

# Soccer/RealSports Soccer

X Space Invaders

# Super Breakout

Just a little more info for anyone here who would like to know: You can use Atariguy1021's Genesis controller to 5200 adapter to get the Sega Sportspad trackball working (as a joystick-mimicking trackball) on many Atari 5200 games that accept digital joysticks. Games like Breakout are not going to work, but Centipede, Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Moon Patrol, and Defender work. As a perk, the trackball has two independent fire buttons for 5200 games that recognize them both.

Another thing worth mentioning here is that the speed of the cursor in Centipede and the gun in Galaxian are set to be high- not low- with the trackball. Accuracy is pretty good, though.

Edited by ave1