IGNORED

Super Buggy Champ - New Sega Genesis Racing Game!

MantaNZ

Hey guys,

I've started work on a 'Buggy Boy' inspired racer. I intend to commercially release when done but thought I might as well start an update thread.

Will be a long road as I'm getting my head around coding for the machine as I go.

Anyway, here's a screen shot. It's a mockup but the game looks identical, I just haven't put the car sprite in yet. Graphics are also not final.

So far I've got the road bending and moving. Next step is to add car and roadside objects then slowly build into a game.

Cheers!

post-24237-0-27152600-1454090030_thumb.png

• Like 2

Mine too! Still play it a fair bit on C64. Doesn't really have any decent physics though, it's just like every other 2.5D game from the time. Pretty basic. You sure you're not thinking about Stunt Car Racer?

Sorry, when I was referring to physics, I meant "feel," i.e., the car reacted in a very specific way.

• 2 weeks later...

It is awesome that you are making this homebrew. Do you have plans to do others? Perhaps some arcade ports?

Yup! I'd love to do official ports for games that didn't get releases but need to prove myself before I go licensing IPs. After this game I'll probably port it to Lynx as I have found a cool development environment for that on this very site.

Could always hit the "big time", use your 68k programming skills and code for the Jaguar later on. :)

Sorry, can't multi quote on this phone. Grrr. As for Jag I'd love to. The sprite scaling capabilites are incredible (I love Super Burnout on my Jag). But until there's a decent development environment that caters for C, a decent emulator and a decent flash cart,it's a no-go :(

Edited by MantaNZ

But until there's a decent development environment that caters for C, a decent emulator and a decent flash cart,it's a no-go :(

Numerous people have been using "C" on the jag for years (see my attempt here). RB+ is also available, which is a compiled BASIC using Reboot's RAPTOR API for acceleration. As for emulation, Virtual Jaguar is the best emulator available and is in active development. Skunkboards are your best bet for testing on real hardware and have had several runs over the years too.

Numerous people have been using "C" on the jag for years (see my attempt here). RB+ is also available, which is a compiled BASIC using Reboot's RAPTOR API for acceleration. As for emulation, Virtual Jaguar is the best emulator available and is in active development. Skunkboards are your best bet for testing on real hardware and have had several runs over the years too.

That's cool you can use C but emulation is still ropey and the Skunkboard is less than ideal. From what I've read they're a nightmare to use, not to mention expensive. With the Genesis I have perfect emulation for testing as well as an Everdrive for testing on actual hardware. It's a no fuss setup. I'll definitely look into it though. I'd really love to be able to fully utilise the sprite scaling. About to buy a Jag CD console so that could be a possibility too...

Edited by MantaNZ

That's cool you can use C but emulation is still ropey

If you have problems with BITD games report the issues in the VJ release threads here on AA.

and the Skunkboard is less than ideal. From what I've read they're a nightmare to use, not to mention expensive.

If you are happy with a command line shell the Skunk can be programmed with a simple batch file. There is also a GUI front end available (although I've never used that).

The last lot of "Skunks" went for 75 Euro + P&P. Another run is being considered so you might want to put your name down for that.

If you have problems with BITD games report the issues in the VJ release threads here on AA.

If you are happy with a command line shell the Skunk can be programmed with a simple batch file. There is also a GUI front end available (although I've never used that).

The last lot of "Skunks" went for 75 Euro + P&P. Another run is being considered so you might want to put your name down for that.

Thanks for the info. Worth considering :) Started me thinking about what other systems I could port too also. Getting ahead of myself though... gotta finish the SMD version first :)