IGNORED

FileProtector 1 and 2

ebiguy

Hello,

FileProtector is a software which uses The Chip hardware to protect a file.

It lets you choose a file and writes a boot disk with a loader that checks for a sector/track protection.

To my knowledge, there were 3 versions of FileProtector.

Back in the 80, I had FileProtector 1 and 2.

I remember that I made a program to unprotect a game protected with FileProtector 2 but everything was lost many years ago.

I really wish to get FileProtector again.

Now I have FileProtector 3 that I found on internet but I can not find FileProtector 1 & 2.

Does anyone have these two versions ?

Thank you very much !

Google on the word atari file protector i find 2 sites 1 polish and the otherone gury site.

I hope that this maybe the good one is i must check my atari software list maybe i have the program what you build on version 2.

http://tajemnice.atari8.info/11-12_92/11-12_92_fp.html

http://gury.atari8.info/details_source_code/2298.php

Greetings Marco.

1 question what is the status from dis6502 ? There is allso a french site i will later give you the website and maybe you can use that to futher versions.

Hi Marco,

That's not what I am searching for.

Maybe anybody knows it under the name BootFiles.

Here is a snapshot of version 1.3 (I am searching for previous versions)

post-8819-0-53207100-1454168907_thumb.png

Hope you're doing well marco.

For Dis6502, I had no time to continue lately but I will probably work on it again this year.

• 7 years later...

Necrobump of the day. ;)

Yesterday I analyzed the a8preservation dump of "File Protector". It shows no version at all. Below ist the only output of the porgram:

image.png.cb9d9f270fa95076a6261376c40b5721.png

I also analyzed "The Guardian!" and found out that both disks contain the exact same program code. They only differ in the values used for EOR-encryption.

Does anyone know if/why CSS released the same program under two different names?

The protection it creates is the same which is used for File Protector and The Guardian.

Unfortunately I failed trying with an arbitrary EXE. When I reused the protection tracks, loading succeeded but then it seems not to find a run address and does a cold start.

Since I do not have documentation, I am probably doing something wrong or my EXE is not compatible.

Btw.: @www.atarimania.com how come that you hardly have anything from CSS in your database?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, www.atarimania.com said:

No reason in particular but as we tend to prioritize unarchived material, there may be gaps for some of the more common stuff. We'll get to it eventually.

In case you have a dump of The Miracle!, Rich Man's Word-Processor or Hard Disk Backup Pro! v1.0, I am interested to repair our flux dumps.

Dumps of CSS' programs seem not to be very common.