IGNORED

Atari 7800 controllers ?

Xgames

Wanted to give an apology to Osgeld regarding my previous post. I just found out through trials and tribulations of trying to get my new AtariVox+ working on my 7800, that my primary 7800 appears to have had a flaky RIOT it in the whole time?! Swapped it out with one from an old 4 switcher I had laying around for parts and what do you know... Good to go.

I've gotten lucky with the CX78 PAL controllers. I've been able to acquire two, each for under $28 (and that included shipping) on eBay from international sellers. It's all about keeping an eye out for good deals, and don't be afraid to ask a seller if they'd be willing to accept a lower price because sometimes they will accommodate you (provided that the lower price is still reasonable).

The CX78 controllers are good for two button games, for one button games I"d recommend the Gemstick Joystick controllers- they're comfortable in the hand with a responsive button and joystick. Again, it's all about keeping an eye out for good deals on eBay because I've been able to acquire the Gemstick at very affordable prices as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Im trying the route of micro switch nodding the controllers for my 7800 that way there is less slop on the stick and more stiff reaction to the contacts. You dont need to jerk as much Im picking up switches tomorrow. Ill let you know how this goes. If youre intrested and they turn out well would you like me to do the same for you for much cheaper than what others want I mean 50 dollars for a nes 7800 controller my god. The most I would charge is like 25 dollars or even a trade. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I was just about to order 2 of the nes converted pads.. Has anyone else seen these controller issues that Crossbow has?

$38.00 for 2 was a great deal..but not if they dont work right...

He (crossbow) said in the following post it wasn't his controllers but a bad chip on his 7800. I bought this controller and can vouch for the awesomeness. They have a great solid feel on the d-pad as well.

There is a mod for the master system controllers also, I like them, already has the d-sub 9 pin plug, black, matches the 7800, etc you also have a screw in thumb stick if you like. I have also thought of modding a SNES or turbograpx 16 controller to the 7800 the choice is yours,

I picked up a micro-switch modded Pro Line on Ebay recently. I'm not gonna say it makes it a great controller--but it sure makes it a lot easier to use regularly. The switches require such a light touch (literally, I can use the stick with one finger easily) to activate that you no longer need to torque the stick as hard, meaning you don't need to hold the body of the controller with your other hand so tightly, meaning you greatly reduce the pain line death grip.

• Like 2

There is a mod for the master system controllers also, I like them, already has the d-sub 9 pin plug, black, matches the 7800, etc you also have a screw in thumb stick if you like. I have also thought of modding a SNES or turbograpx 16 controller to the 7800 the choice is yours,

All the wires are not present coming from that DB9 plug so you did not make a 7800 conversion using the cord from the SMS controller as that would be impossible.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just about to order 2 of the nes converted pads.. Has anyone else seen these controller issues that Crossbow has?

$38.00 for 2 was a great deal..but not if they dont work right...

Moonlight,

I redacted my earlier statement about this. It was really strange, but I've played on this 7800 for over 10 years and all that time never really used the player two port on it. All games seemed to work just fine with the player 1 port and standard controllers I would use on it. When I purchased Osgeld's controllers and tried them I had wonky things happening. As I stated Ms. Pac-man would occasionally turn when I didn't want her to and it was just hard to explain. Then about a week or so later I receive my Atarivox+ in the mail from AA and couldn't get it to even be recognized on my 7800. But it would work fine on my 2600s. So I started looking into it more and since this 7800 happens to have a socketed RIOT chip (the only chip on a socket), and was that way when I got it, I assumed the RIOT had been replaced in the past and might be an issue. Changed it out with a spare one I had from a dead 2600 and then the Atarivox started to work as it should. That is when I also noticed the controllers from Osgeld started working properly as well.

So yeah, I was thrown off because genesis and stock 2600 controllers had always worked just fine on this 7800. But apparently I had a faulty RIOT and it wasn't liking the NES modified controllers until it was replaced.

So to reiterate - Osgeld's controllers are excellent! They are still more sensitive than the pro-lines on directions, but that is a good thing in my opinion. I highly recommend them!