IGNORED

Memory question (base and extended) for games

Space Centurion

Hi, I'm still relatively new to the 4a world, and have some memory questions. I have the PEB with memory card. I was copying some games from cassette to disk with no issues there. A few of the games would not run from disk as it said "memory full", I tried from cassette and got the same error. I know there is a ram difference with PEB on and off (11840 vs 13913 bytes). With the PEB off, it works fine.

How to you get the program to run in that 32k (24488 bytes free) area? Shouldn't it be automatic? I should mention these games are basic and not extended basic.

I personally don't care where the program resides, I just would prefer loading from disk than cassette. :-)

Any help would be appreciated.

Michael

CALL FILES(0) to gain additional program memory unless you need a file for your program then 1

Greg

Classic99 is the only thing today that supports CALL FILES(0), and in Classic99's case it only uses it for the VDP memory layout. Disk still works fine with 0 set there, so the 'unless' clause there doesn't apply in that case. ;)

• Like 2

Normally after CALL FILES you should type "NEW" to let the console rebuild the VDP memory map, before the OLD. :)

But CALL FILES(1) is what you would do on hardware, (0) exists in Classic99 only for special situations and saving files in that environment can create files that real hardware can't load. :)

Normally after CALL FILES you should type "NEW" to let the console rebuild the VDP memory map, before the OLD. :)

But CALL FILES(1) is what you would do on hardware, (0) exists in Classic99 only for special situations and saving files in that environment can create files that real hardware can't load. :)

RXB has a special feature loading TI Basic or XB programs:

CALL XBPGM("DSKn.FILENAME",1)

That line will do:

CALL FILES(1)

NEW

RUN "DSKn.FILENAME"