IGNORED

HSC13 Round 3: Mr Do!

therealbountybob

If you missed round 1 or 2 just join in and post late scores :)

and winner of the poll from atariron82's 5 games is...

Mr Do!

mr._do%21.png

It's great fun so join in! Left handers can press L to rotate the joystick if using an Atari stick!! Fandal's HSC record from season 7 is 1 million (!) so you can tie with that if you wish for a bonus point - no need to play on.

Download Fandal XEX

Info Atarimania, manual on POST #17

Bonus challenges #1 fastest scenes 1-3 as part of your normal go. #2 Highest score for scenes 1-3

There is an intermission showing all the times. Extra bonus point also for someone who has never won, or only once won, a HSC round (you might need to tell me!)

Mr Bonus game if you want a bonus point then play any Mr (or Mrs) game that has never been played in the HSC before, there are plenty of them (you can check the ratings and records to see if it has been played) and tell us about it! Good, bad, worth a future play here or as a bonus game?! atarionline.pl have plenty of candidates.

Round closes Sunday 28th Feb 11pm UK time

Have Fun

If you missed round 1 or 2 just join in and post late scores :)

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 1

Ok I played Mr. Grumpy as my bonus game

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-mr-grumpy_14635.html

It's a basic game so I wasn't expecting too much.

It's a platformer in which you have to move Mr. Grumpy around the screen, collecting the apples as he goes, whilst avoiding the 'ghosts'!

He moves between levels by using the lift which appears to get faster, with each level.

Sadly there are only 3 different levels which repeat.

I think the game would have been improved if Mr. Grumpy was able to jump! As it is you have to run off the levels to avoid the ghosts.

One major problem I found with the game is that if you get tagged by a ghost you lose a life but the level doesn't reset. If you happen to be moving in the same direction as the ghost you can get zapped twice within a split second.

Also when the game is finished your score is lost instantly which would be a problem if we were playing in HSC.

Initially I thought this game would be worth a shot at a bonus game but having played it a bit more I'm realising that it's not good enough.

The three rounds repeat twice, the second time through being more difficult, but then the game resets back to the original difficulty. And worse still, the first level isn't completable anymore. There seems to be a bug which means that the level doesn't finish when you've collected all the apples!

3/10

Edited by McKong
  • Like 1

Was my first game, each successive got progressively worse, embarrassingly so. I know I can do better.

Round times 1-3: (already won/have the Necromancer HSC)

Round 1- 23s

Round 2- 32s

Round 3- 24s

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

I have the DataSoft diskette version, is this the one we're playing?

Yes (I think the versions are all the same) :thumbsup: :)

Ok I played Mr. Grumpy as my bonus game

Great stuff I've never heard of him - perhaps someone will fix it (I'll check it and perhaps add it to my list of Atari projects!) :thumbsup:

I have a few days off, so i thought i would post some scores i have also done a score on Zybex i will post this on the round 2 page

:thumbsup: Yes Everyone put a score on for rounds 1 and 2 if you missed them - I'll do a season 13 current standings soon :)

I love Mr. Dig a lot... this looks the same not played yet....

Yes it's a good game but it was already played (S8R17) so pick again ;-)

"Mr. Do" is number 3 in my personal "Top 10 most hated games". I had to bring myself to play this one.

Let's see that list eh?

same for everyone :)

Let's see that list eh?

Sure, here it is. As a bonus, my top 10 favourite games list. :)

10 most hated:

1. Monkey Magic

2. Green Beret

3. Mr. Do

4. Sidewinder

5. Big House

6. Leaper

7. Henri

8. The Last V8

9. Rally Speedway

10. Aztec

10 favourite:

1. Mission Shark

2. Draconus

3. Maxwell Manor

4. Zybex

5. Shamus 2

6. Extirpator

7. Goonies

8. Bruce Lee

9. Journey to the Planets

10. Mouse Trap

• Like 3

I was very disappointed when I tried Green beret on the Atari as it was a game that I've enjoyed playing on the c64 and mame. The Atari version is very poor.

Love Goonies and Bruce Lee it's a shame they're too easy to beat. Other than Zybex I haven't played any of the other games on your top 10 list!

• Like 1

play any Mr (or Mrs) game that has never been played in the HSC before

This is a fun idea. I wanna try "Mr. Munchman." This is listed on AtariMania here:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-mr-munchman_3573.html

This game is listed (without any details or screenshots) on AtariMania, but it isn't archived there. I can't find it for download anyplace else either. The only place I could find any reference to "Mr. Munchman" was here:

http://www.dadgum.com/giantlist/

The "The Giant List of Classic Game Programmers" gives this information about it:

[T] Mr. Munchman (1983, 800, Antic)

According to the "Giant List," it's a type-in game from "Antic" magazine, but I can't find any reference to it on AtariMagazines:

http://www.atarimagazines.com/

Now I really feel like I've been challenged to find and play this game! Can anyone point me to this game-- or even just the issue of "Antic" that it was in (that would be a huge help). If I have the issue, then it's probably on an Antic disk (if the game wasn't published too early in the magazine's history).

• Like 1

Sure, here it is. As a bonus, my top 10 favourite games list. :)

10 favourite:

1. Mission Shark

2. Draconus

3. Maxwell Manor

4. Zybex

5. Shamus 2

6. Extirpator

7. Goonies

8. Bruce Lee

9. Journey to the Planets

10. Mouse Trap

You have an excellent taste for good games sir! I would like to add at least Blue Max to this list, but I have probably more games to add ;)

• Like 3

I OCRed and edited the "Mr. Do!" manual for all you high score players.

Mr. Do! Instructions (Atari 800 / Commodore 64)

Game Controls and Indicators

Select Number of Players by pressing the OPTION/F3 key.

Start game by pressing START/F7 or the joystick button.

Move Mr. Do through the cherry field by pressing the joystick in the direction you want him to travel.

Hurl Powerball by pressing the joystick fire button.

Pause a game by pressing the SPACE BAR. Resume play by pressing the SPACE BAR again.

Number of Lives Remaining are displayed at the bottom-left corner of the screen.

Turn Sound Off by pressing the S key. Turn it back on by pressing S again.

Scores are displayed at the top of the screen.

Top Score for this session of play is displayed at the bottom-right corner of the screen.

Restart Game and return to the title page by pressing SYSTEM RESET/F1.

Scoring

Cherries:

Single - 50

Eight in a row - Additional 500

Monsters:

Destroy monster with powerball - 500

Crush monster with apple - 1,000

Crush two or more monsters at a time with an apple.

2 - 2,000

3 - 4,000

4 - 6,000

5 monsters and over - 8,000

Destroy all EXTRA monsters - One extra Mr. Do

Capture the center treats for the following points.

Cake - 1,000

Cookies - 1,500

Pudding - 2,000

Ice Cream - 2,500

Hamburger - 3,000

Cake - 3,500

Chocolate - 4,000

Sandwich - 4,500

Milk - 5,000

Fried egg - 6,000

Hot cake - 7,000

Orange Juice - 8,000

Bonus: For capturing the lucky diamond you win receive 8,000 points and exit the current screen

Strategy

Your goal is to eat as many cherries and center treats as you can while defending yourself against the monsters with your super powerball and the giant falling apples.

There are four types of monsters to look out for: regular monsters, boss monsters (the EXTRA letter monsters), henchmen, and diggers. Of all the monsters, only the diggers can dig tunnels. The regular monsters will occasionally change into diggers, so beware!

The boss monsters have a letter on them (watch the word EXTRA at the top of the screen) and appear whenever you eat the center treat, and at every 5,000 points and multiples thereof. (A boss monster will only appear if he is covering a letter not already released and destroyed.) When the boss monster appears after you, eat the center treat, the boss monster's henchmen accompany him. The henchmen cannot always be destroyed by falling apples. If you destroy a boss monster first, before destroying his henchmen, all his henchmen will change into apples. If you can destroy all the EXTRA boss monsters, you will be rewarded with an extra Mr. Do.

And look for the lucky diamond that appears in some fallen, broken apples Grab it for a giant bonus!

• Like 2

I played many games of "Mr. Do!" for about an hour this afternoon. I'm not very good (that's for sure!), but it's a fun game! So far I've managed to score fairly low, but it's something to get started with:

Mr Do! - 31,900 (NTSC, Real Hardware)

post-4925-0-21821000-1455666520_thumb.jpg

I only saw the diamond that comes out of the apple once and I died before I could reach it. I let 8,000 easy points slip right through my fingers!

I have fond memories of playing this game in the arcade back in the 80s. I actually wanted a Colecovision back then just so that I could play "Mr. Do!" I played this game under MAME five or six years ago putting in virtual quarter after virtual quarter. The arcade game gets impossibly fast as it progresses and unlimited funds helped... but just barely.

Having read the manual, it seems that I really should be able to score much higher if I plan a strategy around destroying multiple monsters at once. If that what you did, "SIO2," to earn over 173,000 points? I've still not destroyed all the EXTRA monsters-- I need to figure-out a clever way to do this on a regular basis for free guys.

Does anyone have any "Mr. Do!" game playing tips that they can share?

Edited by ballyalley
  • Like 1

Having read the manual, it seems that I really should be able to score much higher if I plan a strategy around destroying multiple monsters at once. If that what you did, "SIO2," to earn over 173,000 points? I've still not destroyed all the EXTRA monsters-- I need to figure-out a clever way to do this on a regular basis for free guys.

Does anyone have any "Mr. Do!" game playing tips that they can share?

My "strategy" needs some work but, yes I do try to drop apples on multiple monsters at once. Try to set up your dig so you can push apples off a cliff onto a row of monsters coming up to you.

Also I completed two EXTRA and almost had a third. You have to watch which letter is highlighted and grab the snack bonus items to draw out the letters you need to complete EXTRA. Be sure you have the ball in hand when you call out a letter. Ignore the monsters and try to get behind the letter to shoot it. Then the monsters that attend the letter will become apples that may drop on more monsters.

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 1

OK so the next poll is from the games Dope's hates list :P :D

Some interesting ones on the favourites. I'm suprised Mr Do! was on the hated list, and Rally Speedway is great fun for TWO players :)

Mr Do! Hints: lots of goes is the way to improve but from memory, and baring in mind I am not the best player on this one :twisted: ...

• try killing all but 1 baddie, then you can end the level by shooting him if you get into trouble
  • fire off right at the start
  • keep a ball active unless it's getting dangerous
  • keep the main tunnel away from them
  • keep the screen intact, less open areas
  • get the extra letter guy by sneaking around his back

I must play soon - just finished playing and reviewing *ALL* the light gun games for my next Pro© Mag article :-o :)