IGNORED

Portable TI -- Hardware Suggestions

Omega-TI

For kicks I decided it might be neat to have a semi-portable TI system that can fit into a standard laptop bag. To keep weight and component size down to a minimum, and still be able to fit into the bag, I need a couple of alternatives.

1) Does anyone know of a smaller and more portable/modern power supply that can power the TI console?

2) What is the smallest and flattest VGA monitor around 9" - 10" that will work with an F18A?

gallery_35324_1027_99997.jpg

one of these in a old kaypro II case with a Li-ON battery and inverter with a TI MB and F18, Zeno board or Built in 32k and Ubergrom and two Goteks or HxC and a disk controller. Wow

one of these in a old kaypro II case with a Li-ON battery and inverter with a TI MB and F18, Zeno board or Built in 32k and Ubergrom and two Goteks or HxC and a disk controller. Wow

That would be interesting... but you forgot the PS/2 adapter so you could adapt the Kaypro's keyboard. ;)

While we're at it add a SCSI card so you can run a CD ROM and...

IMG_0889.JPG

Could you actually get an LCD in that case? It looks a little tight.

• Like 1

That would be interesting... but you forgot the PS/2 adapter so you could adapt the Kaypro's keyboard. ;)

While we're at it add a SCSI card so you can run a CD ROM and...

IMG_0889.JPG

Could you actually get an LCD in that case? It looks a little tight.

Well I have a little composite lcd (7in) that looks like it could fit with some massaging, now, I have a Percomm card I could use with the system as a drive controller, since I haven't thought of adding slots. But a setup like the external drive cable on Stuart page, might be the ticket for that to use a Scsi, could happen. I have the Rave 99 keyboard adapter, btu a ps/2 or usb would be nice too. Cool looking rig though. :)

Edited by RickyDean
  • Like 2

On the topic of a replacement power supply for the TI, I can see why the community might want to identify a 'perfect candidate' from the untold hundreds of laptop power supplies available CHEAPLY on Ebay.

Some of the reasons

1) Size -- The old TI supply is rather large, the new models are more 'slimline'.

2) Cost -- Many of these new power supplies are a heck of a lot cheaper than purchasing an old used TI power supply.

The one pictured here is not suitable for our use, but it used only as an example:

s-l1600.jpg

The auction has it listed for only $6.79... POSTAGE INCLUDED!

3) Failure -- Our units are getting old, it's just a matter of time that we might need a replacement.

So having a NEW power supply for immediate use in the even of a failure would be nice.

Now granted we might have to replace the plug, but that is not difficult, besides, when the old power supply fails, we'll have the exact plug we need for the job.

On the topic of a replacement power supply for the TI, I can see why the community might want to identify a 'perfect candidate' from the untold hundreds of laptop power supplies available CHEAPLY on Ebay.

Some of the reasons

1) Size -- The old TI supply is rather large, the new models are more 'slimline'.

2) Cost -- Many of these new power supplies are a heck of a lot cheaper than purchasing an old used TI power supply.

The one pictured here is not suitable for our use, but it used only as an example:

s-l1600.jpg

The auction has it listed for only $6.79... POSTAGE INCLUDED!

3) Failure -- Our units are getting old, it's just a matter of time that we might need a replacement.

So having a NEW power supply for immediate use in the even of a failure would be nice.

Now granted we might have to replace the plug, but that is not difficult, besides, when the old power supply fails, we'll have the exact plug we need for the job.

If I recall isn't the power for the 99/4a the exact same for a PC power supply, and if so I would think one of these would work.

http://www.amazon.com/AGT-External-Power-Supply-Adapter/dp/B00B42UTFO

The series is in MICROpendium June-August 1989 with and addendum in Nov 1989.

Yes it was these articles, that got me to purchase the Kaypro at a Dayton Hamfest and start converting it. I had a working system except a monitor and memory(didn't have 32k on-board yet) and a Percom controller to run the disks. I had extended a cable to the MB from the TI keyboard, so it wasn't ready yet, but was getting there. Everything went south,figuratively, in some personal matters, and I packed up went south physically. Now trying to get it all cranked up again, but slow going.

• Like 2