IGNORED

Was Adam Computer released in 240 Volt Version?

StarshipUK

I have recently found someone selling a Coleco Adam system advertising it as a 240 Volt system (with 240 Volt plug attached), but non working.

Was the Coleco Adam (Printer) ever released in Europe as a 240 Volt System? I thought it was only ever released in America as a 110 Volt system and that could explain why it is not working (perhaps they blew it up plugging it into 240 Volts, lol!)

As far as I understand, the ADAM takes reasonably common +5V, +12V and -5V so it shouldn't have been rocket science to install a 220-240V power supply. Without considering power consumption (measure in amperes), it strikes me that one of the BBC Micro PSU's, or pretty much any other computer of the day, could have fit the bill. The ones manufactured by Astec for the Beeb even have a solderable jumper setting to switch between 110-120V and 220-240V. See also IBM PC power supplies which used to have a toggle switch on the back side for easy access... which was awful in classroom situations where mischivious kids would toggle the switch in order to get 220V into a power supply configured for 110V. :-(