IGNORED

Asking for some advice about making a new label for a rare..

CPUWIZ

game, I recently complete a trade with someone for a lot of games (not on the board don't worry) and I sort of got ripped off. The trade included a rarity 9 Spike's Peak and when I received it the label was f*cked, it had un-mentionable substances on it and I completely removed the label. :(

Now, my question is, do you guys think it would be shitty to sell the cart with a label I made for it even though I would mention it ? I am asking this because I know some clown out there will scream "REPRO" again and I am tired of hearing it.

What do you think ?

How can they scream repro if it is not a repro cart.

If I were you, I'd make a new label and not say anything about it being a reproduction LABEL because if people don't know that it's a new label, then how can they scream repro in the first place?

If I were you, I'd make a new label and not say anything about it being a reproduction LABEL because if people don't know that it's a new label, then how can they scream repro in the first place?

I think that would be deceiving and not fair to the buyer, in fact just as unfair as it was to say the cart was in great shape when I got it. :sad:

I think you should say just what you've said here in the auction (or, well... something similar).

Explain clearly that it's an original cartridge but a reproduction label because the original label was severely damaged.

It will certainly reduce the value you get for it vs. a good-condition original label, but I'd bet you'll get more money than you would for the original label with an "unmentionable substance" on it.

Personally, though, I think you need to share with us what the "unmentionable substance" is. Leaving it open to speculation may, in fact, be even more disturbing than the truth!

I think the best solution here would be to sell it label free and mention in the description that you will gladly supply a newly made label if they want one.

Just make sure you are extremely clear in the description to all that this is NOT a repro cart so you don't give anyone incentive to be an a$$hole rat again.

The best of both worlds...

A new repro label that clearly states the label is a repro..

In fact we could define a standard mark of some kind that could be used across all repro labels. Perhaps a small "RP" in the lower left. Collectors will know the mark and so be informed consumers. But I do believe that a Original cart with a repro label will auction higher than one sans label...

I think the best solution here would be to sell it label free and mention in the description that you will gladly supply a newly made label if they want one.

Exactly. Sell the cart as is, cleaned up and minus the piece of crap label it originally had, and offer to include a new label at no extra charge. You could even photograph the cart and the new label side by side next to each other before you sell, and then once the purchase has been made you either apply it yourself or send it to the buyer and let them do it, whatever their preference.

I had an extra "frogger" w/o label that I wanted to sell with my other Atari stuff when I had a booth at the local swap meet a few years ago.

So I made a label for it with some of those white "mailing sticker" labels( can't recall the exact kind ).

I put 3 of them side to side then I "drew" in pen the Frogger design based on my other Frogger cart.

I know, it was a cheap replacement label but I thought I did pretty well on reproducing the artwork.

This young boy comes up and wants to buy it with the Atari console I had for sale. It was obviously not the original label, so his Mother asked me if it was really "Frogger".

I had no reason to lie and told them they could bring it back if unsatisfied( since we had a booth there every weekend for several months.

So that worked out since they didn't return it. Of course, with the system I sold them + a few other games, "Frogger" was less than $1. :ponder:

For your needs, I think Historian has a good idea there. You've done some really nice work on other labels, so "RP" or "Not original label" would probably be a good idea to include near the copyright text.

Good Luck! 8)

Now, my question is, do you guys think it would be shitty to sell the cart with a label I made for it even though I would mention it ? I am asking this because I know some clown out there will scream "REPRO" again and I am tired of hearing it.

Actually, now that I've seen a few of your labels I can say that they're generally a bit glossier than the originals and, thus, wouldn't really fake anyone out who was even a half-serious collector. Especially if you start off by saying that the label's a reproduction. For myself, I'd much rather have a cart with a repro label than one with none at all. Just my two cents.

Actually, now that I've seen a few of your labels I can say that they're generally a bit glossier than the originals and, thus, wouldn't really fake anyone out who was even a half-serious collector.

That's precisely what I was thinking, these labels are laminated, thus making them scratch resistant and washable. :D

Check it out:

spikespeak.jpg

Well, would *you* buy a rarity 8/9/10 cart if it had a repro label on it? I would depending on the game. I have a ton of carts with bad labels, and I am torn between keeping them or making new. I dont plan to sell them, but someday I might, so I haven't made any changes.

Bottom line though as long as you mention it I dont feel that there's anything wrong with selling it with a homemade label.

Good luck man!

we've already seen what can happen with the Glib repro. originally it was sold with good intentions. but once it falls into someone's hands that does not have good intentions, an attempt can be made to pass it of on someone unsuspecting as an original. the label reproductions are good enough at this time that not everyone can tell the difference. i think a watermark, one not easily torn off or scratched off, should be used on all reproduction labels.

I would sell it "AS IS" without the label if you are going to do it on ebay....include a free repro label if you wish...they can't bitch about free to much.

Unless someone here wanted to buy it knowing it was a repro up front...I'd say a lot of us would not mind having it with a repro label. I'd avoid ebay though...nothing good can come of it.

Mock :ponder:

This might be a silly question, but HOW do you make a homemade label.  Do you just find a picture of the label and download it, manipulate it in an image editor and print it out on stickers?  If so, where do you find the pictures of the labels?

No, it's a lot more complicated than that, sometimes it takes hours to perfectly recreate a label like this. All scans you can find online are nowhere even close enough in quality to make a label like this one. I am working with files that range in the 30-100 megabyte range for each label.

This might be a silly question, but HOW do you make a homemade label.  Do you just find a picture of the label and download it, manipulate it in an image editor and print it out on stickers?  If so, where do you find the pictures of the labels?

No, it's a lot more complicated than that, sometimes it takes hours to perfectly recreate a label like this. All scans you can find online are nowhere even close enough in quality to make a label like this one. I am working with files that range in the 30-100 megabyte range for each label.

Yeah, but you are also talking about selling the game. I am talking about for my own personal use. Some of the games I own have no labels and the Activision games labels are in horrible shape. I would like to clean them up a bit. A new label, even if it's not the same quality as the original, would make the games look better. I realize that this has very little value in terms of gameplay or enjoyment, but it would make me feel better. It just bugs me.

In that case, what would you do?

What I would do (or, HAVE done, in fact, although the results were less than stellar) is get a high-res scan of a decent copy of the label, and then take it into Photoshop and clean up the colors... turn all of the slight variations of color that naturally occur when something is scanned into solid blocks of the pure color... especially the background and the text. For pictures I would try to just make sure the color is saturated and any stray marks or scratches have been removed with the rubber stamp tool. Then, print it up and you're set!

I did this for a few damaged labels I had on dupe games I decided to send up to my in-laws' farm in Michigan along with my Darth Vader. I cleaned off the old damaged labels and made new ones based on scans of my good copies of the carts!

What I would do (or, HAVE done, in fact, although the results were less than stellar) is get a high-res scan of a decent copy of the label, and then take it into Photoshop and clean up the colors... turn all of the slight variations of color that naturally occur when something is scanned into solid blocks of the pure color... especially the background and the text.  For pictures I would try to just make sure the color is saturated and any stray marks or scratches have been removed with the rubber stamp tool.  Then, print it up and you're set!

I did this for a few damaged labels I had on dupe games I decided to send up to my in-laws' farm in Michigan along with my Darth Vader.  I cleaned off the old damaged labels and made new ones based on scans of my good copies of the carts!

Is there a site that has high res copies of the labels. Thanks for your help guys. I'm new with this collector thing.

The ones HERE are the highest-resolution I have seen so far.  (OK... a lot of them are really low resolution, in terms of what the JPEG is set at for PPI... but it's easy to change that, as long as the image is BIG.)

Cool. Thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot. I mean, it's gotta look better than nothing (which is what's on there now)

Archived