IGNORED

Nasty coil whine after recap

-^CrossBow^-

So yeah...I spent a few hours recapping both my jag and jag CD. The kit I purchased uses mostly Nichicon caps so I was impressed with that quite a bit. However, after capping everything I now have a very noticeable coil whine sound coming from the Jaguar itself as soon as it is turned on and it is also somewhat audible through the audio.

It didn't do this before the cap replacement and I double checked all the cap values and polarity as I took them out and replace them one by one. I thought at first maybe one of the caps was hissing but the jag has been playing an audio CD for nearly 2 hours now without any issues. I did have one thing I had to change as the cap kit was missing the 2.2uf 50v that goes in C24 on the main board. I did some reading up on that part of the circuit and so used what I had on hand which, was a 10uf 50v cap. Could that be the issue? I can tell you that the audio is much much louder on my jag now than it was before hence, why I did the cap replacement in the first place.

I know that some coil whine is normal on early model Jags, and according to the Rev on my PCB I have a Rev B. But I never heard it before and now you can literally hear it from across the room it is that loud.

I have also tried different PS as I normally use a model 1 Genesis power supply for both my Jag and Jag CD without issues. The whine only lessens a bit if I use a 1602 10v 1.2am Genesis power supply but that doesn't make sense why increasing voltage would make it less noticeable?

Anyway, I'm going to leave it for now as it appears to play just fine but that whine is damn annoying. Could new caps suddenly cause it to produce this and it just needs some burn in time? Anyway, sorry for the thousand questions as it is just odd but any ideas are very welcome.

Well..a little investigation and I found the culprit. It would appear that the replacement 2200uf cap was faulty. I put the original back in and the coil whine and hissing is no more. To be sure, I placed the new one back in again, and the whine and hiss came back. Put the original back in...no whine and no hiss. So for now it is fine, but I will getting that one replaced out soon.