IGNORED

Now with the NX on the horizon, what are your plans for your 3DS?

Unbeliever

When I got the first DS (loved that thing and miss it today), it wasn't a "let's wait and see" attitude, it was a "I'm getting on release day" thing. And of course I was infuriated that there were only a very small handful of games for it. So much so I sold it. Of course, a few months later, the DS has a great library of base games and I kicked myself for not just being patient, so I bought it again. That was a stupid move to spend twice the money that I needed to.

The thing with the "wait and see" will probably be more prevalent due to Nintendo's less than stellar Wii U. Die hard fans will have the system regardless, but others will adopt the policy to see how the NX does over a period of time for sales, what games are released to begin with, where's the third party support, etc. The price quote I've heard for the system is $439.00. But of course that could just be speculation at this point. We won't know until Nintendo lets us all know.

I had similar issues with my Wii-U and 3DS. 3DS in the early months was dreadful until LOZ:OOT3D dropped and they updated it to support eShop and web browser. I was still desparate for games as the AR cards, Face Raiders, and minigame stuff they packed in got boring fast. Wii-U had a similar drought but at least it launched with a NSMB game.

3DS was $250 when it came out, too. I thought it was expensive for what it was (my iPhone 3GS outclassed it graphically), but it was nice to get those 20 Ambassador games as consolation prizes. I'm puzzled as to why they still haven't brought GBA or SNES games to the 3DS eShop.

I still have their GBA Ambassador games running on my New 3DS xL. Their emulator won't run on 3DS (not enough horsepower) so the Ambassador games ran in native GBA mode. No save states, no suspend, no logging, CPU keeps running with the lid closed until the battery dies. Nintendo was going to get a lot of complaints from their customer base if they released GBA games running in native mode. I would have still bought some and enjoyed them however.

Getting GBA running on 3DS is sorta like running Game Cube on a Wii-U. The 3DS was b/c with DS which was b/c with GBA. Likewise the Wii-U was b/c with Wii which was b/c with GB, but no controller ports or card slots to actually play the games. Homebrewers prooved it can be done through Wii mode, but what's the point?

In any event, it's good to see that some games recently released on the 3DS (ala FEF) have sold out in my area. After several visits to stores, not one copy was on the horizon (and I really wanted to start an FE game, too). I know the 3DS is having it's last "hey days" as it were (probably one to two more years), but it's great to know that some titles will boost the 3DS sales.

Now if I can just get a copy of FEF...I'll be wondering what all the hoopla is about with this game. The gentleman at Gamestop suggested Awakening to start with, but of course he didn't have that, either. :ponder:

I'll be real disappointed if the NX gets rid of carts, but eh, if they put out some good games I'll have to get one.

My 3DS won't be going anywhere. Even if the next handheld is fully backwards compatible (with 3DS, DSi eShop, and DS carts), that would just make it all the easier to keep my 3DS running homebrew.

I kinda wish fewer people had taken the "let's wait and see" approach with the Wii-U.

It didn't help that it took them a few years to release a killer app for it (still waiting on Zelda), and most people thought the WiiU was just a new controller for the Wii.

• Like 2

There's no real evidence there was a notable number of people who took a "wait and see" approach with the Wii U. It just had too many factors working against it, including a predecessor that kind of limped through its last few years, a predecessor that had fad appeal, i.e., mass appeal with people who don't normally buy videogames, lost interest, and then wouldn't buy videogames again, etc. It's not like the PS4 had any killer apps and certainly very few people took a wait and see approach with that. For whatever (and multiple) reasons, the Wii U just failed to resonate. The NX has a tough road ahead, but it's still quite possible Nintendo can reignite interest in their platforms with the right approach.

In regards to the 3DS, I was one of the "Ambassador Program" recipients. Frankly, instead of getting games I may or may not have wanted, I would have preferred to have initially paid less (or at least gotten a credit so I could buy games that I wanted).

I'll almost certainly try and get the NX at launch since I try and get everything, but right now my main TV has an Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, RetroN 5, and Retro Freak hooked up to it. I'll have to consider what system I'll want to relocate to another TV in the house (maybe the RetroN 5) since I don't want to replicate the number of systems I used to have hooked up there when I had a different wall unit in place.

I don't think nintendo would have Trouble running either GBA on the 3DS or GC on a WiiU. The architectures are mostly the same as far as I know. WiiU is just a beefed up Wii, that was just a beefed up GC. Or did I miss something?

The deal is that GBA or Game Cube VC would be running on a compatability layer instead of through emulation. You get none of the perks afforded to other VC games such as suspend, save states, ect. The console gets locked down when in compatability mode and needs to be rebooted to get back to the system menu. These issues might make it a deal breaker to some customers.

It didn't help that it took them a few years to release a killer app for it (still waiting on Zelda), and most people thought the WiiU was just a new controller for the Wii.

I wonder how true this really was. Nintendo could have rectified the situation if they had just launched an ad campaign. The Wii-U had a yearlong headstart on the others and nothing but silence on Nintendo's end. They rather release press videos online, but that's preaching to the choir. Nintendo needed to get the word out but didn't, so in a way it is their own fault it didn't resonate with the general public.

I'll almost certainly try and get the NX at launch since I try and get everything, but right now my main TV has an Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, RetroN 5, and Retro Freak hooked up to it. I'll have to consider what system I'll want to relocate to another TV in the house (maybe the RetroN 5) since I don't want to replicate the number of systems I used to have hooked up there when I had a different wall unit in place.
Get an HDMI switch.

I wonder how true this really was. Nintendo could have rectified the situation if they had just launched an ad campaign. The Wii-U had a yearlong headstart on the others and nothing but silence on Nintendo's end. They rather release press videos online, but that's preaching to the choir. Nintendo needed to get the word out but didn't, so in a way it is their own fault it didn't resonate with the general public.

Get an HDMI switch.

I have an HDMI switch, obviously. It's keeping my cabinet tasteful and reasonably organized that's more important, as well as only having the most used systems on the main TV.

As crazy as it sounds, I think there was sufficient evidence that there was genuine confusion with both consumers and retailers about the Wii U just being an add-on for the Wii, which again already lost all of its momentum in its last few years. It didn't help matters that it looked kind of the same, could use all the same peripherals (in fact, was designed for that), had a native Wii mode, etc. I genuinely think there was plenty of advertising for it (and there was even a commercial that Nintendo put out later on that specifically stated how it was different from the Wii to help mitigate that confusion), but there were just too many factors working against it. Certainly Nintendo themselves miscalculated by assuming that a system on more or less parity with Xbox 360 and PS3 technology would get all of the ports from those systems when software development for those systems was also going to start to wind down once their successors came out. Anyway, we've discussed ad nauseam in other threads.

I haven't been paying much attention to the Nintendo scene with the NX etc but is it basically stand for Nintendo Cross, as in cross platform? Like I said, I don't follow the latest Nintendo news but it seems like the new system with be a portable that can hook up to a tv? Interesting.

Well my 3ds and library of almost 50 games (think I'm at 48 carts plus some DS carts) I'm set for a while. I'll have to see what the NX has that makes it special (IE GAMES) and if there's something there and they mention some future titles that grab my attention, I might pick one up at or near launch. Even if I get one, doesn't mean the 3ds is going anywhere.

This NX (I'll assume that's the code name which means it'll be called something else when it hits the market) may have an easier time than the WiiU. There were so many regular people who were confused by the WiiU... thinking it was an add-on for the Wii or a different version of the Wii. People were tired of the Wii brand and Nintendo doubled down on the brand... big mistake. As long as they don't call the NX the Super WiiU or something crazy using the Wii name, they may be ok. Time will tell though... maybe I'll start paying attention to the Big N again...

Nintendo NX might be the best Name they come up for a console since the Game Cube and Nintendo DS. I hope they keep that.

I hope this is a Card based System similar to what the 3DS is.

As far as the 3DS goes, I might even get a New 3DS if the Prices drop significantly. The 2DS is becomming a good buy also. new it's 100 euro right now, and use it's going for 70. That's a really nice Price for a kid's System. I can see myself giving me daughter one down the line. She won't run out of good games to Play for quite a while. Joining the 3DS and DS libraries it's just massive with a ton of Quality games. IMO the 3DS is one of those Systems that could be your only System for your entire life. You just won't run out of games to Play. By the time you played it through you're probably going to want to go back to the great titles to Play them again...

Being objective we have to agree we haven#t needed a new System for a decade already. There's already too many games out there. And, again IMO, very few games out there bring actual good Innovation that makes it worth investing in new platforms. It's just a handfull of games each Generation. Still when Prices drop it's worth getting.

As for the NX: I want to see Nintendo go back to doing the best they can. I see a clear difference between The old nintendo and what they're doing now. They seem to be afraid of pushing it. Can't blame them, because they release an amazing game like Kid Icarus Uprising and get barely any credit for that. But I'd like to see the People who created the first Zelda and the first Metroid back to a blank drawing board trying to make something new, and not another zelda and a new Mario. The great nintendo was not about rehashing stuff. It was about pushing boundaries and excelling at making things they never done before. And I can still see the Qualities of the old Nintendo in some of their designs. As I said, I just feel they're afraid of the Commercial consequences of making a really good game today. People might not "get it", and from a financial perspective innovating nowadays is a risk just not worth it for the big guys. The People who have to innovate are the small guys who Need to diferentiate themselves from the other 10.000 small guys out there.

Edited by leods

I'm not sure how many kids did download the old Pokemon games, for example, and play them with enjoyment. They seem more excited for the upcoming Sun and Moon games that will be released some time around the holiday, but I could be mistaken. Me personally, I am enjoying the old classic Yellow like it was just released for the first time. Nostalgia, I believe, plays another key role in that enjoyment. Let's face it...it's really graphically challenged, but the game play is spectacular.

My hope is that Nintendo will do this thing right with the NX and cross-platform the system for multiple use. That would get the big N noticed again, I think, and treat a variety of gamers on both sides of the gaming platform to a well-enjoyed gaming system. Me? As leods said, the 3DS is my primary console and I have tons of titles to enjoy over the course of many, many years. I hope I won't get bored of it anytime soon, since my library is quite meager now and I can only buy one game a month at this point with my income. Planning what to purchase during a given month, is half the fun.

I would love to see some great quality games come out for the NX when it's released. The types of games that "wowed" us when they were first released and made our collective jaws drop. THAT would make Nintendo well known and loved by not only it's fans but by general gamers as well. I probably should have waited for the NX's release to get my new 3DS, but I really wanted to experience Mario, Link, and the rest again. They were and still are very much a part of my gaming life, as much as Atari still is today.

Who would have thought that the replay value of Pokemon Yellow would have me catching them all yet again? Even after the most recent releases are there, but also the price point ($10) is great and a factor for me. Many hours of enjoyment, building my team up, finding and nurturing my favorite Pokemon......priceless.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how many kids did download the old Pokemon games, for example, and play them with enjoyment. They seem more excited for the upcoming Sun and Moon games that will be released some time around the holiday, but I could be mistaken. Me personally, I am enjoying the old classic Yellow like it was just released for the first time. Nostalgia, I believe, plays another key role in that enjoyment. Let's face it...it's really graphically challenged, but the game play is spectacular.

Well they got three downloads in our house. I got Red, and the kids both got Yellow. I will probably get Blue later.

There is a Street Pass club and a Pokemon club in our city and they are going to do some tournaments for first generations Pokemon games.

I'm playing Fire Emblem Fates now, Bravley Default End Layer in a month or too and hoping I get one more Monster Hunter (X) for the system. I think I'll be satisfied with that and the 3DS can go down as probably my favorite system of all time. It really has scratched my RPG itch is a world full of fewer RPGs. I'm also in the middle of Xenoblade now and can't give it enough praise. I used to think people were making excuses for it because it was a rare wii game but it by far has the most beautiful and amazing environments of any game I have played.

I'll definitely keep my system, MM special edition New 3DS. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't change formats too much but I understand that I'm more of a niche consumer and can't blame them for it.

Xenoblade is a great game on the handheld and one I fully intend to pick up before the end of the year. I was even contemplating picking up the limited edition/special edition of End Layer as well, since I very rarely get a special edition of any game, this might be my "first" for the 3DS. There's been some raving going on in my Nintendo Facebook Group about End Layer, but mostly the Pokemon Sun and Moon games that are due by the end of 2016.

I will continue to buy games for it, since I probably won't have the funds to buy an NX when it arrives. If you come to the conclusion that the NX will be out by Christmas of this year, how long do you think Nintendo will continue to offer support? I'm sure the third party companies will eventually stop producing games for it altogether, but there are hundreds of games already for the system.

The deal is that GBA or Game Cube VC would be running on a compatability layer instead of through emulation.

WiiU actually can technically run GC games, but the disc drive itself can't read them. There's a homebrew program for the Wii that will run GC ISO files, and lets you use different controller configs, but they (rightfully so) have a copyright scheme to prevent you from pirating games, and it's too much work to be worth the effort, IMO.

It's supposed to work on the small model of Wii, also (the one with no Internet or GC ports).

...I'd like to see the People who created ... the first Metroid back to a blank drawing board trying to make something new...

Well, that will be difficult, because he died =X

But in all seriousness, Nintendo are always trying out new IPs, but most of them don't wind up being very popular. Splatoon is definitely an exception, I'm surprised at how huge it's gotten.

This NX (I'll assume that's the code name which means it'll be called something else when it hits the market)...

Exactly.

The Sega 3D Classics release of the 1986 arcade classic is of course on the eShop. And like all the arcade classics there, it runs in 60 fps and outputs in true 16:9.

http://blogs.sega.com/2015/03/05/sega-3d-classics-3d-out-run-part-1/

60 fps often just meant that they retained the arcade's original frame rate in the case of several of these classics like Space Harrier. But in the case of Outrun, it actually represents a doubling from 30 to 60 frames per second. And no damage was done to the sense of speed this time, like oddly happened the last time a 60 fps version appeared for the Saturn.

And it doesn't accomplish 16:9 via stretching and distorting the image or merely being cropped and zoomed in like the remastered Resident Evil remake cheaply does on contemporary Xbox and Playstation consoles when running in widescreen. Additional areas to the left and right are instead rendered to fill the screen in Sega's lineup of arcade classics in their 3D Classics program (Sega Master System and Genesis titles remain 4:3).

post-2825-0-24590400-1456882050.jpg

post-2825-0-39856000-1456882067.jpg

Edited by Atariboy