IGNORED

Adjusted Console Prices

Sir Jay

The adjusted prices are not far off the original retail prices of these consoles in Australia...

I remember the 3D0 was around $1000 and the NeoGeo was $1200...

The PlayStation 1 debuted for $700, the PS2 around the same, and the top of the line PS3 was $1000.

I bought a SNES later in its life for $200, but this was after it had been discounted from $300 or maybe more.

- J

For reference, the first time I saw a HD DVD Player (or might have been BluRay), price was $999. Blank 25GB BluRay discs were sold individually and cost $24.99 each. Snickers bars were $0.50 at Walgreens.

i think i paid $600 for my first hd-dvd player. I bought 3 bdr's and a bdrw. the bdrw cost 50 dollars.

My first IBM-compatible PC was around $2500. While it wasn't a piece of crap, it certainly wasn't a powerhouse.

That kind of money today (let's call it around $3700 or so) would buy one hell of a nice PC.

Stuff got cheap.

But food and housing, energy and clothing got expensive.

These new carts that we are making are relatively 'cheap' but considering all of the other financial stress and strain people are under, no wonder they feel they are 'expensive' when they've not even kept up with inflation from their original prices.

• Like 1

These new carts that we are making are relatively 'cheap' but considering all of the other financial stress and strain people are under, no wonder they feel they are 'expensive' when they've not even kept up with inflation from their original prices.

I also think we suffer a bit from the same effect that led to the Crash - when you can go out and buy several hundred titles for a buck or 2 each, paying $70 for a single game seems crazy. This ignores quality of course.

It's even worse today because you can pick up dozens of QUALITY 80s games for a buck or 2 each. Most people's interest in the hobby doesn't extend much beyond that.

People certainly have more disposable income than 30 years ago, though. We've just re-defined what's a "necessity" vs a "luxury". A lot of what used to be the latter is now considered to be the former, so while most things are cheaper than ever, we want/need so much more of it. So we all end up poor.

People certainly have more disposable income than 30 years ago, though. We've just re-defined what's a "necessity" vs a "luxury". A lot of what used to be the latter is now considered to be the former, so while most things are cheaper than ever, we want/need so much more of it. So we all end up poor.

That and the short useful life of so many things these days. Clothes are thinner and wear out quickly. Several friends had their refrigerators die after less than 10 years, even though some of the refrigerators were pretty high-end. And on and on. Keep having to re-buy what you have just to stay even, and pretty soon there's not much money to progress. :(

That and the short useful life of so many things these days. Clothes are thinner and wear out quickly. Several friends had their refrigerators die after less than 10 years, even though some of the refrigerators were pretty high-end. And on and on. Keep having to re-buy what you have just to stay even, and pretty soon there's not much money to progress. :(

Ugh, electronics. More specifically mobile phones. I get three years out of a phone and that's probably above average.

• Like 1

... though there was a time in the past when a fridge cost 2 month's wages. Those ones lasted a long time.

... though there was a time in the past when a fridge cost 2 month's wages. Those ones lasted a long time.

Good point, the average cost was higher back when things lasted longer. Those toasters from the 50s were rock solid and, if something went wrong, they were worth repairing. Now they're a $10-$20 item that's made to be thrown away after all too few uses.

These days, in some categories, there doesn't seem to be much of a choice, though. Even high-end stuff can be poorly made and you're just paying for the brand logo on it.